Obama's game of chicken

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Luddly Neddite, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    The Washington Monthly - The Magazine - Obama’s Game of Chicken

Caution - This is not suitable reading for rw nutters. Please take my word for this. If you're an Obama hater, you REALLY do not want to read this.

YOU

HAVE

BEEN

WARNED.

2. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    When you get to this sentence in the link, you can stop, for the rest is bullshit:

There you have it. The notion that government should intervene if someone is unhappy. :doubt:

There are always choices...for the farmers and the processors. If this farmer's processor is screwing him, he can: find another processor, become a better negotiator, file a lawsuit, diversify the operation, form a cooperative, alter his business plan and raise a different bird, find a niche market, start a new processing business, sell the farm and buy another, or a thousand other possibilities.

The point is, if the processor has broken a contract with the farmer, he has a remedy. If the processor is simply intolerable to work with, there are always choices. Life isn't always convenient. You shouldn't get to steal from me to make it so.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    [​IMG]

:woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo: . :woohoo:

4. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,266
    Yes, of course you want everyone to stop reading...

Bottom line, the GOP controlled house stands squarely behind the big companies that are screwing farmers and small business owners. The GOP illustrates once again that when they say they are out to protect the constitution, they really mean they want to protect large corporations and the wealthy. I expect that some of the large meat and poutry companies delivered some signigicant checks to House members for their votes. Speaker Boner handed them out, but not on the House floor. He had his hands slapped for doing that before. What a Crock!

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Ah yes, clearly, we just don't have enough government meddling in markets. :doubt:

6. tyroneweaver

tyroneweaver Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    I would imagine that a lot of these chicken companies got their business by attractive property tax incentives.
    The thing that county commissioners should do is tie property tax credits, and business licenses to fair business practices.

blaming this on boehner is hilarious.

I live in the middle of farm country. ethanol plant on one side of the road and a chicken plant on the other and wind turbines on the other. I know the politics involved. Its politics on a local level. the chickens in this area are shipped out the minute their born back to illinois somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012