Obama's big government

100% CRAP.

Business won't come into the game until they feel the rules won't change.

And you can provide any data to support that claim? Like may be polls showing majority of businessmen putting changing rules as the biggest obstacle?

Now, businesses are worried about another recession. They will tighten in advance of business falling off.

You morons will never learn.

Came across a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), who asked nearly 4000 small business owners to rank their biggest concerns. They do this report every 4 years, and uncertainty was new to the list. The following was lifted from the press release for the report:

snippet:

The top problem remains “Cost of Health Insurance,” which has historically been the No. 1 problem for small employers; 52 percent labeled it as “critical”. Nearly 40 percent of those surveyed said that economic uncertainty is the most critical problem, followed by 35 percent who identified “Energy Costs, Except Electricity” as critical for their firms; another 35 percent of owners named “Uncertainty Over Government Actions” as their most critical issue.

“This year’s survey was conducted on the heels of the worst U.S. recession since the 1930s; historically high levels of unemployment and housing foreclosures, and historically low levels of consumer confidence and hiring still plague the small-business community,” said Holly Wade, senior policy analyst and survey author. “The high level of uncertainty cited by small employers helps to explain the sector’s inability to recover and expand. Fears over increasing health insurance costs continue to dominate the list of concerns for small businesses, very much in spite of the president’s health insurance reform law—certainly not an endorsement of the policy, nor a good sign for the future of the sector.”

Uncertainty has emerged as a major hurdle to small-business recovery and growth, prompting the addition of two new problems, “Uncertainty over Economic Conditions” and “Uncertainty over Government Actions” to this year’s survey. Small-business owners ranked these two problems as the second and fourth (respectively) most severe problems facing their businesses. In the last four years, the federal government has enacted significant policy changes of an immense nature; their impact will continue as the regulatory system works to implement new policy directives. Uncertainty also surrounds pending government action on the expiring 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, the debt ceiling and the federal budget. All of these policy changes create a huge “question mark” for small-business owners, impeding their ability to make short and long-term business decisions
"Uncertainty" Dominates the Top Five Small-Business Concerns | NFIB

Big business is not going to put out big money (two year lag) to bring capacity to market when they can't trust that their business won't be regulated to being uncompetative overnight.

Big business is not going to put out big money (two year lag) to bring capacity to market when they can't trust that their business won't be regulated to being uncompetative overnight.

Exactly. Nor will banks and investors put up the capital to create or expand businesses in an environment that is questionable in terms of the expected ROI. It's not merely an issue of demand but also supply; what are my costs going to be and what price will I have to charge and what demand can I expect at that price. If everything is up in the air, no businessperson is going to take the risk.

Exactly. Nor will banks and investors put up the capital to create or expand businesses in an environment that is questionable in terms of the expected ROI. It's not merely an issue of demand but also supply; what are my costs going to be and what price will I have to charge and what demand can I expect at that price. If everything is up in the air, no businessperson is going to take the risk.

I see it every day.

We are leaving money on the table because we won't invest in the U.S. It's a shame too. Jobs and long term opportunity going elsewhere.

All because of David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs.

100% CRAP.

Business won't come into the game until they feel the rules won't change.

And you can provide any data to support that claim? Like may be polls showing majority of businessmen putting changing rules as the biggest obstacle?

Now, businesses are worried about another recession. They will tighten in advance of business falling off.

Hey, asshole -- you think nobody noticed how you switched from "worrying about changing rules" to "worrying about another recession"?

Nothing is up in the air. Companies clearly see the depressed demand for years to come, hence there is no reason to increase already under-utilized capacity.

There is not a single shred of evidence suggesting that they are not investing because they fear changing rules and regulations. That is another right-wing lie.

090812krugman2-blog480.jpg

Government employment grew under Bush -- not so much under Obama.

I love this graphic! The stimulus was supposed to save our flailing economy -- look at the chart - can anyone guess where the stimulus effect took place? Now can you tell me what effect a trillion dollars of debt had on the economy?

...and the left wants a BIGGER stimulus??? OMG -- could they be any more clueless on matters of money?

If you think that that spike in government employment was the result of stimulus, I would have to disappoint you -- it was not.

Came across a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), who asked nearly 4000 small business owners to rank their biggest concerns. They do this report every 4 years, and uncertainty was new to the list. The following was lifted from the press release for the report:

snippet:

The top problem remains “Cost of Health Insurance,” which has historically been the No. 1 problem for small employers; 52 percent labeled it as “critical”. Nearly 40 percent of those surveyed said that economic uncertainty is the most critical problem, followed by 35 percent who identified “Energy Costs, Except Electricity” as critical for their firms; another 35 percent of owners named “Uncertainty Over Government Actions” as their most critical issue.

“This year’s survey was conducted on the heels of the worst U.S. recession since the 1930s; historically high levels of unemployment and housing foreclosures, and historically low levels of consumer confidence and hiring still plague the small-business community,” said Holly Wade, senior policy analyst and survey author. “The high level of uncertainty cited by small employers helps to explain the sector’s inability to recover and expand. Fears over increasing health insurance costs continue to dominate the list of concerns for small businesses, very much in spite of the president’s health insurance reform law—certainly not an endorsement of the policy, nor a good sign for the future of the sector.”

Uncertainty has emerged as a major hurdle to small-business recovery and growth, prompting the addition of two new problems, “Uncertainty over Economic Conditions” and “Uncertainty over Government Actions” to this year’s survey. Small-business owners ranked these two problems as the second and fourth (respectively) most severe problems facing their businesses. In the last four years, the federal government has enacted significant policy changes of an immense nature; their impact will continue as the regulatory system works to implement new policy directives. Uncertainty also surrounds pending government action on the expiring 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, the debt ceiling and the federal budget. All of these policy changes create a huge “question mark” for small-business owners, impeding their ability to make short and long-term business decisions
"Uncertainty" Dominates the Top Five Small-Business Concerns | NFIB

Businesses would always prefer to have cheaper costs and lower taxes. And that proves nothing.

