Obama's Bridge to No where

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Now that Alaska is front and center in the news again, it is a good time to catch up on a favorite story, The Bridge to Nowhere, using the Washington Post US Congress Votes Database.

Though Gov. Palin originally supported the earmark spending on the Ketchikan bridge (“to nowhere), she eventually killed the project, chosing to spend Federal money on other infrasturcture programs.

However, Sen. Biden and Sen. Obama voted for funding the Bridge, even when given a second chance by Sen. Tom Coburn, who proposed shifting earmark funds to Katrina relief.

Sen. McCain did not vote on the Coburn Amendment, though he is on record as opposing the Ketchikan bridge earmark.
    *Chicago Observer*

Well here we go, Obama and Biden point the finger at Palin as well as the DNC for earmarks, and the "Bridge to Nowhere" and guess what? He never even opposed it all all, so I guess that makes him consistant?

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

So how much "hope and change" you gonna get from someone who talks a good game, but when he is in DC he's handing out money like the rest of them and even at the expense of Hurricane relief. Notice, John McCain was not there to vote and also is on record as not supporting the Bridge. So time to get off that moral high horse there Mr. Obama.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Jeepers

Jeepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If true, I have no problem with that. Point is, your girl lied... then she said I told congress to keep that money. We would use our money to build what we need..

How many lies can one woman tell in a day.. Does being a maverick mean you have to lie and flip flop... turns out that she didnt even fire the cook like she says...

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    All I heard Barack Obama say on Palin and the bridge to nowhere is that she has lied in saying she was always against it.

Besides, don't even bring up Katrina and John McCain in the same sentence. He said he'd be on the ground helping the day Katrina hit landfall if he were President.

Gee, why didn't he tell his buddy George this? You know, when they were sharing cake near Air Force One the day after Katrina hit landfall?

MotherJones Blog: John McCain's Miserable Record on Hurricane Katrina

President George W. Bush joins Arizona Senator John McCain in a small celebration of McCain's 69th birthday Monday, Aug. 29, 2005, after the President's arrival at Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix. The President later spoke about Medicare to 400 gues

$20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.jpg

4. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    * I told congress no on that bridge to no where* Sarah Palin which she did, where's the lie?

5. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    - Factcheck.org

FactCheck.org: GOP Convention Spin, Part II

Really Navy, Need I say more?

6. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Obama and McCain are running on different sorts of change.

Obama has a different economic plan than what we've had for the past eight years. McCain doesn't.

McCain wants to cut pork, I don't know that Obama has ever come out strongly against that. Obama wants to invest in future technologies, health care, education, and other areas that are of domestic and long term importance. McCain wants to run on the past strategies but cut pork.

Now, I admit that's a bit of a simplification, but in broad strokes it is mostly how I understand their campaings. My money is on the investment strategy.

I suppose if you think the economy stems from pork, then you vote for McCain's change. If you think the economy stems from Bush's economic ideology you vote for obama.

Palin's problem (one of many) is that she is not transparent at all, in fact some have gone so far to say that she tells untruths. So that's the problem with her bridge stance.

I think there was something else I wanted to add but I forget... age and all....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  7. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    SHe actually said thanks but no thanks and she never talkes about keeping the money does she. And why doesn't she use that large surplus she has to build that bridge. For one it is a stupid idea especially with the ferry, cruise ship, and freighter ship traffic in that channel. She used it as a platform to win on! The women used the abortion issue and other such issues to get elected mayor and what may I ask you does social issue's have to do with running for mayor!

8. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    More a question of misleading the public. Is that better?

9. busara

busara wanasiasa wapumbava

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    i never understood the mccain 'change' mantra. is he admitting that bush and his party effed up? or is it change for the sake of it? and that commercial where he talks about washington being broken, well, he's been there for years. he mustve had a hand in breaking it, just like all the politicians.

10. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Robert,

The point is it's a little bit of a double standard to go about, saying *she lied about the bridge to nowhere* and prop yourself up as the man of *hope and change* when in fact your not any different than the people your pointing the finger at. I also think it's a little bit low to imply that because John McCain celebrated his birthday when Katrina hit he was somehow not sympathetic to what was going on there. Should he have called his mother and told her can I change the date of my birthday? (see what I mean). that picture may mean something to a few people but means nothing to me other than an attempt to imply that John McCain doesnt care about Katrina and thats simply not true.