Obama's False Populism

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
So tomorrow night the president, now under intense pressure following the rising tide of Tea Party populism in America, will go before the nation and proudly declare a targeted "spending freeze".

Such a situation is proof positive that Obamanomics are not working. Recall during the campaign when Obama mocked John McCain for proposing a spending freeze. Now Obama finds himself, at least superficially, embracing the concept of more conservative fiscal policy.

This proposal by Obama though - even under his own White House best case scenario positive projections, show a savings of just $250 billion over ten years - or roughly $25 billion per year. In essence - a very small fraction of the overall federal budget. It should also be noted that the proposal will come AFTER Obama finishes up passage of an additional $150 billion "jobs bill" that is on top off the hundreds of billions still left unspent for his stimulus bill. Those two items alone account for nearly a trillion dollars in ADDITIONAL government spending - so $25 billion a year savings is NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.

It is akin to one proudly declaring they will not borrow $10 next year because you want to be more fiscally responsible - but then borrowing $1000 this year and hoping nobody notices the hypocrisy.

That being said, this superficial populism by Obama is an opportunity to elicit real fiscal conservatism from him in the not too distant future. Conservatives should endorse Obama's spending freeze - while pointing out they fall far short and offering up far more real and effective opportunities for spending controls. Require that Obama make the choice of fully supporting real conservative populism, are openly fighting it - as he has done since day one.

America's economy is facing an increasingly uncertain future that can only be salvaged by a vibrant and growing economy. Obama and the Democrat Party leadership are fighting such growth with policies intended to grow the government at the expense of the private sector. If this situation is not remedied, full on fiscal chaos will ensue.

Let Obama dip his toe into the populist waters, and then push him in.

Let's see if the guy knows how to swim

Could be that Obama got an e-mail from China stating that they are not going to lend the US any money in 2011. I think we may have been cut off. That's the only way I know of that would prevent a liberal Democrat from spending money.

Could be that Obama got an e-mail from China stating that they are not going to lend the US any money in 2011. I think we may have been cut off. That's the only way I know of that would prevent a liberal Democrat from spending money.

He's not actually cutting spending - it's a pretense of doing so under the current populist climate that is moving through the country. The overal deficit is still climbing higher and higher under Obama - faster than at any time post WWII...

This fake Obama populism could be an opportunity to force the Democrats to actually initiate real spending cuts though - and if they refuse to do so, 2010 will clean them out.

Then we have to make sure the newer crop of Republicans don't revert back to the crazy spending days of their own most recent era...

This nation will never elect a populist leader as President. Left or Right. People are to stupid to read vote for their interests rather then against them. So much so that liebrals are now screaming over corporations having more influence in elections... when really it's not the corporations fault... it's the people's fault for believing the bullshit.

Obama was a nice thought. I don't regret him being in office. But unless something changes seriously, wouldn't mind having new blood in 2012.

He's certainly not the populist people thought he'd be. Reality's just set in and now people are mad. Again... whatever.

He's not actually cutting spending - it's a pretense of doing so under the current populist climate that is moving through the country. The overal deficit is still climbing higher and higher under Obama - faster than at any time post WWII...

This fake Obama populism could be an opportunity to force the Democrats to actually initiate real spending cuts though - and if they refuse to do so, 2010 will clean them out.

Then we have to make sure the newer crop of Republicans don't revert back to the crazy spending days of their own most recent era...

I still don't understand the concept. It seems stupid. Why freeze it? If it's not neccesary then cut it, completely.

Except at the current pace of deficit - we will soon be entering a very real crisis in the not too distant future.

And not that fake baked up global warming version of crisis either - but a full on fiscal meltdown.

Anyone who has kids/grandkids, or hoping for strong opportunities for future success for themselves, should be waking up to the economic crisis that is now looming.

Our only hope is to free up this economy - and do it quick. Let the American people and free enterprise get us out of the mess our entitlement monstrosity of a government has put us into.

This nation will never elect a populist leader as President. Left or Right. People are to stupid to read vote for their interests rather then against them. So much so that liebrals are now screaming over corporations having more influence in elections... when really it's not the corporations fault... it's the people's fault for believing the bullshit.

Obama was a nice thought. I don't regret him being in office. But unless something changes seriously, wouldn't mind having new blood in 2012.

He's certainly not the populist people thought he'd be. Reality's just set in and now people are mad. Again... whatever.

You say we have to make sure the newer crop of Republicans don't revert back to the crazy spending days of their own most recent era... I am sure you are very right. I believe that if the Republicans get another turn at bat they may keep their eye on the ball a bit better than in the last game. Hopefully they have learned a lesson. I was once a committed Republican but these days I consider myself an Independent due to no real faith in any political party or politicians at this point in time - especially incumbent politicians.

Exactly - Obama's proposed "freeze" is a political SHAM.

It's a head fake - nothing more.

Tomorrow night he is going to declare the spending freeze and talk tough against the big banks and think that he will then be able to wear the crown of populism atop his head.

He will fail...

