Obama's ideal of racial relations

Discussion in 'Congress' started by jreeves, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Well if Wright says that rich white people control America then you can surmise that rich white people also control the government. If they control government then by Wright's account are responsible for injecting blacks with HIV correct?

So you agree that his statements were inflammatory right? Then you would also agree by that admittal that he incited anger, which is my point.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inflammatory
    in·flam·ma·to·ry Audio Help /ɪnˈflæməˌtɔri, -ˌtoʊri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-flam-uh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion, etc.: inflammatory speeches.
    2. Pathology. of or caused by inflammation.

Stereotypes are you kidding me his sermons and the BLT are laced full of them. "Any group who has institutional power is violent", that's not stereotypical huh? Blacks live in a white racist society?? :rolleyes:

Oh...this is funny so because West says it's not racism means that we can't read the statements and think for ourselves....:cuckoo:

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,928
    Far be it from me to defend Wright, but is the objection that Wright is inflammatory? Because people say inflammatory garbage all the time. When Coultergeist says that liberals are traitors... that's inflammatory. When she says a democratic presidential candidate should die in a terrorist attack, THAT is inflammatory.

My problem here isn't the criticism of Wright... because saying the government intentionally infected black people with AIDS is pretty off the hook. But then again, so were the government's actions in the Tuskagee experiments. My problem here is attributing the statements to Obama. Because, ultimately, when it comes down to it.... they were Wright's statements, Obama expressed his disagreement with them but noted that this was only a part of Rev. Wright's character.

I'd also point out that for a politician, joining an 8,000 member church in one's district is pretty important -- even if you don't agree with everything the reverend says.

I knew once the comments were aired though that the right would be like everready bunnies and keep on going and going and going......

3. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43

So I guess you will be signing up for David Dukes church soon and calling it all good right?

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,928
    Everyone here knows I don't do the church thing.

Besides, David Duke is allergic to jews.

But thanks so much for the in depth and insightful response.

5. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Obama disavowed the statements, Jillian, not the church. The church is based on Black Power and MLK Jrs. teachings, which is very contradictory. MLK denounced the Black Power movement as being divisive and angry. So if you subscribe to and promote a theology that is based in racism then you yourself are responsible for racism.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,413
    Well then you have the whole " I never heard him talk that way" part of Obama's defense.

7. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    For one, its extremely ignorant to think he never heard him make racist statements. Considering, he had told Wright that sometimes (paraphrasing here) he gets harsh sometimes while preaching. Also he had told him that at some point he may have to distance himself from him.

Even if though, he didn't hear one racist statement, he has admitted to knowing the church is based on Black Liberation Theology. Which is founded on Black Power and MLK Jr's. teachings. The Black Power movement was known to be racially divisive and angry.