Obama's 'Going to Violate the Constitution, Unilaterally Lift the Debt Ceiling'

Isn't there a Schoolhouse Rock explaining what the branches of government do? If so, find it and review it so as to understand where spending comes from.

Isn't there a rock you crawled out from under? If so, crawl back under.

He's right.

And..there is no debt ceiling in the Constitution.

It's a wholly stupid rule.

The authority for Congress to vote on the debt limit is clear. Look at Article I, Section 8, Clause 2, which authorizes congress "to borrow money on the credit of the United States." Congress controls purse strings; this is a purse.

Isn't there a rock you crawled out from under? If so, crawl back under.

He's right.

The authority for Congress to vote on the debt limit is clear. Look at Article I, Section 8, Clause 2, which authorizes congress "to borrow money on the credit of the United States." Congress controls purse strings; this is a purse.

That's fine.

But there is no debt ceiling in the Constitution.

And we have three branches of Government to keep it from doing stupid things.

Like invading countries for no reason whatsoever and putting it on the nation's tab.

Unfortunately..even with three branches of government..we still do stupid things.

Under Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution, Congress has the sole power to borrow money on the credit of the United States. From the founding of the United States until 1917 Congress directly authorized each individual debt issuance separately. In order to provide more flexibility to finance the United States' involvement in World War I, Congress modified the method by which it authorizes debt in the Second Liberty Bond Act of 1917. Under this act Congress established an aggregate limit, or "ceiling," on the total amount of bonds that could be issued.The current debt ceiling, in which an aggregate limit is applied to nearly all federal debt, was substantially established by Public Debt Acts passed in 1939 and 1941. The Treasury is authorized to issue debt needed to fund government operations (as authorized by each federal budget) up to a stated debt ceiling, with some small exceptions.

The process of setting the debt ceiling is separate and distinct from the Federal budget process, and raising the debt ceiling does not have any direct impact on the budget deficit. The U.S. President proposes a federal budget every year. This budget details projected tax collections and outlays and, if there is a budget deficit, the amount of borrowing the President is proposing in that fiscal year. Congress creates specific appropriation bills which authorize spending, which are signed into law by the President

Last edited:
He's right.

That's fine.

But there is no debt ceiling in the Constitution. See Below

And we have three branches of Government to keep it from doing stupid things. OK

Like invading countries for no reason whatsoever and putting it on the nation's tab. Straw man argument.

Unfortunately..even with three branches of government..we still do stupid things. True

And we have three branches of Government to keep it from doing stupid things. OK

Like invading countries for no reason whatsoever and putting it on the nation's tab. Straw man argument.

Unfortunately..even with three branches of government..we still do stupid things. True

That's fine.

My point still stands. There is no debt ceiling. If congress wanted to get rid of the rule, it could.

And no..the Iraq war is no strawman. A large part of the "debt" you folks are ranting about was accrued from that stupidity.

Obama moved it from the "Fairy Land Ledger" to the "Reality Based Ledger".

You can't spend money on a credit card then refuse to pay for the stuff you bought.

McConnal thinks its perfectly within the constitution to do it

"McConnell now opposes the change he once advanced because it was intended as a one-time solution to the deadlock over the debt last year. Nevertheless, he pushed for a vote on it because he wanted to show that even some Democrats oppose giving the president that much authority, and he knew there was no way Democrats could garner the 60 votes typically needed for major legislation to pass the Senate."

Source: Your article. :clap2::razz::tongue::badgrin::D

then why did he remove it?

FDR had to do the same stuff when he faced the collapse of the American way of life and a do nothing congress...he's got balls, you have to respect that

That's fine.

My point still stands. There is no debt ceiling. If congress wanted to get rid of the rule, it could.

And no..the Iraq war is no strawman. A large part of the "debt" you folks are ranting about was accrued from that stupidity.

You can't spend money on a credit card then refuse to pay for the stuff you bought.

The current debt ceiling, in which an aggregate limit is applied to nearly all federal debt, was substantially established by Public Debt Acts passed in 1939 and 1941. The Treasury is authorized to issue debt needed to fund government operations (as authorized by each federal budget) up to a stated debt ceiling, with some small exceptions.

Since 1979, the House of Representatives passed a rule to automatically raise the debt ceiling when passing a budget, without the need for a separate vote on the debt ceiling, except when the House votes to waive or repeal this rule. The exception to the rule was invoked in 1995, which resulted in two government shutdowns

Is there a budget?

Last edited:
Last night, radio host Mark Levin said that President Obama plans to unilaterally and unconstitutionally lift the debt ceiling, thereby circumventing Congress and avoiding negotiations with them. Levin also stated that President Obama plans to play the “catch me if you can, take me to the court” game by taking this unilateral action, because he will be able to get away with it by the time it reaches the Supreme Court.

Well then, we have established the Mark Levin is either a fool or a liar. I'm glad you have brought this to our attention. I'll keep it in mind the next time the man says anything.

The current debt ceiling, in which an aggregate limit is applied to nearly all federal debt, was substantially established by Public Debt Acts passed in 1939 and 1941. The Treasury is authorized to issue debt needed to fund government operations (as authorized by each federal budget) up to a stated debt ceiling, with some small exceptions.

Since 1979, the House of Representatives passed a rule to automatically raise the debt ceiling when passing a budget, without the need for a separate vote on the debt ceiling, except when the House votes to waive or repeal this rule. The exception to the rule was invoked in 1995, which resulted in two government shutdowns

Is there a budget?

Congress does lots of stupid things.

Like getting rid of Paygo.

Doesn't change what I posted.

And speaking of "strawmen", the "debt ceiling" is really no more then that.

And using it as a bargaining chip is amazingly reckless.

Last night, radio host Mark Levin said that President Obama plans to unilaterally and unconstitutionally lift the debt ceiling, thereby circumventing Congress and avoiding negotiations with them. Levin also stated that President Obama plans to play the “catch me if you can, take me to the court” game by taking this unilateral action, because he will be able to get away with it by the time it reaches the Supreme Court.

Well then, we have established the Mark Levin is either a fool or a liar. I'm glad you have brought this to our attention. I'll keep it in mind the next time the man says anything.

You and Sallow may have but I don't see anyone else agreeing with you. But I'm sure now that I said that...we will.

Is there a budget?

Congress does lots of stupid things.

Like getting rid of Paygo.

Doesn't change what I posted.

And speaking of "strawmen", the "debt ceiling" is really no more then that.

And using it as a bargaining chip is amazingly reckless.

Valid points for other threads.

"Going to" violate the Constitution??? Obama already has with summary executions of American citizens without judicial review.

Terrorists are terrorists.

You take up arms against our country, watch the skies, fucker, because hell hath no furry like a strong U.S. President.

Look out, Texas, you're next.

"Going to" violate the Constitution??? Obama already has with summary executions of American citizens without judicial review.

Terrorists are terrorists.

You take up arms against our country, watch the skies, fucker, because hell hath no furry like a strong U.S. President.

Look out, Texas, you're next.
No "arms" and still unconstitutional, moron.

We have three branches and zero kings.

Forum List

Back