I still don't understand the concept. It seems stupid. Why freeze it? If it's not neccesary then cut it, completely.

You got that right...

You say we have to make sure the newer crop of Republicans don't revert back to the crazy spending days of their own most recent era... I am sure you are very right. I believe that if the Republicans get another turn at bat they may keep their eye on the ball a bit better than in the last game. Hopefully they have learned a lesson. I was once a committed Republican but these days I consider myself an Independent due to no real faith in any political party or politicians at this point in time - especially incumbent politicians.

Sinatra's talking points are basically shallow, boring, have been posted before, and unconvincing.

Let's move on.

I don't think Obama has the ability to fake populism for very long. The far left is getting as heated as the right at this point. Trapped like a rat.

Obama criticized by liberals

In recent weeks extreme left wing Democrat Howard Dean, former DNC chairman, (below left) sharply rebuked Obama and Congress for not being generous enough with handouts in the proposed government socialized health care legislation.

Now lending his voice to the already deafening din of criticism over what dissenters are calling “broken campaign promises,” a less likely detractor than Limbaugh or Hannity, CNN's Jack Cafferty.

Correct - Obama has never led. His life experience is one of being coddled and congratulated for nothing more than the color of his skin and the ability to read from a telemprompter.

His arrogance originates from his ignorance.

So now Obama finds himself in a position for which he has no real understanding and even less real ability - and the current far left inner circle surrounding him are as out of touch with the realities of the American experience as he is.

____

I don't think Obama has the ability to fake populism for very long. The far left is getting as heated as the right at this point. Trapped like a rat.

Obama criticized by liberals

In recent weeks extreme left wing Democrat Howard Dean, former DNC chairman, (below left) sharply rebuked Obama and Congress for not being generous enough with handouts in the proposed government socialized health care legislation.

Now lending his voice to the already deafening din of criticism over what dissenters are calling “broken campaign promises,” a less likely detractor than Limbaugh or Hannity, CNN's Jack Cafferty.

Gott agree.

I, for one, don't buy his popularist bs for one minute.

OL'BO is a true ideologue. He BELIEVES his agenda is the only way to go. I don't believe his beliefs will let him move to the center. Will just have to wait and see though.

Declaring a spending freeze right now is a bad idea. It was tried by FDR (and for the same reasons, political pressure) and blew up in his face. It was so bad he scrapped it the following year.

If he keeps dancing like this, Ellen will want him back on the show. A little to the right and a little to the left. Pivot and leap; skip and jump!

Sinatra's talking points are basically shallow, boring, have been posted before, and unconvincing.

Let's move on.

Sinatra's talking points are spot on. Obama's SOTU will be nothing more than a highly orchestrated con job.

So tomorrow night the president, now under intense pressure following the rising tide of Tea Party populism in America, will go before the nation and proudly declare a targeted "spending freeze".

Such a situation is proof positive that Obamanomics are not working. Recall during the campaign when Obama mocked John McCain for proposing a spending freeze. Now Obama finds himself, at least superficially, embracing the concept of more conservative fiscal policy.

This proposal by Obama though - even under his own White House best case scenario positive projections, show a savings of just $250 billion over ten years - or roughly $25 billion per year. In essence - a very small fraction of the overall federal budget. It should also be noted that the proposal will come AFTER Obama finishes up passage of an additional $150 billion "jobs bill" that is on top off the hundreds of billions still left unspent for his stimulus bill. Those two items alone account for nearly a trillion dollars in ADDITIONAL government spending - so $25 billion a year savings is NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.

It is akin to one proudly declaring they will not borrow $10 next year because you want to be more fiscally responsible - but then borrowing $1000 this year and hoping nobody notices the hypocrisy.

That being said, this superficial populism by Obama is an opportunity to elicit real fiscal conservatism from him in the not too distant future. Conservatives should endorse Obama's spending freeze - while pointing out they fall far short and offering up far more real and effective opportunities for spending controls. Require that Obama make the choice of fully supporting real conservative populism, are openly fighting it - as he has done since day one.

America's economy is facing an increasingly uncertain future that can only be salvaged by a vibrant and growing economy. Obama and the Democrat Party leadership are fighting such growth with policies intended to grow the government at the expense of the private sector. If this situation is not remedied, full on fiscal chaos will ensue.

Both sides jerk "populist" strings.

Op-Ed Columnist - The Populist Addiction - NYTimes.com

And Brooks is right, the American public will never select a populist president.

Sinatra's crampy today because Sarah Palin threw her support to John McRINO after all her phoney schtick about how she was going to use her PAC to support conservatives regardless.

Just as Obama will never be a populist president - despite his makeover attempts the last 72 hours.

The guy repeatedly proves himself an utter sham.

Utterly lacking in real world experience, common sense, and intellectual curiousity...

Both sides jerk "populist" strings.

Op-Ed Columnist - The Populist Addiction - NYTimes.com

And Brooks is right, the American public will never select a populist president.

More likely they said they wanted flowers before he did sex to them.

:D

Forum List

Back