Obama's attacks on Romney have gained him NOTHING in the polls/Time for a new tactic?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Obama has been hammering Mitt over Bain and personal finances for some time now. Yet the polls have shown no gain for him despite the attacks. If anything more recent polls have shown that independents are becoming turned off because of the attacks. Thus far we have had the bogus war on women, vulture capitalism (yeah I know....Newt), outsourcing, dogs on roofs, haircuts free of charge, evil rich vs the world, Bain, Bain, Bain, bank accounts outside of the US and any number of other attacks that have failed based on recent polling.

So tell me, WHEN will we get to the issues? You know like say 8.2% UE, a stagnant economy, lack of job growth, true tax reform, immigration reform, foreign policy, out of control spending, BUDGETS, or any number of other things that ACTUALLY affect all Americans? These are the things MOST Americans care about. Does Obama get that? He cant hide forever behind the line of "Romney is the devil" forever. Will Obama be brave enough to actually discuss the issues on their merits, without injecting class warfare?

Umm, actually, I think you better check again on those poll results.

He's gained an average of a point over the past week.

4 points if you go by Rasmussen, which I don't, but I know most of you righties do.

And of course, if Rasmussen says Obama's now ahead by a point, it probably means he's ahead by 4-5 points.

Not that any of that actually means anything at this point in the race.

And how about all the attack ads Romney's been putting out?

Shouldn't he be switching tactics too, by the same logic?

• Banned
Umm, actually, I think you better check again on those poll results.

He's gained an average of a point over the past week.

4 points if you go by Rasmussen, which I don't, but I know most of you righties do.

And of course, if Rasmussen says Obama's now ahead by a point, it probably means he's ahead by 4-5 points.

Not that any of that actually means anything at this point in the race.

And how about all the attack ads Romney's been putting out?

Shouldn't he be switching tactics too, by the same logic?

I have seen several of their campaign speeches thus far. Romney seems fairly focused on the issues while Obama is relying on the same platitudes and rhetoric that got hime elected last time.

As far as the polls go, I was referring to polls of independents. National polls, like you said, are fairly useless at this point except for fine tuning your message. A one point swing in recent weeks doesn't even surpass the margin of error. That being said I think we both know that this election will be decided by a handful of states and their swing voters.

Obama has been hammering Mitt over Bain and personal finances for some time now. Yet the polls have shown no gain for him despite the attacks. If anything more recent polls have shown that independents are becoming turned off because of the attacks. Thus far we have had the bogus war on women, vulture capitalism (yeah I know....Newt), outsourcing, dogs on roofs, haircuts free of charge, evil rich vs the world, Bain, Bain, Bain, bank accounts outside of the US and any number of other attacks that have failed based on recent polling.

So tell me, WHEN will we get to the issues? You know like say 8.2% UE, a stagnant economy, lack of job growth, true tax reform, immigration reform, foreign policy, out of control spending, BUDGETS, or any number of other things that ACTUALLY affect all Americans? These are the things MOST Americans care about. Does Obama get that? He cant hide forever behind the line of "Romney is the devil" forever. Will Obama be brave enough to actually discuss the issues on their merits, without injecting class warfare?

And will he even show up to any debates to discuss his real record. Will he continue to hide, or give an excuse that he's just too busy to attend any debates?

I have seen several of their campaign speeches thus far. Romney seems fairly focused on the issues while Obama is relying on the same platitudes and rhetoric that got hime elected last time.

As far as the polls go, I was referring to polls of independents. National polls, like you said, are fairly useless at this point except for fine tuning your message. A one point swing in recent weeks doesn't even surpass the margin of error. That being said I think we both know that this election will be decided by a handful of states and their swing voters.

True enough on the swing voter thing.

However, in the same way you see everything Obama says as "platitudes and rhetoric", so do other people see everything Romney says as "platitude and rhetoric".

It's a commonly observed phenomenon known as "confirmation bias".

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

In other words, people tend to listen to what they want to hear, and when someone says something they don't want to hear, they tune out.

And will he even show up to any debates to discuss his real record. Will he continue to hide, or give an excuse that he's just too busy to attend any debates?

There have been no scheduled "debates" for Mr Obama to "show up to".

• Banned

True enough on the swing voter thing.

However, in the same way you see everything Obama says as "platitudes and rhetoric", so do other people see everything Romney says as "platitude and rhetoric".

It's a commonly observed phenomenon known as "confirmation bias".

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

In other words, people tend to listen to what they want to hear, and when someone says something they don't want to hear, they tune out.

Point taken. But I doubt my memory of Obama's speeches from 08 have faded that much. Like them or not, I remember them and todays campaign speeches sound very familiar.

Obama is leading in the polls...maybe its working

Looks like Romney is going to have to start giving interviews outside of FoxNews and start giving specifics of his platform

I disagree Gramps, it has successfully taken the focus off his failed presidency.

Obama still has the following cards to play:

1. Middle East War (attack Iran, Syria, etc)

2. Fake a terrorist attack

3. Fake an assassination attempt (by the Tea Party of course)

4. Use the Earthquake machine

I disagree Gramps, it has successfully taken the focus off his failed presidency.

Wont last long. He cant keep up this line of attack for 3 months. Americans are not that stupid and will eventually start demanding more

Looks like Romney is going to have to start giving interviews outside of FoxNews and start giving specifics of his platform

When this race started Obama had a very large lead in national polls. That has all but evaporated.

Its helpful to have a memory that goes back further than a week or two

Wont last long. He cant keep up this line of attack for 3 months. Americans are not that stupid and will eventually start demanding more

I hope you are right but I'm more cynical about the average American voter than you are.

When this race started Obama had a very large lead in national polls. That has all but evaporated.

Those of us with a memory also remember that Conservatives were SLOW to coalesce around Romney, so obviously Obama had higher poll numbers before that happened.

Obama enjoys a wide lead in electoral votes and leads in ten of twelve swing states

Romney is running an uninspiring campaign and has yet to catch fire with moderates. he is running out of time

I hope you are right but I'm more cynical about the average American voter than you are.

In years past I would agree with you. But both sides are awake. Just look back to the midterms and Wisconsin. People are waking up

Obama enjoys a wide lead in electoral votes and leads in ten of twelve swing states

Romney is running an uninspiring campaign and has yet to catch fire with moderates. he is running out of time

Shit, did I miss the election?

Typical tactic. Tell you these things in hopes you won't go vote. (Just like the media)

You see, we vote by electoral votes not popularity. Unless a poll looks state by state and assigns related electoral votes, it is of little use

Romney is way behind

Forum List

Back