Obama's brilliant first move

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Obama's decision to give his first TV interview to the satellite news channel Al Arabiya was intended as an olive branch to the Middle East and to Muslims, the White House said.

"The president believed that this was an opportunity to show the world that he would be personally involved and engaged in seeking long-lasting peace in the Middle East," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

A prominent Palestinian lawmaker, Hanan Ashrawi, said of the interview: "People are starting to feel this isn't just lip service."

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal called the Obama interview a positive development.

Prince Saud said the president expressed a "desire to have a strong and fruitful relationship with the Arab world."

A Jordanian Cabinet minister said Mr. Obama's Middle East vision matches Jordan's desire for a two-state solution for Israel and the Palestinians.

Washington Times - Obama reaches out with Arab TV interview

Obama's decision to give his first TV interview to the satellite news channel Al Arabiya was intended as an olive branch to the Middle East and to Muslims, the White House said.

"The president believed that this was an opportunity to show the world that he would be personally involved and engaged in seeking long-lasting peace in the Middle East," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

A prominent Palestinian lawmaker, Hanan Ashrawi, said of the interview: "People are starting to feel this isn't just lip service."

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal called the Obama interview a positive development.

Prince Saud said the president expressed a "desire to have a strong and fruitful relationship with the Arab world."

A Jordanian Cabinet minister said Mr. Obama's Middle East vision matches Jordan's desire for a two-state solution for Israel and the Palestinians.

Yeah, just brilliant. If you're an Arab.:cuckoo:

I don't see why Republicans and Democrats would have a problem with this.

Especially with the fact that many on both sides have bitched over the past few weeks that they've had enough of talk about Obama and seeing Obama talk. :eusa_whistle:

First move? Didn't he kill some civilians and children in Pakistan last week?

Don't think so Kevin.

Though I've been meaning to point the irony in your position, won't bother since this isn't the thread to do so.

I'm delighted it has been so positively received. That said, sooner or later "olive branches" will not be enough and he'll have to start taking political positions that will piss off one side or the other. When that happens it will be worth watching.

Until than, well done to him on this apparent PR victory (though as Gunny has mentioned, even this has probably pissed some people off already).

Obama realizes that we are in a political war, not just a military one. The only people who can destroy AQ are the Muslims. Why? Because there are ONE BILLION Muslims in the world.

Obama realizes that we are in a political war, not just a military one. The only people who can destroy AQ are the Muslims. Why? Because there are ONE BILLION Muslims in the world.

wonder what's been holding them back doyathink?

Oh I know, I know.. They probably agree with the terrorists.. i think they even took a poll that said so..

Oh I know, I know.. They probably agree with the terrorists.. i think they even took a poll that said so..

Exactly the point.

Obama is changing world opinion. This is called leadership.

Giving an interview is a hell of a lot cheaper than wasting 4,000 American dead, 30,000 wounded, and $700 billion dollars.

No his most astute political move to date was virtually slapping Pelosi in the face this weekend. That one move will do more to win over Republicans than anything he may do for a long time.

Exactly the point.

Obama is changing world opinion. This is called leadership.

Giving an interview is a hell of a lot cheaper than wasting 4,000 American dead, 30,000 wounded, and $700 billion dollars.

well, he must be the messiah then, if he can change opinions in one interview. Wowser Wowser Wowser.

His most astute political move to date was virtually slapping Pelosi?

I missed that one.

God, we need term limits in Congress badly.

Last edited:
First, this isnt his first move.

Second, I dont see what's brilliant about doing an interview. Nor how you think people who cant afford internet, television, and who might not even know how to read or write are going to be touched by a man leading a nation half way around the world. Especially when the nations they live in don't allow free speech.

But keep telling yourself it's brilliant. As though this matters.

First, this isnt his first move.

Second, I dont see what's brilliant about doing an interview. Nor how you think people who cant afford internet, television, and who might not even know how to read or write are going to be touched by a man leading a nation half way around the world. Especially when the nations they live in don't allow free speech.

But keep telling yourself it's brilliant. As though this matters.

When George Bush was asked what he had learned from his first four years in office, he said, "Words matter."

Forum List

Back