Obama's Iraq plan

stivex

puts the gu in guru
Jul 4, 2008
Virginia
Source: Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Iraq

"A Responsible, Phased Withdrawal

Barack Obama believes we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his Secretary of Defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war. The removal of our troops will be responsible and phased, directed by military commanders on the ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government. Military experts believe we can safely redeploy combat brigades from Iraq at a pace of 1 to 2 brigades a month that would remove them in 16 months. That would be the summer of 2010 – more than 7 years after the war began.

Under the Obama plan, a residual force will remain in Iraq and in the region to conduct targeted counter-terrorism missions against al Qaeda in Iraq and to protect American diplomatic and civilian personnel. He will not build permanent bases in Iraq, but will continue efforts to train and support the Iraqi security forces as long as Iraqi leaders move toward political reconciliation and away from sectarianism."

Of course, I posted this to show all the Obama lackeys that his withdrawal plan DOES NOT mean all forces will be pulled out of Iraq.

Barack Obama believes we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his Secretary of Defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war. The removal of our troops will be responsible and phased, directed by military commanders on the ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government. Military experts believe we can safely redeploy combat brigades from Iraq at a pace of 1 to 2 brigades a month that would remove them in 16 months. That would be the summer of 2010 – more than 7 years after the war began.

Under the Obama plan, a residual force will remain in Iraq and in the region to conduct targeted counter-terrorism missions against al Qaeda in Iraq and to protect American diplomatic and civilian personnel. He will not build permanent bases in Iraq, but will continue efforts to train and support the Iraqi security forces as long as Iraqi leaders move toward political reconciliation and away from sectarianism."

Of course, I posted this to show all the Obama lackeys that his withdrawal plan DOES NOT mean all forces will be pulled out of Iraq.

Yeah...we knew that.

Thanks for finally acknowledging what some of us have been pointing out for a while now, though.

I know that many of us know this, editec. This post is basically to educate those that keep stating that Obama plans to pull all the troops out of Iraq in 16 months. That is a false assertion that needed to be addressed. So, I took it straight from his website.

Yep, he will leave some troops there, and send some to Afghanistan, and yet tells us he will pay for his spending plans by "ending the war in Iraq"

HMMMM????

In other words he is going to do the same thing we are doing now ? WOW

In other words he is going to do the same thing we are doing now ? WOW

What I posted came directly from his website, too. Yet, I keep hearing from people and the MSM how Obama will get us out of Iraq and end this war, etc. That not quite what he says.

I'm sure the iraqi government will welcome the help. But combat troops patrolling streets and being blown up? no. in the middle of a civil war? no way.

and i'm sure blackwater will stay to protect the oil companies. but iraq oil wil pay for that, not us taxpayers. bush wants us to pay so his oil buddies can max profits. suckers.

yes, obama doesn't want the US to lose all influence to iran so we won't abandon iraq, but keep in mind obama's plan is the right one.

did you see bakers plan? sounds like what the dems have been saying all along. 5 yrs later, bush is making it his idea. suckers.

What I posted came directly from his website, too. Yet, I keep hearing from people and the MSM how Obama will get us out of Iraq and end this war, etc. That not quite what he says.

It just all depends on when you asked him, that's his position now. But it hasn't always been his position....

"So this isn't like we're going to be home tomorrow. So let's say that George Bush still has a 100,000 troops or more there when I take office in January 2009. You take on another sixteen months off of that, that's two and a half three years away before we have all our troops out."

The question Obama received on the war and troop withdrawal was just one of two questions he received on Iraq and foreign policy over the course of five campaign events across Iowa. The issue appears to have taken a backseat to immigration and the economy, topics that in the past four to six weeks have dominated town halls in Iowa.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/15/519023.aspx

Forum List

Back