Obama's Healthcare Will Cost You

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
I am one of those Republicans who can't stand John McCain. While I've taken a serious look at Obama, there is no way I can support him, and here is the reason. One of Obama's big deals is healthcare. He says his plan will cost $65 billion. Let's see, he's going to spend $65 billion to fix a system that currently costs us between $1.7 to $2.2 trillion? That isn't even a bandaid, it's a piece of tape on a wound that requires amputation.

Obama's plan is completely flawed. While Obama's plan does not require Americans to purchase health insurance, he says his plan will make it more affordable. Let's look at how he will supposedly do this. First, he will require insurance companies to accept anyone and everyone, regardless of pre-existing conditions. This in itself, is something that is needed. Many Americans cannot get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. However, forcing insurance companies to accept those with pre-existing conditions is what creates the biggest flaw in Obama's plan. With Obama's plan, their is no requirement for anyone to purchase health insurance, but the insurance companies cannnot deny anyone coverage. So guess what will happen? Even more Americans will choose to drop their current coverage. If the time comes that they do get sick, then they'll purchase health insurance. Under this system, insurance companies will be paying out much more and collecting much less. In other words, someone will have to pay for the difference. Guess who that will be? Anyone who has health insurance will see their rates skyrocket. The insurance companies will have no choice but to raise rates. If the government caps them, they'll go bankrupt or just get out of the business of offering health insurance.

Hillary had one thing right; if you want everyone to have insurance and if you are going to force insurance companies to accept anyone and everyone, even those with pre-existing conditions, then everyone must be forced to pay into the system. That concept would actually work, although it would require subsidizing low income earners, but at least it would help drop the overall cost of insurance.

As an example, a healthy self-employed individual, age 45, can currently get a private policy for his/her family of four for around $600 per month. Companies that offer group plans pay $1000 per month or more for the same policy. That is due to the fact that they cannot deny individuals based on pre-existing conditions within those group policies. If everyone payed into the system, then the average would drop somewhat.

Last of all, Obama's plan does not adequately address the costs of prescription drugs. This is the one area where costs could be reduced drastically. The US is the only country that does not cap how much the drug companies can charge people for their drugs. While I support capitalism and generally am against government supports that hinder economic growth, when it comes to prescription drugs, Americans are playing on an unfair playing field. The reason we pay so much for our prescription drugs is that we are subsidizing the rest of the world. In many cases, Canadians, as an example, will pay 25% to 75% less than Americans for their prescription drugs. The answer is very simple. We tell the drug companies that we will cap what they can charge to the highest amount charged by any country other than the US who caps what can be charged.

The idea behind this is to force the drug companies to put pressure on those countries with caps to raise those caps. If other countries pay more, which they should, then the drug companies can still make a reasonable profit without raping the American public. This would also involve a government policy that would put pressure on those countries with caps to raise those caps and absorb a more reasonable percentage of the overall cost of those drugs.

While McCain's plan is not any answer at all, Obama's, as it stands now, will make the situation worse, not better. Looking at many of Obama's other proposals, you will find many similar flaws. The things he wants to change will reduce economic activity and just make government bigger without doing any American any good at all.

Obama wants to spend massive amounts of our money that he doesn't even have. Honestly, if I wanted to spend money I didn't have, I'd at least want to see it spent on things that would give us something in return. For instance, a massive spending bill that went entirely to the improvement of our infrastructure would create hundreds of thousands of new jobs, which would actually help the economy, and give us something in return for the investment. Obama's plans just throw money at things that won't help grow the economy or give us anything in return other than greater debt.

As much as I don't like McCain, the choice is obvious. Obama will be a disaster if he is given the opportunity to implement his plans.

Obama health care plan will not work, agreed.

McCains health care plan is already not working.

We're basically hosed.

Ask people who have socialized medicare if they would switch (even for a second) with a privatized system. Those that like private health care tend to be able to afford lots of it. Likely they would feel the same about policing and fire fighting.

...those that are not very wealthy, well they tend to enjoy access to things like public education, and adding health care to that list would suit them fine.
Plus, it costs less per person, and in the long run you have a healthier population.

Most of us have decent coverage but it is nothing to brag about. And it cost way too much for what you get.

So I think we can not only improve our system, we can cover EVERYONE for what we are paying now.

If it won't cost you anymore than you pay right now, why complain?

McCain's plans are no more realistic than Obama's.

He will, however, continue the trickle down theory. It hasn't worked. It won't work.

I will stick with Obama and see what they can come up with by the way of compromise. 8 years of bush will be continued under McCain no matter what he says about his maverickness.

We need some form of universal healthcare. If Obama starts something rolling, then it can be modified to fit the need. McCain won't change anything in the current status quo.

