Obama's mandate ??????????

Who thinks Obama has a MANDATE, exactly?

Nobody I know.

And just what is a mandate?

For those who think it's license for a POTUS to do what he wants just because he won by a wide margin, then not even Reagan had that after 1984.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a mandate these days. The margin of victory in a Presidential election is more indicative of the distaste people have for the administration sitting in the office at the time of the election. The same holds true for every political office.

Exactly true. Obama ran on a platform of .."my opponent is anothe Bush"....he used "the last 8 years" more often than he used "change" on the campaign trail.

I think his mandate is:
Copy%20of%20Clean-up-in-aisle-5.jpg

What about all the conservatives who, from day one of Obama's presidency, started fear-mongering about FEMA concentration camps and Obama's secret army?

WTF???? Step away from the crackpipe.

Are you saying that you never heard that rhetoric?

Obama's 'civilian national security force'
FEMA Concentration and Internment Camps

It's a shame you've never been on the Hannity Boards... it's plastered all over there.

Not to mention Glenn Beck talked about the "FEMA concentration camps" on his show....

...then had to retract it later. :lol:

WTF???? Step away from the crackpipe.

It's a shame you've never been on the Hannity Boards... it's plastered all over there.

Not to mention Glenn Beck talked about the "FEMA concentration camps" on his show....

He did talk about it, but he was DEBUNKING that myth. From the Huff-Puff:

Glenn Beck: FEMA Concentration Camps Do Not Exist (VIDEO)

He did talk about it, but he was DEBUNKING that myth. From the Huff-Puff:

Glenn Beck: FEMA Concentration Camps Do Not Exist (VIDEO)

Yeah, here's another video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izjfdfDHjWQ]YouTube - Glenn Beck's FEMA Backflip[/ame]

This video consists of a several clips from from Fox News featuring Glenn Beck. In the first part he makes some very disturbing claims about the reality of FEMA detainment camps and the possiblity of a totalitarian takeover of the United States with the imposition of martial law. In the next segment he completely reverses his position, saying that the information was not properly researched, despite having claimed earlier that his team had spent days researching and "could not debunk it".

Hey, Glenn is a typical compensator for his previous addictions. He is now addicted to religion and wingnut far right causes. No big deal. Want to know where he is coming from? Go read Cleon Skousen, The Naked Communist. The delusional side of the right wing in this country swear by it.

I remember when Bush claimed to have a mandate and was trounced on by the media and the Dems. (Of course I was looking at the margin of victory and wondering exactly where this mandate came from).

When Obama won by a narrower margin and claimed a mandate the silence was deafening.
(Again I was wondering exactly where this mandate came from)

Uuuuuummmmm.
Yea, Bush had no mandate, but liked to think his appointment by the Court gave it to him?

I remember when Bush claimed to have a mandate and was trounced on by the media and the Dems. (Of course I was looking at the margin of victory and wondering exactly where this mandate came from).

When Obama won by a narrower margin and claimed a mandate the silence was deafening.
(Again I was wondering exactly where this mandate came from)

Uuuuuummmmm.
Yea, Bush had no mandate, but liked to think his appointment by the Court gave it to him?

Neither won by a vast majority yet both claimed to have a mandate after they were elected.
Go figure.

In 2004, Bush got 50.74% of the vote to Kerry's 48.27% a 2.47% difference.
United States presidential election, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2008 Obama got 52.93% of the vote to McCain's 45.66% a 7.27% difference.
United States presidential election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes I know, I made a mistake in my initial posting, oops.
7.27% is still not a hugh enough margin to claim anyone has been given a mandate.

When you combine the magnitude of Obamas victory (he did win by a 2:1 margin in electoral votes) along with the trouncing republicans took in the Senate, House and Governorships....there was a mandate.

The mandate was that the people were mad as hell over what the republicans had done to our country and they did not want them around anymore.

In 2004, Bush got 50.74% of the vote to Kerry's 48.27% a 2.47% difference.
United States presidential election, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2008 Obama got 52.93% of the vote to McCain's 45.66% a 7.27% difference.
United States presidential election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes I know, I made a mistake in my initial posting, oops.
7.27% is still not a hugh enough margin to claim anyone has been given a mandate.

When you combine the magnitude of Obamas victory (he did win by a 2:1 margin in electoral votes) along with the trouncing republicans took in the Senate, House and Governorships....there was a mandate.

The mandate was that the people were mad as hell over what the republicans had done to our country and they did not want them around anymore.

What I initially posted was after the election Obama claimed to have a specific mandate, not the "everyone now hates Republicans so now we have a mandate to undo everything they did" rhetoric.
We were talking popular, not electoral votes. And while the Republicans lost a goodly number in both houses and in governorships the margins were still not that signifigant (IMHO) for any politician to claim a mandate. (Notice I did not specify party).
If the popular vote had been a 2:1 margin and the Repubs had lost 1/2 of their seats then I would have to agree with you. If the 1/3 (at a minimum) of all those who voted for Obama simply because they wanted to be among the first to elect a black president had voted for Obama because they believed in his policies then again I would agree with you.
So I'll just have to go along with your trailer: If I ageed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Enjoying your rhetoric? Any examples of Liberals who "ran for the hills" when Bush was president?

What about all the conservatives who, from day one of Obama's presidency, started fear-mongering about FEMA concentration camps and Obama's secret army?

Alec Baldwin. Oh, wait . . . . he didn't. All talk I guess.

The mandate was simple....Republican policies destroyed the country.....Fix it

The mandate was simple....Republican policies destroyed the country.....Fix it

Could you possibly put that in non-partisan, un-biased, rational and realistic terms?
Regurgiating rhetoric is not discussing the issue. Remember the old acronymn GIGO?

What I initially posted was after the election Obama claimed to have a specific mandate, not the "everyone now hates Republicans so now we have a mandate to undo everything they did" rhetoric.
We were talking popular, not electoral votes. And while the Republicans lost a goodly number in both houses and in governorships the margins were still not that signifigant (IMHO) for any politician to claim a mandate. (Notice I did not specify party)....

It's funny, for years after Bush won 2000, I was told repeatedly the popular vote didn't count, cause that's not how presidential politics works. The Electoral College was all that mattered. Of course they had to say that cause it must have been damn embarrassing to admit the Boy President LOST the popular vote.

And you're wrong about it not being a mandate.

But let's back up a bit: In 2006, for the first time in history, the Democratic Party didn't lose a single seat it held going into election day--not in the House, the Senate, or any Governor's mansion. A perfect retention rate.

Every single incumbent Congressperson who lost their seat in 2006 was a Republican! And that includes 6 incumbent U.S. Senators having lost their seats in 2006, all Republicans.

In 2008 The Republicans lost every region of the country by double digits except the South, which they won by less than double digits (9 points).

The historic election turned 9 red states blue, and failed to flip a single seat. That's historic. And yeah, that's a mandate.

In fact, those two elections go down in gigantic proportions in the history books: Both instances where a political party failed to take control of a single seat in the House or Senate. The Republicans literally have not won an election against a Democratic incumbent since 2004.

Take that and have a man-date with them apples.

Forum List

Back