Obama's coalition is starting to crumble.

Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary Measures’ to Protect Civilians, by Vote of 10 in Favour with 5 Abstentions

^^^^ That's the Resolution. According to internation law, it is broad enough to allow attacks on ground forces to ensure the safety of civilians. And... no one has attacked his private real-estate. Hysteria and hyperbole don't make facts. Facts are facts.

It is UK-US-French jets in the air.

You can't pretend, that this is a UN operation.
This ain't a broad coalition. Mainly due to the style of developments after the UN resolution.

It is an isolated effort, so far.

What?????
No Saudi jets in the air?
We've sold them a load of them and trained their pilots.

Germany's military doesn't do offensive ops. Haven't done since WWII. No change, and they provide their support in other ways.

They block NATO involvement and NATO assuming control of the operation, together with Turkey.
This position might change, but that's where we are as of now after 2 days of NATO meetings.

We don't even know who these so called rebels really are other than what our sad news tells us. I'm just not buying this humanitarian dig. Too many corollaries can be drawn to the opposition of such an argument.

First question I have? WHO are the Rebels in Libya? Are they freedom fighters? Folks who want Democracy? Capitalism? Are the Muslims? Mixed?

Like the rebels in Egypt, Tunisia and Yemen, they're the younger generation who has had enough of tyrannical governments. They're "westernized" to the extent that they also have modern communications and information access whereas the citizens were kept in the dark for decades unaware that their lives didn't have to be suppressed.

Germany's military doesn't do offensive ops. Haven't done since WWII. No change, and they provide their support in other ways.

They block NATO involvement and NATO assuming control of the operation, together with Turkey.
This position might change, but that's where we are as of now after 2 days of NATO meetings.

Gotta keep the Muslims happy somehow.

I believe the UAE has also committed. I don't know how many planes they have, but if not enough, that little Arab country is so rich, it could purchase a dozen or so from China for overnight delivery.

No. I already provided the link in the thread, where UAE Foreign Ministry says, that it's role in Libya is solely delivering Humanitarian Aid. The Statement is from Today.

And I have provided a link stating that that is not the case.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
· Strike aircraft are reported en route to Decimomannu air base.

Coalition Against Gadhafi Growing - Defense News

And I have provided a link stating that that is not the case.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
· Strike aircraft are reported en route to Decimomannu air base.

Coalition Against Gadhafi Growing - Defense News

are reported....
Those reports have not more legitimacy then UAE Foreign MInister
UAE role in Libya 'strictly humanitarian' - official - Politics & Economics - ArabianBusiness.com

He says: Strictly humanitarian. In coordination with Turkey.

They can say whatever they want, for whatever reasons they want. Fact is, the UAE wants this action and is helping. As are other Arab nations.... despite what they say.

"France was first to strike"

3 days before Tunisian president was ousted by own population, Sarkozy's FM offered security-forces to Tunisian President against demonstrators.
article11666370445e3bc0.jpg

On Friday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu met with Nasser al-Mani, a member of the interim administration formed in Benghazi after the popular uprising against Gaddafi. Turkey believes that related procedure in international law has not been fully implemented on the issue of forming the coalition concerning Libya, Davutoğlu told reporters in Ankara on Monday.

Before everything else, there is a procedure in international law for the forming of such a coalition. We don’t have the conviction that this procedure has been applied sufficiently. We also conveyed that we found it inappropriate that an operation -- which should have been under UN governance and which should have been absolutely within the parameters of fundamental UN principles and which should have been open to participation -- is launched at a meeting attended by a small group of countries.

Turkey criticizes France's role in Libya intervention

Folks, this is turning out to be a giant bag of worms. More unaswered questions with possible bad outcomes for us. But this is what happens when policy is not thought through with no Congressional input as to cause at least some deliberation, led by an incompetent United Nations.

Well they're bombing everything in sight. Their "No Fly Zone" is Bullshit. Unless Libyan buildings,tanks,and cars can fly. I saw quite a few of them smoldering in ruins today on the News. In the end it really is...They lied and many Libyans died. It's very sad.

Al-Qaeda has a small foothold in eastern Libya. Does Al-Qaeda gain a larger foothold if Libya splits in two or if Ghadafi gets overthrown?

Turkey hosts Bengazhi interim administration in Ankara same time it represents USA in Libya and frees 4 NYT journalists and 1 Guardian journalist from Ghaddafi's prison.
We have diplomatic channel open to both sides.

Others claim to represent some kind of world-consensus by dropping bombs in Libya. Other solution then dropping bombs they don't have so far.

Turkey to serve as protecting power for U.S. in Libya - CNN.com
Turkey helps free Guardian journalist in Libya | World news | guardian.co.uk
Freed NY Times Journalists Arrive In Tunisia

Well they're bombing everything in sight. Their "No Fly Zone" is Bullshit. Unless Libyan buildings,tanks,and cars can fly. I saw quite a few of them smoldering in ruins today on the News. In the end it really is...They lied and many Libyans died. It's very sad.

Just keep thinking Locherby Scotland. It'll take some of the sting out of seeing Gudafi and his henchmen get their much belated just reward.

Forum List

Back