Obama's likabilty vs performance

The Bush administration's ignorant and belligerent style of "diplomacy" was concerning/irritating to the rest of the world.
Obama has a lot of work to do to restore the US's standing and he has shown that he is genuinely concerned with doing so.
For that reason alone he still has a lot of respect from outside the US borders.

Admittedly the rest of the world doesn't vote for him...but I offer this as a perspective from the other side of the world.
I suspect that most Americans really don't know how destructive the Bush administration was to foreign relations.

What? Bush didn't go around bowing and apologizing for us... is that what has you all upset?

Hmmm...I think I see the problem.
If all Merkans are like you and believe that there are only two forms of diplomacy
1. 'Bowing and apologising'
2. Throwing your weight around
I guess you will always take Option 2.

Of course, there might be other options as well - maybe Messrs Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld etc should have tried to Google 'diplomacy methods of', or got onto ehow.com and typed in 'how do I get what i want without pissing everyone else off'.

The Bush administration's ignorant and belligerent style of "diplomacy" was concerning/irritating to the rest of the world.
Obama has a lot of work to do to restore the US's standing and he has shown that he is genuinely concerned with doing so.
For that reason alone he still has a lot of respect from outside the US borders.

Admittedly the rest of the world doesn't vote for him...but I offer this as a perspective from the other side of the world.
I suspect that most Americans really don't know how destructive the Bush administration was to foreign relations.

What? Bush didn't go around bowing and apologizing for us... is that what has you all upset?

If all Merkans are like you and believe that there are only two forms of diplomacy

Of course, there might be other options as well - maybe Messrs Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld etc should have tried to Google 'diplomacy methods of', or got onto ehow.com and typed in 'how do I get what i want without pissing everyone else off'.

Ok dear, just who did he piss off?

Bowing? No.

Kissing?

Yes. And kissing men.

Um ... I didn't know this. Video please.

Bowing? No.

Kissing?

Yes. And kissing men.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhDzpJV2TM]Brokeback Bush: thetruth.7p.com - YouTube[/ame]

Smoochie smoochie.

ewwwwwwwwwwww ... I mean it's obvious Bush is as uncomfortable as balls holding hands and then is about to puke when he kisses him but still it's pretty weird. I'm socially liberal though so ... whatever.

Just about all of your allies with this gem "Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." for a start.

Just about all of your allies with this gem "Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." for a start.

-------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess your country wasn't with us then? And I don't remember if those were his EXACT words.
Our allies all understood what he meant, too bad you didn't. Maybe if your country is so unfortunate to be hit with a 9/11, you'd understand. And my dear, I am not wishing that on you, just saying.

edit: found this..
'You are either with us or against us'
November 6, 2001 Posted: 10:13 p.m. EST (0313 GMT)

Bush addresses an antiterrorism summit in Warsaw via satellite phone before meeting with Chirac on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Tuesday that there was no room for neutrality in the war against terrorism.

In a joint news conference with French President Jacques Chirac, Bush said coalition partners would be called upon to back up their support with action. He said he would deliver that message in his speech Saturday to the United Nations.

"A coalition partner must do more than just express sympathy, a coalition partner must perform," Bush said. "That means different things for different nations. Some nations don't want to contribute troops and we understand that. Other nations can contribute intelligence-sharing. ... But all nations, if they want to fight terror, must do something."

Bush said he would not point out any specific countries in his speech.

"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror." (Full story)

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/gen.attack.on.terror/

Last edited:
Still would rather have a beer with GW Bush. (Yes, Bush!) I feel like I could talk honestly with him without looking up the nostrils of an arrogant man who says what would make good sound bites.

Bush would admit to mistakes. Obama would blame a robot first.

Still would rather have a beer with GW Bush. (Yes, Bush!) I feel like I could talk honestly with him without looking up the nostrils of an arrogant man who says what would make good sound bites.

I too reckon Bush would be decent bloke to have a drink with...not too sure about the kissing thing though.

I too reckon Bush would be decent bloke to have a drink with...not too sure about the kissing thing though.