Ask people who have socialized medicare if they would switch (even for a second) with a privatized system. Those that like private health care tend to be able to afford lots of it. Likely they would feel the same about policing and fire fighting.

...those that are not very wealthy, well they tend to enjoy access to things like public education, and adding health care to that list would suit them fine.
Plus, it costs less per person, and in the long run you have a healthier population.

Exactly. If I still paid only $5 copays and my out of pocket was nothign then I would want to keep my incredible insurance the way it is. But what I get working for a big mega corporation is crap, compared to what my dad got at Ford when I was growing up.

And if you happen to be one of those people who gets screwed with a pre existing condition? Forgetabout it.

McCain's plans are no more realistic than Obama's.

He will, however, continue the trickle down theory. It hasn't worked. It won't work.

I will stick with Obama and see what they can come up with by the way of compromise. 8 years of bush will be continued under McCain no matter what he says about his maverickness.

We need some form of universal healthcare. If Obama starts something rolling, then it can be modified to fit the need. McCain won't change anything in the current status quo.

The truth is, I too believe we need some type of universal healthcare. The most basic reason for this is not about fairness; it's about cutting the cost of healthcare. There are ways to provide coverage to everyone, while also allowing those who can afford it additional coverage. This can be done while reducing costs. My problem with Obama's plan is that it will not reduce costs, but it will increase them.

If Obama is this far off on one such a big issue as healthcare, what makes you believe any of his other policies will turn things around? While I don't see McCain helping much, I do see Obama's CHANGE creating even bigger problems.

There are two huge obstacles that hinder both health plans. One, at least, McCain is trying to address. First, the insurance companies have to start working in the mode of providing individual plans. 50 years ago the health market and labor came up with the group insurance plans for companies who provided them as a benefit to attract good employees. That was in the day when a visit to the doctor didn't require a months income. The companies still get the tax benefits for providing health coverage but costs have risen to a point where the benefit is nearly meaningless. Removing the benefit (taxing health benefits, as the Democrats are spinning it) would force the market into individual plans where individuals could be provided those tax incentives. But you have to require everyone to carry insurance for this to really work and that is where the plan stops working.
The second, is tort reform. Plaintiff attorneys have been making big bucks for years now off doctors, hospitals, etc. driving risk up to a point where doctors have been leaving their practices and pushing up costs. Plaintiff attorneys (For the people) are primarily Democrat. That is the fence that divides the two parties. I never saw it that way till I started doing forensic work and it's blatant. So, no Democratic president is ever going to fix tort reform unless he's a real maverick, which Obama is most definitely not. Just ask Hillary. He's a straight party man. If you really want to see more of the same, just vote for Obama. He hasn't swam upstream once, where McCain will and has on more than one occasion.

i'm hoping Obama's claim that everyone will be able to use the same plan as congress holds up.

currently i pay $600 a month to insure my wife, me & 2 kids...and it's terrible insurance - 5k deductable.

my boy has a 'pre-existing' condition that hurts when trying for other coverage.

i can get coverage at work but it would cost $750, but my work has this ridiculous policy of giving all employees their premium payment if they don't take the insurance from work which means the coverage i get through my wife only $300. resulting in 1,000 month difference between good insurance and bad.

obama may not deliver on cheaper care but his plan still sounds better than mccain's.

i'm hoping Obama's claim that everyone will be able to use the same plan as congress holds up.

currently i pay $600 a month to insure my wife, me & 2 kids...and it's terrible insurance - 5k deductable.

my boy has a 'pre-existing' condition that hurts when trying for other coverage.

i can get coverage at work but it would cost $750, but my work has this ridiculous policy of giving all employees their premium payment if they don't take the insurance from work which means the coverage i get through my wife only $300. resulting in 1,000 month difference between good insurance and bad.

obama may not deliver on cheaper care but his plan still sounds better than mccain's.

$600 per month for a family of four is not a bad price. Unfortunately, your deductible is higher than normal for a policy of that price. I pay $450 per month for myself and my two boys, but my deductible is only $1000 with a $2000 per year maximum payout. I too have a pre-existing condition. I just moved from Colorado to Ohio. Luckily, I am with Anthem and they transferred my policy. They are the only insurance company I know of that will transfer a policy from one state to another. If I had been with anyone else, I would not have been able to move.

If the tax benefit is taken from companies and given to the individuals and everyone is required to carry insurance the insurance companies will focus on individual policies that could be taken with you anywhere and prices could drop dramatically even without tort reform because lawyers don't do so well going after individuals. It's harder to make them look like impersonal, evil, demons, so the effect would be a form of reform without actually having to tackle tort reform. Suits would continue but the settlements would be so low that lawyers wouldn't pursue them. The issue is not be discussed because the moment those two words came out of Bush's mouth, the Democrats went bonkers. McCain is only trying to skirt the issue so things don't get any uglier than they are.

Forum List

Back