Obama's going to try Guantanamo detainees in US criminal courts

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
"WASHINGTON – President-elect Obama's advisers are quietly crafting a proposal to ship dozens, if not hundreds, of imprisoned terrorism suspects to the United States to face criminal trials, a plan that would make good on his promise to close the Guantanamo Bay prison but could require creation of a controversial new system of justice."

Kind of interesting. I personally don't think the US criminal courts are the place for these guys.

Obama planning US trials for Guantanamo prisoners - Yahoo! News

where do you think they should be tried Allie? if they were plotting against the U.S. shouldn't they be tried in the U.S.?

"WASHINGTON – President-elect Obama's advisers are quietly crafting a proposal to ship dozens, if not hundreds, of imprisoned terrorism suspects to the United States to face criminal trials, a plan that would make good on his promise to close the Guantanamo Bay prison but could require creation of a controversial new system of justice."

Kind of interesting. I personally don't think the US criminal courts are the place for these guys.

Obama planning US trials for Guantanamo prisoners - Yahoo! News

Hmmm..."could require creation of a controversial new sytem of justice." Maybe it will interface with the new civilian security organization.

• Banned
where do you think they should be tried Allie? if they were plotting against the U.S. shouldn't they be tried in the U.S.?

Not if they aren't US citizens, or at the very least, apprehended on US soil.

I think it's problematic, will create a HUGE headache for the already overburdened US judicial system, and will cause more problems than it will solve. There are prisoners of war. Not US citizens who broke the law of the land.

I think it's problematic, will create a HUGE headache for the already overburdened US judicial system, and will cause more problems than it will solve. There are prisoners of war. Not US citizens who broke the law of the land.

so should they just be let go instead? many have been in Gitmo for YEARS without counsel, without being charged and without a trial...but I agree, it's problematic and has been for years.

• Banned
Yeah, that's the really awful thing about being a POW. You get to languish until the end of the war.

My uncle did 4 years in a Japanese POW camp.
People would rather relatives died than be captured during the Civil War, because of the conditions of those camps...and no possibility of release until the end.

But the one place they do NOT belong is in civilian court. It's ludicrous.

if they are just prisoners of war and they haven't committed any crime other than being a warrior for 'the other side', they get to just go home, when the war is declared over, right?

what happened to trying these true criminals by military tribunals, was that deemed unjust or something?

i guess i gotta read the article............. :)

so should they just be let go instead? many have been in Gitmo for YEARS without counsel, without being charged and without a trial...but I agree, it's problematic and has been for years.

Well, when it was suggested that they be released into the country where they were captured there was hue and cry that they would be tortured or killed.

I say we release them in California.

Exactly. If it isn't a crime in THEIR country, then what place do they have in OUR courts...unless apprehended on US soil?

This is going to be a mess. I love it when dems decide to "fix" things.

Yeah, that's the really awful thing about being a POW. You get to languish until the end of the war.

My uncle did 4 years in a Japanese POW camp.
People would rather relatives died than be captured during the Civil War, because of the conditions of those camps...and no possibility of release until the end.

But the one place they do NOT belong is in civilian court. It's ludicrous.

Were these people AT WAR and captured? no they weren't. You comparing them to soliders captured during combat is utterly ridiculous IMO.

Some of these people were turned in for reward that was offered by the U.S. for information on terrorist activity....

Again I ask, Allie, where should they be tried? They are being held for supposed crimes against the U.S.

Perhaps a federal court should handle it or an international court but then charges need to be filed and attorney's appointed for these defendants and evidence shared....

This is going to be a mess. I love it when dems decide to "fix" things.

and I love it when Repubs act like they can detain people forever without trial and recourse. If as you say they are POWs then why are they still being held?

Last edited:
They should be detained until the end of the war, or tried by tribunal. Our criminal courts aren't structured to deal with POWs, or with "crimes against the US".

They should be detained until the end of the war, or tried by tribunal. Our criminal courts aren't structured to deal with POWs, or with "crimes against the US".

so there is no federal court that tries people for crimes against this country? really?

and didn't Bush declare an end of the conflict like three years ago? and which war should be over before these peole can go home?

Obama is trying to solve the problem...it's more than this current administration was willing to do.

Try them or let them go!

so there is no federal court that tries people for crimes against this country? really?

and didn't Bush declare an end of the conflict like three years ago? and which war should be over before these peole can go home?

Obama is trying to solve the problem...it's more than this current administration was willing to do.

Try them or let them go!

Um... no.. there was no end declared on the War against Terrorism... don't try and misconstrue the 'mission accomplished' statement like so many libs do

These people do not need access to our US courts where they can demand access to more information about our DHS, etc... These scum also do not get the honor of a military court like opposing soldiers get...

Obama is not trying to solve anything... he is trying to appease and snuggle up with the far left who do not like the war on terror anyway

I applaud Obama's efforts to close Guantanamo .. if that is what this is .. however, in this political climate it doesn't take a lot of courage to close Guantanamo .. makes for a good show .. but is Obama going to close the School of the America's, our own terrorist training camp?

Close that and I'll be impressed.

Step up to the truth that the war on terrorism is a hoax and I'll really be impressed.

Hmmm..."could require creation of a controversial new sytem of justice." Maybe it will interface with the new civilian security organization.

they should strike the word controversial and replace it with "comprehensive" :lol:

yes, we should let them go. The left is in charge now and the left ascertains they are all innocent shepards held against their will, there is no war on terror, they should let them go and close guantanamo.

a little word called "discovery" all methods of US intelligence gathering will now be subject to "discovery" cool move obamalama.

Exactly.

Oh crud, I mistakenly pos-repped Black before I read the last line of his last post.

I hate it when that happens.

yes, we should let them go. The left is in charge now and the left ascertains they are all innocent shepards held against their will, there is no war on terror, they should let them go and close guantanamo.

Agreed--just release every last one of them. Bush should just pardon them all and they can go back to whever they came from. Can you imagine the effort it will take to make everyone beleive that they recieved "fair" treatment. ? Screw that---I don't wanna hear all the rationalizations, spend any money or put any of out intelligence people at risk. Just let em all go, George.

Forum List

Back