Same here, and I am a woman.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhDzpJV2TM]Brokeback Bush: thetruth.7p.com - YouTube[/ame]

Smoochie smoochie.

ewwwwwwwwwwww ... I mean it's obvious Bush is as uncomfortable as balls holding hands and then is about to puke when he kisses him but still it's pretty weird. I'm socially liberal though so ... whatever.

Stephanie.... STEPHANIE.... don't let these shit stains pull their crap over your eyes... the stills are PHOTO SHOPPED to make it APPEAR they're kissing... it's FAKE!!

Holding hands, yes. Kissing, NO. It's not even as good a photoshop forgery as obama's certificate of birth.

-------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess your country wasn't with us then? And I don't remember if those were his EXACT words.
Our allies all understood what he meant, too bad you didn't. Maybe if your country is so unfortunate to be hit with a 9/11, you'd understand. And my dear, I am not wishing that on you, just saying.

edit: found this..
'You are either with us or against us'
November 6, 2001 Posted: 10:13 p.m. EST (0313 GMT)

Bush addresses an antiterrorism summit in Warsaw via satellite phone before meeting with Chirac on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Tuesday that there was no room for neutrality in the war against terrorism.

In a joint news conference with French President Jacques Chirac, Bush said coalition partners would be called upon to back up their support with action. He said he would deliver that message in his speech Saturday to the United Nations.

"A coalition partner must do more than just express sympathy, a coalition partner must perform," Bush said. "That means different things for different nations. Some nations don't want to contribute troops and we understand that. Other nations can contribute intelligence-sharing. ... But all nations, if they want to fight terror, must do something."

Bush said he would not point out any specific countries in his speech.

"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror." (Full story)

CNN.com - 'You are either with us or against us' - November 6, 2001

He said it as I quoted before the US Congress...but it isn't important enough to argue about.

Our country and most were with yours.
The attacks on the US were seen with horror by most in the Western world, but the subsequent attempts to convince allies to join you in reprisals were often clumsy and seen as bullying.
What many of your allies understood by his speech was "support us or suffer the consequences".

In my lifetime - LBJ was the most dislikable president as a human being.

Pulled Beagles ears.

LBJ was ruthless. He was coupled with J Edgar Hoover and the two of them made an almost invincible political duo.

I was a manager in a large computing center operated by a prime contractor for the DOE during the 1960's and for the first time we were told by the government that we would hire 10% minorities and begin to even up the discrapancies in salaries between men and women employees. Johnson was a Democrat's Democrat. If he had not been suckered into the Vietnam war he would have been a great president.

Having said that I was a Republican for the first 30 years of my voting lifetime. I voted for Nixon three times.

Last edited:

Stephanie.... STEPHANIE.... don't let these shit stains pull their crap over your eyes... the stills are PHOTO SHOPPED to make it APPEAR they're kissing... it's FAKE!!

Holding hands, yes. Kissing, NO. It's not even as good a photoshop forgery as obama's certificate of birth.

Pale dear, I didn't comment on that silly post by sallow, leweman did. I've seen that picture before.

People just like the guy.

Doesn't matter how terrible a president he is.

That's why he has a 75% chance of getting re-elected - unless there is a full-scale economic depression.

Meanwhile, the war has ended.

War effectively ended a while ago.

the problem is we are going to have a bigger one to fight in the future because this idiot has enabled the Islamists all over the region by throwing out allies under the bus.

That's why he has a 75% chance of getting re-elected - unless there is a full-scale economic depression.

Really? You know where many of the troops who have been withdrawn from Iraq are now? I know, Obama kept his promise and pulled them out of Iraq by the end of the year, but most of them have been moved into Afghanistan. Nice, huh? Oh, but there's no war there.

You're right....we all know where most of the soldiers are going from there. My son is at Ft Bragg and there's a bunch of them getting ready to deploy to Afgh in the next couple weeks. Thankfully he isn't going....yet.

