Obama's ideal of racial relations

They used to.

There's many instances I could use in my past to drive me down the path of poverty or hate, but I look foreward. I'm not an expert on AA, but it seems like few blacks have the "pull yourself up by the boot-straps" mentality. I could be wrong.

Obama denounced what wright said in those sermons.

This is the kind of black white shit that we are going to see the rest of this campaign. Oh, no racism here either.

I don't think statistics really plays a role. As far as being more likely that a white baby will not be born in poverty. If my memory serves me correctly, the percentage of whites to blacks on welfare is significantly higher. Essentially, there are more whites on welfare.

While technically true that more whites are on welfare than blacks, the numbers are very close, and blacks only comprise 12% of the population, so by liklihood of being on welfare by race, blacks are much more likely.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

What I meant by lifestyle was not that it was a more likely that a white or black child be born into that life style, but that a white baby born into poverty is getting no lesser a deal than a black baby being born into poverty.

I almost agree with this.

I do feel for AA. I understand that they may have gotten a raw deal in the past, and I understand that they may still be angry over it. But anyone can complain about the past and never build themselves for the future. Older blacks that lived through the segregation times need to teach their kids that this is no longer the case. It's kind of like teaching kids about guns, you don't teach them that guns are bad and that they're used to kill people. Otherwise, the kids going to grow up thinking that all guns are used strictly to kill people. If parents teach their kids that whites enslaved their ancestors and that they should still blame the whites, young blacks are going to grow up with this mentality and still think racial segregation is going on, and that they're still treated unfairly under the law. Maybe that's why this is such a problem, we're in a "between period." There are still blacks alive that were segregated, so their kids learn from a primary resource about it, and how the whites cruelly treated the blacks...generating hate.

There's many instances I could use in my past to drive me down the path of poverty or hate, but I look foreward. I'm not an expert on AA, but it seems like few blacks have the "pull yourself up by the boot-straps" mentality. I could be wrong. :cool:

These things aren't exclusive. One can recognize the relatively recent past for what it was, be bitter about it, and still try their hardest to improve their lives. My guess is that this is the truth for most African Americans. However, if you start out from a really shitty position, it is hard - whether you are white or black (or any other race).

While technically true that more whites are on welfare than blacks, the numbers are very close, and blacks only comprise 12% of the population, so by liklihood of being on welfare by race, blacks are much more likely.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm

I almost agree with this.

These things aren't exclusive. One can recognize the relatively recent past for what it was, be bitter about it, and still try their hardest to improve their lives. My guess is that this is the truth for most African Americans. However, if you start out from a really shitty position, it is hard - whether you are white or black (or any other race).

Fair enough. I guess that's all I can ask of you since I'm a rightie and you're a leftie...LOL. (j/K) :)

I agree, starting out in a bad spot makes it hard to succeed. But I think this is when you can start talking about priorities. Many people that are born into poverty stay there because of priorities/goals (or lack thereof). My family lived in a 20 foot travel trailer for a few years, but my dad and mom had goals, so they scrounged and live in poverty for a while until they finally worked themselves out of it. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to generalize the entir black population, but these are just things that I've noticed.
I used to work across from the Human Resources Dept. And it would irritate me to see someone on welfare (black---mostly black--- or white) pull into the HRD in their new Benz or Lexus picking up their welfare check, while I was driving a 96 chevy turd to work (was a good truck, but old and out of date). It also irritates me when I have to take a drug test to earn my money, and those getting welfare don't have to take a drug test to get a welfare check). I have no problem helping someone out, but I do have a problem helping someone out who've got their priorities out of whack and who buy a Lexus instead of food for their kids, or nice clothes for a job (if they're employed).

I'm going to tell you what I've always wanted to tell Lars Larsen (talk show host) when he goes off about welfare recipients. He also resents the fact that he sees people in the checkout line with foodstamps purchasing unhealthy food, or driving nice cars.

You just never know. The person with a nice car may be driving the only thing they have left from a messy divorce, or may be borrowing the car from a mother or sister. It may be theirs, but paid for. It may be a car from work. And the person in line at the grocery store buying junk may be buying the junk for her teenagers on a special night when she has to be at work.

Sometimes, the only way welfare moms can treat their kids with anything special is with food. I know because I work with welfare moms and have been one in the past. I had months where I had $20 after paying the rent, and $438 in foodstamps. More than enough to splurge pretty frequently on any food we wanted to have, and I did. I always knew there were people looking over my shoulder and seething over the fact that I was buying steak, or shrimp, or chips, or something else that apparently only people with money are supposed to buy. But I had teenaged boys, and I did what I could to keep them at home while I was at work.

I worked, as many welfare moms do. Believe me, nobody is getting rich off of welfare. I haven't met one welfare recipient who is living large.

And as far as drug tests go, if you require drug tests for welfare ppl, you'll essentially be dooming about half of the welfare population, and their kids, to homelessness and starvation. Many of these people have issues, and for many of them, drugs and/or mental illness are part of those issues. So long as there's welfare, I think it should be inclusive rather than exclusive. When we decide to pare down, I still don't think testing should be required.

