Obama's Attempt to Destroy America's Work Ethic

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The liberal blogger Mickey Kaus once thought he was paranoid for predicting that the Democrats, once in power, would immediately try to undermine welfare reform.”
In a paper written with Katherine Bradley, Rector said that under the stimulus measure, “the federal government will pay 80 percent of cost for each new family that a state enrolls in welfare.”

Obama's stimulus bill reverses Clinton's welfare reform | Midwest Voices

This reverses the policy put in place by President Bill Clinton when he signed the federal Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act, often referred to as the welfare-reform act. Since 1996, welfare caseloads have plummeted by 70 percent—8.8 million people off the rolls, which today are down to 3.8 million.

Debra Autry had been out of work and on public assistance for more than two decades.
Like many recipients, she was a single mother with three kids at home and was skeptical about working in the private sector, so the state placed her in a publicly subsidized program that had her cleaning government offices in exchange for her benefits. Disliking the work, Autry landed a cashier’s job at a local Revco drugstore, arranging her hours around her children’s school day. After the CVS chain bought out Revco, she enrolled in the company’s program to learn how to become a pharmacy technician and eventually began working in that position, which typically pays between $25 and $30 per hour. Autry’s hard work inspired her children. Her daughter just earned a degree as a physical therapist, while one son is in college and another is working full-time. “I was on welfare because there were no jobs that interested me,” she recalls. "But once I had to go back to work, I realized there’s a future if you want to better yourself. It was the best decision I ever made."

Welfare Reform, Phase Two by Steven Malanga, City Journal Winter 2009

Is this what you voted for?

he did the same stuff when he was senator of IL...i have seen speeches by him on the web where he clearly outlines his goals. people just refused to see it, or they agree with him.

the more us citizens are reliant on the government, the more power the government has.

Forum List

Back