And besides, it was actually that Obama kept Bush's promise to leave Iraq by the end of 2011. Obama wanted to keep some of our military there, but the Iraqi gov't wouldn't agree to give our soldiers immunity from their laws if they stayed. So Obama didn't have much of a choice. But at least he got to pat himself on the back and take credit for getting us out of there, that should have made him feel a little better about himself!

War effectively ended a while ago.

the problem is we are going to have a bigger one to fight in the future because this idiot has enabled the Islamists all over the region by throwing out allies under the bus.

That is one of the most stupid political statements I've heard during my lifetime.....'course I'm just 77.

George Bush's family and the Bin Ladens were close through conncections with big oil. When 9-11 occurred all flights were grounded and the Bushes made arrangements for some of the Bin Ladens to fly out of the country anyway. In the mountains at Toro Boro our special forces had Osama Bin Laden cornered with no way out. Guess what George W. Bush did...........pulled them away. The last three years of Bush's second term he answered the press' inquiries about Bin Laden with, "I Don't Worry About Him Much" or "I Don't Care"

History will prove that the right wing antics of the Republican party not only cost us our reputation in the world but also proved that statements like, "God Told Me To Invade Iraq" are moronic and incite other religions to a boiling point.

Did you know that before Bush invaded Iraq there had never been a suicide bombing in Iraq's history

Did you know that after they started 2 million Iraqis fled to Syria and Jordon

Did you know that a conservative estimate of innocent Iraqis killed during the war is about 150,000

Did you know that the first time Barack Obama got the chance he ordered our special forces to kill Osama Bin Laden and dump his radical ass into the ocean

Last edited:

That is one of the most stupid political statements I've heard during my lifetime.....'course I'm just 77.

George Bush's family and the Bin Ladens were close through conncections with big oil. When 9-11 occurred all flights were grounded and the Bushes made arrangements for some of the Bin Ladens to fly out of the country anyway. In the mountains at Toro Boro our special forces had Osama Bin Laden cornered with no way out. Guess what George W. Bush did...........pulled them away. The last three years of Bush's second term he answered the press' inquiries about Bin Laden with, "I Don't Worry About Him Much" or "I Don't Care"
Actually, anyone who makes a statement like 'We had him cornered in Toro Boro" just shows his military ignorance. Fact is, we didn't have much of a footprint in Afghanistan in December 2001, and we had to rely on people who weren't reliable for help.

Fact is, Bin Laden himself became completely irrelevent under Bush.

History will prove that the right wing antics of the Republican party not only cost us our reputation in the world but also proved that statements like, "God Told Me To Invade Iraq" are moronic and incite other religions to a boiling point.

Why do liberals spend so much time worrying about what people in other countries think? If you base your happiness on what other people think, you will always be unhappy.

Did you know that before Bush invaded Iraq there had never been a suicide bombing in Iraq's history

Did you know that after they started 2 million Iraqis fled to Syria and Jordon

Did you know that a conservative estimate of innocent Iraqis killed during the war is about 150,000

Except that Saddam killed up to a million of his own people and a half million more died because of the "Peaceful" sactions imposed on him. Most of those Iraqis were "innocent", too.

I do think a lot of how the war was conducted was flawed. Bush should have instituted a draft and built up an army large enough to do the job, and raised the taxes to do it. People would have understood. We tried to do it on the cheap, and it cost us more.

But the overall result was good. Saddam is gone.

Did you know that the first time Barack Obama got the chance he ordered our special forces to kill Osama Bin Laden and dump his radical ass into the ocean

Again, so what? Before he was killed, when was the last time Bin Laden was even in the News. Man hadn't even released an audiotape since 2005. Killing him was almost anti-climatic. It was like dragging some geriatric Nazi out of South America.

Bin Laden was a symptom. The disease, which is the radicalization of Islam, has been made worse under Obama. Islamists now control Egypt, once our most important ally over there after Israel, and they are driving out the Coptic Christians. Libya is now flying the Al Qaeda flag. Pakistan is allying itself with China and the Iranians are getting bolder. Karzai is trying to cut a deal with the Taliban because he can't rely on us to be there much longer.

Obama killed one guy. Our overall position in the region is much weaker.

Forum List

Back