That's just my take on the situation.

I'm going to tell you what I've always wanted to tell Lars Larsen (talk show host) when he goes off about welfare recipients. He also resents the fact that he sees people in the checkout line with foodstamps purchasing unhealthy food, or driving nice cars.

You just never know. The person with a nice car may be driving the only thing they have left from a messy divorce, or may be borrowing the car from a mother or sister. It may be theirs, but paid for. It may be a car from work. And the person in line at the grocery store buying junk may be buying the junk for her teenagers on a special night when she has to be at work.

Sometimes, the only way welfare moms can treat their kids with anything special is with food. I know because I work with welfare moms and have been one in the past. I had months where I had $20 after paying the rent, and $438 in foodstamps. More than enough to splurge pretty frequently on any food we wanted to have, and I did. I always knew there were people looking over my shoulder and seething over the fact that I was buying steak, or shrimp, or chips, or something else that apparently only people with money are supposed to buy. But I had teenaged boys, and I did what I could to keep them at home while I was at work.

I worked, as many welfare moms do. Believe me, nobody is getting rich off of welfare. I haven't met one welfare recipient who is living large.

And as far as drug tests go, if you require drug tests for welfare ppl, you'll essentially be dooming about half of the welfare population, and their kids, to homelessness and starvation. Many of these people have issues, and for many of them, drugs and/or mental illness are part of those issues. So long as there's welfare, I think it should be inclusive rather than exclusive. When we decide to pare down, I still don't think testing should be required.

Just when I think you are a raving lunatic, you say something that makes me feel all soft and cuddly towards you.

The key thing, that you said, that makes me not group you with the people I'm talking about is the fact that you were "once" a welfare mom. You are no longer one and you have obviously made something of yourself. You had goals/priorities.

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, it's a different story with welfare. I'm willing to put money that the majority of the Lexus and Benz rollin up are not leftover from divorce. (can't prove it, but would bet on it) I also enjoy watching a woman/man pull up in a Lexus, get out in spiffy looking clothes, come into the store, open his/her wallet/purse and choose from about 5 different credit cards.

Like I said, priorities. If you have a 40,000-50,000 dollar car left over from divorce, and you're living in poverty. Sell the frickin car, go by a 5,000-10,000dollar car with cheaper insurance, and put the rest in the bank, or use it to get on your feet.

As far as the drug test thing goes. I don't mind dooming half the people on welfare for doing something illegal with my and other American's hard-earned money. The cops are looking for them anyway.

I can understand that not everyone on welfare is like this. But the sad fact, is that there is a large number of people that are. If you need help in a bad situation, that's great, take the money out of my check until you can get back on your feet. But if you're one of these people who sit around on welfare forever without doing a damn thing, that's where I have my problem.

Where I live, there's alot of women that keep poppin out babies like a bunch of rabbits, and they're stay at home mom's with no jobs. I understand that taking care of kids will require you to have to stay home, but the more frickin kids (out of wedlock) that you have, the deeper you dig. Many do this because it'll get them a bigger check.

Once again, sorry but I am not going to wallow in guilt cause I am white. You all do such a good job of it for the rest of us.

I lived in a 40 foot trailer with 3 bedrooms as a kid. 5 kids no money. I slept on the couch cause the older brothers shared the tiny bedroom and the sisters got the other, well and of course my uncaring parents took the third.

My mother worked all her life as waitress, go ahead tell me how rich one gets on tips and a dollar an hour in pay, while feeding clothing and taking care of 5 kids. Eventually my father , who worked mostly as a lineman for the railroad joined the National Guard then went regular army. Back in the day when a months pay was about 90 dollars a month. We moved all over the place, and believe me money comes out of your pocket on every move. We had to wait to move to what ever place my dad was stationed at till he got family housing cause we couldn't afford to move and pay rent.

Sorry if I don't cry like you over those poor welfare dependent blacks. My parents NEVER went on welfare. When we were broke, we were broke. That meant buying food and not paying bills and hoping the electric or water didn't get turned off before you made enough to pay them as well.

I wore cloths my mother made because it was cheaper than buying them. I wore hand me downs as well. Again pardon me if I don't cry for all those poor black folks.

Yup, those poor downtrodden blacks are the only ones discriminated against, the only poor people in this country, the only ones that just can't make it cause someone has their foot on the back of their neck keeping them down.

Spare me the sob story.

You are a fucking idiot. You KNOW how much shit they go through, and yet you still don't care?

By the way, I don't have any guilt. I have compassion. There is a difference.

So....what you're saying, is that young blacks, who have never experienced these things, can hate young whites who have never done these things to them, for that purpose???

I never specified any purpose. I gave reasons and causes, no purposes. Its terrible, unfortunate, sad, etc, etc. But it is understandable. And no they aren't allowed to beat up whites, to give them shit, or whatever. But if they want to talk smack about what they feel are continued injustices, I will not begrudge them that.

