Obama’s gay marriage balancing act gets awkward

I'm gay and not getting the "wrong impression". I'm quite clear on the President's policies. He wants to end DOMA. Totally good enough for me. The rest can "evolve" as it will.

I'm also pretty confident that the President will give a full throated endorsement of marriage equality in his 2nd term.

What a disgusting thing to endorse. That whore Obama will say anything for a vote.

I wonder if 4 of the 5 living V-POTUS's will form a lobbying group to legalize gay marriage?

Last edited:
I'm gay and not getting the "wrong impression". I'm quite clear on the President's policies. He wants to end DOMA. Totally good enough for me. The rest can "evolve" as it will.

I'm also pretty confident that the President will give a full throated endorsement of marriage equality in his 2nd term.

Why doesn't he give that full-throated endorsement right now?

Why is he waiting?

He doesn't want to turn off his religious minority base, and apparently he can count on people like Seawytch to give him extra points for being cunning like that. It's a win-win for him to wait.

Oh yea, since he fulfilled his promises to them last time. I guess he can fool his base all of the time.

He's doing okay.

Promise Kept 180 (35%)
Compromise 58 (11%)
Promise Broken 69 (14%)
Stalled 63 (12%)
In the Works 136 (27%)
Not yet rated 2 (0%)

The Obameter

Not at all. I think he's lying. But all politicians do.

All politicians think he is lying or all politicians lie? both? :D

Immie
LOL! Both, of course.

Dems tend to pander to the middle and Reps tend to pander to the far right. That is what they are both doing.

They tend to pander to the voters they think don't like the other side the most. But both sides pander.

Why doesn't he give that full-throated endorsement right now?

Because it is not politically expedient to do so at the present time.

Is it really all that surprising that he has remained tight lipped on the subject recently? He is running for re-election after all. What do you expect?

I expect courage in a President.

I expect leadership in a President.

We live in the age of gutless triangulators who follow the polls. No wonder our country is a mess.

While I agree with you in those two regards, I also expect intelligence and one must admit that coming out "for gay marriage" could very well cost him a lot of "independent" votes. Those votes could cost him the election.

While I, of course, would prefer he come out in support of civil unions for all, I can understand that he wants to win in November and if he comes out and tells us what he really believes about this, that and everything else; his chances of winning are slim to none.

Immie

So, you agree that lying is OK, as long as the end justifies the means? Obama is a lying sack of shit who would sell his Granny as a street whore if he thought it would get ONE vote.

Why is he waiting?

He doesn't want to turn off his religious minority base, and apparently he can count on people like Seawytch to give him extra points for being cunning like that. It's a win-win for him to wait.

Oh yea, since he fulfilled his promises to them last time. I guess he can fool his base all of the time.

Considering most of his base appears to be morons whose first and only question is: "How much for me?". That, and they'll vote for him 'cause he's their first "black" president...

I expect courage in a President.

I expect leadership in a President.

We live in the age of gutless triangulators who follow the polls. No wonder our country is a mess.

While I agree with you in those two regards, I also expect intelligence and one must admit that coming out "for gay marriage" could very well cost him a lot of "independent" votes. Those votes could cost him the election.

While I, of course, would prefer he come out in support of civil unions for all, I can understand that he wants to win in November and if he comes out and tells us what he really believes about this, that and everything else; his chances of winning are slim to none.

Immie

So, you agree that lying is OK, as long as the end justifies the means? Obama is a lying sack of shit who would sell his Granny as a street whore if he thought it would get ONE vote.

That is not what I said. I did not say it was "OK". I said they do it.

I expect them to be intelligent. I realize that if they want to win an election they must please as many people as they can and piss off as few people as possible.

Courage and leadership have nothing to do with cutting your own throat.

By the way, in regards to Obama being a lying sack of shit who would sell his granny for one vote, I agree, but then so is Romney.

Do you think lying is okay as long as the ends justify the means? I mean if you are voting for Romney you seem to think so.

Immie

What a disgusting thing to endorse. That whore Obama will say anything for a vote.