What proves something is the fact that businesses are sitting on tons of cash, so giving them more cash via lower taxes, or by reducing their costs will accomplish nothing. They already have enough money to invest, what they don't have is enough customers.

Also form that report, see what is the biggest concern:
Chart-3.jpg

Last edited:
090812krugman2-blog480.jpg

Government employment grew under Bush -- not so much under Obama.

I love this graphic! The stimulus was supposed to save our flailing economy -- look at the chart - can anyone guess where the stimulus effect took place? Now can you tell me what effect a trillion dollars of debt had on the economy?

...and the left wants a BIGGER stimulus??? OMG -- could they be any more clueless on matters of money?

If you think that that spike in government employment was the result of stimulus, I would have to disappoint you -- it was not.

Yeah it was. One trillion dollars gave the unemployer-in-chief 3 months of positive jobs news --- then it went right back to following the same Obama line -right down the tubes - as if the trillion had never been spent....

Pathetic. Proof that a gov't can't buy jobs with money from taxpayers --- as if the concept ever made sense to begin with.

Nothing is up in the air. Companies clearly see the depressed demand for years to come, hence there is no reason to increase already under-utilized capacity.

There is not a single shred of evidence suggesting that they are not investing because they fear changing rules and regulations. That is another right-wing lie.

It was just spelled out for you.

Obama didn't help the cause any with his "you didn't build that" trip up.

Do you always stick your head in the sand when you don't like what life is telling you ?

The web is swimming with articles like this:

http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/commentary/2011/2011-24.cfm

Is uncertainty causing small business owners to behave in ways that are hindering the recovery? That question is at the center of an intense public debate. Though reasonable arguments have been presented on both sides, there is not much empirical evidence to draw on. To contribute some to the discussion, we investigated the statistical association between data on small business plans to hire and make capital expenditures and a measure of policy uncertainty. Our analysis suggests that uncertainty is adversely affecting small business owners’ expansion plans.

Last edited:

Yeah it was. One trillion dollars gave...

No -- it was not the stimulus :)

It was something else, completely unrelated to Obama policies. Yet it was touted by stupid right-wingers as a proof of Obama's BIG GOVERNMENT.

Obviously you did not read post #41.

Do you always stick your head in the sand when you don't like what life is telling you ?

Is uncertainty causing small business owners to behave in ways that are hindering the recovery? That question is at the center of an intense public debate. Though reasonable arguments have been presented on both sides, there is not much empirical evidence to draw on. To contribute some to the discussion, we investigated the statistical association between data on small business plans to hire and make capital expenditures and a measure of policy uncertainty. Our analysis suggests that uncertainty is adversely affecting small business owners’ expansion plans.

Have you read that paper? They use newspaper coverage as an indicator of policy uncertainty. So if Fox news reports on it, then it is true!

Or have you noticed this:
" As the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston reported in July, businesses have expressed “concern about current and future negative effects of increased uncertainty, attributable in part to failure to resolve the U.S. debt ceiling dispute promptly and the associated unclear future course of federal expenditures and taxes."

Failure to promptly rise the debt ceiling is Pubs fault, pure and simple.

And so is lack of clarity on federal expenditures -- because Pubs demand savage cuts.

This uncertainty is not about Obama policy -- it's about Pubs obstruction and dysfunctional political system.

In any case, the way they define uncertainty in this research, it is bound to correlate with the general strength of the economy -- and, hence, with the aggregate demand.

Last edited:

Have you read that paper? They use newspaper coverage as an indicator of policy uncertainty. So if Fox news reports on it, then it is true!

" As the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston reported in July, businesses have expressed “concern about current and future negative effects of increased uncertainty, attributable in part to failure to resolve the U.S. debt ceiling dispute promptly and the associated unclear future course of federal expenditures and taxes."

And so is lack of clarity on federal expenditures -- because Pubs demand savage cuts.

This uncertainty is not about Obama policy -- it's about Pubs obstruction and dysfunctional political system.

In any case, the way they define uncertainty in this research, it is bound to correlate with the general strength of the economy -- and, hence, with the aggregate demand.

I have to laugh when I see asinine assertions like this one. ALL the ‘pubs’ fault, sure. None of it had anything to do with the dems completely ignoring the massive debt and deficit. Such things are inconsequential. On that same note, federal expenditure uncertainty is also ‘all the pubs’ fault too like no one can look at the current and projected debt trend and not realize that it is completely untenable. Essentially, you are blaming everything on the republicans because they want to actually address the problem. I am sure that AFTER the damn breaks, it will also be the republicans fault for not ignoring the problems like the dems are doing….

Your argument does not mean anything. Think about what I said and about what you posted.

And your post even plays into the narrative I have been putting forth.

It's about uncertainty. And what is more funny is that many businesses are now riding the fact that the House is in control of the GOP and will stay there.

No correlation whatsoever to demand (it is quite obvious that you are now just looking at your Macro book to come up with something that looks "smart".

News Flash: It doesn't.

I mean this has been the cornerstone of the argument for a while: How you don't know that is beyond me.

Health Costs, Gov't Regulations Curb Small Business Hiring

What is worse is that you somehow think that putting money in the hands of school teachers is somehow going to "stimulate" the economy. You are of the typical liberal "Well, it ought to work." mentality.

News Flash: It doesn't.

You want to stimulate the economy, you put money in the hands of people who know how to make it multiply and you entice them to go do just that.

Time for Obama Plan B: Bread Lines

Forum List

Back