Yeah, that's a good way to raise our youth. "If you ever have any problems in life, it's the white folks doin it cause they enslaved your ancestors 150 years ago.

Because Slavery is the only time Blacks got fucked over. Oh wait a shitload of them got killed, bitten, beaten fighting for the right to sit in the front of the bus. Wasn't exactly 150 years ago, now was it?

I see, this is how it works. I need to find someone from British descent to pay me for the time they enslaved my Irish and Scotish ancestors. And maybe find some people of latin descent, since it was the Romans whos enslaved some of my ancestors to.

/pat you. Are you discriminated against today? No? Then shut the hell up.

I have no compassion for any racist, black, white or maroon.

The KKK started out after the civil war when the North was forcing black rule and carpetbagging crooks on a starving and penniless south. They had perfectly noble (they thought) reasons for banding together and exacting what they saw as "justice". They were wrong then, and blacks who think they're "entitled" to be racist now are wrong as well. Nor are they any better.

I never specified any purpose. I gave reasons and causes, no purposes. Its terrible, unfortunate, sad, etc, etc. But it is understandable. And no they aren't allowed to beat up whites, to give them shit, or whatever. But if they want to talk smack about what they feel are continued injustices, I will not begrudge them that.

Because Slavery is the only time Blacks got fucked over. Oh wait a shitload of them got killed, bitten, beaten fighting for the right to sit in the front of the bus. Wasn't exactly 150 years ago, now was it?

I was discriminated against every time I was required to have a higher GPA than the American Indians applying to enter college.

hit a nerve?....Boo hoo hoo....don't start acting like a cry baby.

Are you discriminated against today??? No, Then shut the hell up. And if you are, it's not in mass by all whites/blacks/or hispanics

Blacks, whites, hispanics, etc...are being/not being discriminated against equally all the way around. This is no longer a society of whites walking around try to put the black man down.

If you want to live in the shadow of slavery and segration, be my guest, you can be the biggest racist of all. It seems like civil rights activists got what they wanted which is great, but it now seems like being equal isn't enough for them.

Blacks are no longer discriminated anymore than whites are discriminated against blacks. Everyone's frickin equal under the law. You find a court hearing where a white bus driver made a black man sit in the back of the bus within the last 40 years (and didn't get in trouble for it) then you can gripe about racial discrimination going on in mass.

Jews have been enslaved. Arabs have been enslaved. Indians have been enslaved.

We all have racial grievances.

If you want to see where racism will get you, look at Africa. Or Bosnia.

I have no compassion for any racist, black, white or maroon.

The KKK started out after the civil war when the North was forcing black rule and carpetbagging crooks on a starving and penniless south. They had perfectly noble (they thought) reasons for banding together and exacting what they saw as "justice". They were wrong then, and blacks who think they're "entitled" to be racist now are wrong as well. Nor are they any better.

What do you mean by black rule?

What do you mean by black rule?

I mean northern politicians thought it would be a good idea to set black people in positions of power over a defeated southern citizenry.

Black people refer to themselves as colored, moron. This is typical. And by "colored" a person refers to any person of color, not just black.

Your spastic knee-jerk reaction and white boy terror that I might have used a non-P.C. word to define...(gasp)....THEM is evidence of your own trembling acknowledgement that whites and blacks don't have to meet the same standards. Wright's church isn't racist...but woe to the white girl who calls a black person "colored".

I repeat. What a load.

I mean northern politicians thought it would be a good idea to set black people in positions of power over a defeated southern citizenry.

Black people refer to themselves as colored, moron. This is typical. And by "colored" a person refers to any person of color, not just black.

This is racism at work right here.

No, seriously. What are you talking about? Give me some examples.

This is racism at work right here.

That is exactly what I thought when I read your post.

Here is the definition of "colored"
1. having color.
2. Often Offensive. belonging wholly or in part to a race other than the white, esp. to the black race.
3. Often Offensive. pertaining to the black race

In case you were too stupid to realize it, this is not considered an acceptable term.

I guess this puts you in the same class as Wright. By your reasoning, you have just demonstrated that you yourself are racist. Thankfully for you, I understand context. I don't know that your racist, no matter obvious it may look to the casual observer.

You are making those assumptions based upon my color and my religion. Which is the definition of racism and bigotry, asshole.

The word "colored" is not an insult. It's not taken as one. It's regular and acceptable English. Just as it's not an insult to call Native Americans "Indians".

I beg you to show evidence which will back up the idiotic statement that I find colored ppl offensive. I find racists offensive. I don't care if they're white, black or zebra striped. I said that already.

Anyway. Typical racist rubbish, based upon nothing but the fact that I don't like racists and won't tolerate them, regardless of their color. It figures that you would then take that and start screeching, "she's a racist! She DARED to call a black person a racist and that makes her racist!"

Idiot. You epitomize racism and you don't even know it. Read up on how the KKK, Nazi movement and eugenics were spawned, and come back here and tell me you don't feel like an idiot.

Forum List

Back