Obama's Foreign Policy ????

I think Colin is missing the point of this sub-forum. You make an assertion and you back it up w/ a link. Simple as that. None of this "finger-on-the-pulse" (it is because I say it is) business :rolleyes:

And just to make a small point here...
The sources you linked to are
The White House (which way does it lean?)
Pew (which way does it lean?)

In conclusion, discounting anyone's personal experience or links, will definitely end any type of debate.

1. The leaning of the White House is not important in the discussion at hand. The records of gifts received and given to various administrations are also a matter of public record.

2. Do you have any data that contradicts the statistics gathered by Pew?
Do you have some refutation of their polling methodology to present to us that invalidates the poll?
Or does your argument consist entirely of "I don't agree with their findings, therefore they are wrong."?

Take the example of the figures Pew shows for David Cameron. Pew shows that 46% of the British public have confidence in Cameron. A poll conducted by YouGov at the same time as Pew's fieldwork was being conducted shows that Cameron's popularity was at its lowest ebb with only 30% saying he would make the best leader for Britain.

I've learned to take research of this type with a pinch of salt since none of them can ever come up with similar findings.

I think Colin is missing the point of this sub-forum. You make an assertion and you back it up w/ a link. Simple as that. None of this "finger-on-the-pulse" (it is because I say it is) business :rolleyes:

I think you're missing the point of this thread.

Take the example of the figures Pew shows for David Cameron. Pew shows that 46% of the British public have confidence in Cameron. A poll conducted by YouGov at the same time as Pew's fieldwork was being conducted shows that Cameron's popularity was at its lowest ebb with only 30% saying he would make the best leader for Britain.

I've learned to take research of this type with a pinch of salt since none of them can ever come up with similar findings.

:D In the US we only use a grain...

:D In the US we only use a grain...

I don't think I could see a grain, let alone pick it up!

I take any claims of "insults" with a grain of salt, seeing as they're coming from Americans who dislike Obama, rather than those countries he's supposedly "insulted".

The fact that Romney angered several nations, and is getting a pass from both media outlets and posters here reflects the double standard.

Those are two completely different questions.

You can certainly have confidence in someone, yet still think someone else would be a better leader.

There is no contradiction there.

Perhaps questions like 'how do you regard Obama's policy on the Falklands,' would be more appropriate. And on the sample size, well basing general questions against 1000 respondents isn't exactly going to get under the skin of the nation in terms of what they really think. A piddle makes hardly a ripple in the ocean.

"But Britain needs the Falklands, for strategic sheepherding purposes!"

Perhaps questions like 'how do you regard Obama's policy on the Falklands,' would be more appropriate. And on the sample size, well basing general questions against 1000 respondents isn't exactly going to get under the skin of the nation in terms of what they really think. A piddle makes hardly a ripple in the ocean.

Britain stands by the Falklanders because THEY want to remain A British territory and we shall continue to ensure self-determination for them as long as they want it. Incidentally, a lot of men gave their lives for those principles, many of whom were close friends with whom I was proud to serve. You will understand, then, why I find your off-topic attempt at humour somewhat pathetic and less than intelligent.

After 3,5 years I have yet to discover if there is such a thing as an Obama foreign policy. On the whole, President Obama has shown himself blissfully unconcerned about the rest of the world. He must be the least internationally engaged President since Calvin Coolidge.

Britain stands by the Falklanders because THEY want to remain A British territory and we shall continue to ensure self-determination for them as long as they want it. Incidentally, a lot of men gave their lives for those principles, many of whom were close friends with whom I was proud to serve. You will understand, then, why I find your off-topic attempt at humour somewhat pathetic and less than intelligent.

Sometimes I channel Eddie Izzard. It happens. :eusa_whistle:

I'm with Colin. We are in a position of not having our self determination questioned, where the Falklands were. Britain came to their defense and should be applauded for that. It cost lives, and that is not funny at all.

I'm with Colin. We are in a position of not having our self determination questioned, where the Falklands were. Britain came to their defense and should be applauded for that. It cost lives, and that is not funny at all.

True.

A liberal mindset does not recognize the words 'loyalty' or 'commitment'... and, generally speaking, they have no concept of the issues surrounding the Falklands. Fighting for something is not a liberal value.... in my opinion.

You hit the point very well. Thankfully, the US supported Britain in its fight to liberate their island.

New Topics

Forum List

Back