I wonder if 4 of the 5 living V-POTUS's will form a lobbying group to legalize gay marriage?

Dick Cheney Is Lobbying For Gay Marriage In Maryland - Business Insider

Jaywon Choe
Feb. 17, 2012

Dick Cheney is getting back involved in politics — but this time, he's fighting for the other side.

The Baltimore Sun reports that the former vice president has been lobbying for same-sex marriage in Maryland this week. According to the paper, Cheney offered to meet with at least one lawmaker there — Republican Wade Kach — to discuss his vote on the gay marriage issue.​

The Maryland legislature is in the middle of an intense debate over whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. If it does, the state would join New Jersey and Washington as the third state whose legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage legislation in as many weeks.​

Voting on the bill was pushed back earlier today amid concern by Democrats that the measure would not pass.
Despite his reputation as a hardcore Republican, Cheney is a supporter of gay marriage, which he believes should be legalized on a state-by-state basis. Cheney's second daughter Mary, is openly gay.​

Cheney is not the only national politician to get involved in Maryland politics of late. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman, and Cardinal-elect Edwin F. O'Brien have all weighed in on the state's same-sex marriage vote.​

Jaywon Choe
Feb. 17, 2012

Dick Cheney is getting back involved in politics — but this time, he's fighting for the other side.

The Baltimore Sun reports that the former vice president has been lobbying for same-sex marriage in Maryland this week. According to the paper, Cheney offered to meet with at least one lawmaker there — Republican Wade Kach — to discuss his vote on the gay marriage issue.​

The Maryland legislature is in the middle of an intense debate over whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. If it does, the state would join New Jersey and Washington as the third state whose legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage legislation in as many weeks.​

Voting on the bill was pushed back earlier today amid concern by Democrats that the measure would not pass.
Despite his reputation as a hardcore Republican, Cheney is a supporter of gay marriage, which he believes should be legalized on a state-by-state basis. Cheney's second daughter Mary, is openly gay.​

Cheney is not the only national politician to get involved in Maryland politics of late. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman, and Cardinal-elect Edwin F. O'Brien have all weighed in on the state's same-sex marriage vote.​

Dick Cheney is just a typical, yet quite visible example of those changing their minds about gay marriage once it becomes personal. The best reason of all for all in the closet to come out to their family, friends, et al.

Immie

I expect them to be intelligent. I realize that if they want to win an election they must please as many people as they can and piss off as few people as possible.

By the way, in regards to Obama being a lying sack of shit who would sell his granny for one vote, I agree, but then so is Romney.

Do you think lying is okay as long as the ends justify the means? I mean if you are voting for Romney you seem to think so.

Immie

Haven't mentioned who I might vote for...the choices are dire, at best. As much as I despise having nothing more promising than casting a vote the lesser of evils, it certainly seems to be the only choice left.
No, I do not think lying is in any way, shape, or form justifiable under these circumstances. I understand what you're saying about pols doing and saying whatever they think will garner the most votes. Personally, I am so sick and tired of that kind of pandering. If just one of the bozos running for the office would step up and address the real issues we are facing, propose some kind of solution that they would work towards, and if they'd just stop the bullshit name-calling and pointing out how bad the other guy is, I'd vote for that candidate in a heartbeat, without hesitation. If you know of anyone like that running for President, I'd be glad of the tip, though.

Jaywon Choe
Feb. 17, 2012

The Baltimore Sun reports that the former vice president has been lobbying for same-sex marriage in Maryland this week. According to the paper, Cheney offered to meet with at least one lawmaker there — Republican Wade Kach — to discuss his vote on the gay marriage issue.

Cheney is a NON enity. Period.

