Obama's earmark for his wife

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Wow, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Wow

Wow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where is this so called change? It must be in Africa because it's not in the US. :eusa_angel:

The Campaign Spot on National Review Online
    One of Obama's Earmark Requests Was for the Hospital That Employs Michelle Obama

Dan Riehl notes, via Amanda Carpenter, that in the list of earmarks he requested, $1 million was requested for the construction of a new hospital pavilion at the University Of Chicago. The request was put in in 2006.

You know who works for the University of Chicago Hospital?

Michelle Obama. She's vice president of community affairs.

As Byron noted, "In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office."

Looks like that raise was worth it.

03/13 04:48 PM

2. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Lame....

He got money for a HOSPITAL in his district. That's what people want their congressman to do.

How old are you? Does your mother know you are using the computer?

3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251

sigh, I am starting to think your working for Obama. Baseless attacks do little to further the cause of defeating Obama.

4. Wow

Wow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do not work for the National Review. Why attack the messenger?

5. Wow

Wow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought Obama was the candidate for change?
    Obama made change the cornerstone of his campaign, where is this change?
    When Obama says he will not do business as usual in Washington, should we assume Obama is lying and ignore his ear marks for his own wife?
    His witch says she is not proud of America? She gets her salary doubled because he husband got $1 million for her employer.
    In my occupation, that would be highly illegal and people would go to prison.
    As you can see, I could careless how the media tries to make Obama some sort of a rock star, I'm not 20 years old.
    Obama is a typical corrupt Gangsta from Chicago!

6. Jeepers

Jeepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've always been a big earmark fan actually... You send your peeps to washington to look after your best interest.. earmarks do that... whether it be assistance with a factory, hospital, Hwy, bridge, or study funding the smoking of snails that eat tobacco..

Who btw, uses this hospital?

7. Wow

Wow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Earmarks are a form of discrimination.
    Politicians are taking money from taxpayers in 50 states and are spending it in one state. Look at the Big Dig in Boston. It's been a $15 billion disaster. It's the most expensive tunnel in world history and it barely functions and is still killing innocent people.
    Why should Texans be paying for such incompetence and have no control over it?
    This is taking more power from the people.
    Chicago hospital?
    Michelle Obama's salary at this hospital was increased 265%, after Barry was elected Senator. The $1 Million earmark covers her salary increase for a decade.
    I see this as giving money to himself or his own family. This is stealing from the American people!

8. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    The Big Dig?

That has nothing to do with money for a hospital in Illinois. Why don't you go back to gay marriage and flag burning amendments?

9. Wow

Wow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Michelle Obama's salary at this hospital was increased 265%, after Barry was elected Senator. The $1 Million earmark covers her salary increase for a decade.
    I see this as giving money to himself or his own family. This is stealing from the American people!

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Earmarks, otherwise formerly know as pork spending are BULLSHIT, and should not be allowed. Each piece of legislation should stand on its own and have the light of day shone on it, not hidden on page 23 of another initiative.

I don't care who is doing it or for what reason. I guarantee you that you expose that shit to actual scrutiny and a lot of it will never be proposed.