Immie

Haven't mentioned who I might vote for...the choices are dire, at best. As much as I despise having nothing more promising than casting a vote the lesser of evils, it certainly seems to be the only choice left.
No, I do not think lying is in any way, shape, or form justifiable under these circumstances. I understand what you're saying about pols doing and saying whatever they think will garner the most votes. Personally, I am so sick and tired of that kind of pandering. If just one of the bozos running for the office would step up and address the real issues we are facing, propose some kind of solution that they would work towards, and if they'd just stop the bullshit name-calling and pointing out how bad the other guy is, I'd vote for that candidate in a heartbeat, without hesitation. If you know of anyone like that running for President, I'd be glad of the tip, though.

I have said for a very long time that if a candidate would get up in front of the country and say something like, "my opponent is a decent person and has decent ideas, but this is why I am better...", I would vote for the candidate rather than the opponent in a heart beat.

I, too, am sick of the pandering. I, too, am sick of the corruption. I, too, am sick of the partisan politics.

I'm not voting for either of the two major parties. I'll probably cast a third party vote. I would like to see more than 60% of us do that just to get a point across. I don't care which party it is but it would be a treat if we could teach these bastards a lesson.

Immie

Jaywon Choe
Feb. 17, 2012

The Baltimore Sun reports that the former vice president has been lobbying for same-sex marriage in Maryland this week. According to the paper, Cheney offered to meet with at least one lawmaker there — Republican Wade Kach — to discuss his vote on the gay marriage issue.

The Maryland legislature is in the middle of an intense debate over whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. If it does, the state would join New Jersey and Washington as the third state whose legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage legislation in as many weeks.

Did you just have a Sister Souljah moment?----good on you.

Jaywon Choe
Feb. 17, 2012

The Maryland legislature is in the middle of an intense debate over whether or not to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. If it does, the state would join New Jersey and Washington as the third state whose legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage legislation in as many weeks.

Despite his reputation as a hardcore Republican, Cheney is a supporter of gay marriage, which he believes should be legalized on a state-by-state basis. Cheney's second daughter Mary, is openly gay.

Did you just have a Sister Souljah moment?----good on you.

In United States politics, a Sister Souljah moment is a politician's public repudiation of an extremist person or group, statement, or position perceived to have some association with the politician or the politician's party. Such an act of repudiation is designed to signal to centrist voters that the politician is not beholden to traditional, and sometimes unpopular, interest groups associated with the party, although such a repudiation runs the risk of alienating some of the politician's allies and the party's base voters. The term is named for the political activist Sister Souljah.

Immie

I have said for a very long time that if a candidate would get up in front of the country and say something like, "my opponent is a decent person and has decent ideas, but this is why I am better...", I would vote for the candidate rather than the opponent in a heart beat.

I, too, am sick of the pandering. I, too, am sick of the corruption. I, too, am sick of the partisan politics.

I'm not voting for either of the two major parties. I'll probably cast a third party vote. I would like to see more than 60% of us do that just to get a point across. I don't care which party it is but it would be a treat if we could teach these bastards a lesson.

Immie

I'd howl my butt off if, say, Paul won. I do think that many Independent and non-affiliated voters are tempted to do just what you suggest. Unfortunately, there are way too many Dems who would not vote that way, for many reasons. Mostly, they are too invested in the current Dear Dem Leader. They have proven incapable of the ability to recognize the tremendous damage he has done or the increased damage he has declared he will continue to do to this Nation. For that reason, many others, GOP and otherwise who do recognize what the Dem Dear Leader is all about, will choose rather to vote for the lesser of evils. On some level, I am tempted to vote for the Dem Dear Leader just so we can get to the revolution that much sooner. Romney will slow the descent into greater corruption and decadence, but I do not believe he has the will notto prevent it to any great measure.

Obama refuses to state his beliefs and he seems to be attempting to please both sides in this issue. He needs to grow a set and be honest instead of trying to play everyone and pretend he is on each side. He said his views are evolving, which is another way of saying he is too chicken to tell the truth about what he thinks. I'm sure his views won't be done evolving until after the election, then it won't matter that half the people were given the wrong impression.

Obama’s gay marriage balancing act gets awkward
Obama

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhQBZ1La0w]Obama @ Saddleback Church -Defines Marriage - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back