Obama's Arizona memorial speech....

Talismen

Lady Templar & Kafir
Dec 28, 2010
Central Iowa
I didn't watch it. I was busy dog-sitting :D

I visit several blogs routinely during the day, and among those I visit, I've seen every kind of reaction to the speech...Michelle Malkin suggests that it was the "right speech, too late, boneheaded venue". Over at Jawa, Good Lt. is taken a-back by the "branding" of the event, and its "campaign rally" environment. Over at HotAir, Allahpundit notes that Obama did an excellent job, better than he'd hoped, but, we should enjoy it now, before the media spins a the new but very predictable "Obama's back!" narrative out of it.

For a text of the actual speech, go here.

I would guess I fall somewhere in between all three of those reactions. I would have to agree with Good Lt. at Jawa...I think the "branding" was rather tasteless, whether done by the University or the White House, or both together. And, although I do think, after watching a few of the video clips, the oddly-placed/oddly-timed "whoots" and "hollars" from the audience were a bit uncomfortable in certain spots, I would have to agree with Erick Erickson over at RedState, that it was a celebration of life and exactly what was needed after so much sadness. We must remember that sometimes, people grieve in the strangest of ways, and I think this was probably a factor as well.

All in all, I think the President's speech was a good one. It struck the right tone, at the right time, although I wish he would've said something sooner, in an attempt to quash the insinuations of blame, from BOTH sides of the aisle. But, all in all, if the memorial helped one grieving family member or friend deal with their hurt and heartache, that is a good thing.

It is a sad irony though, that after many in the media (and the minions who follow along lock-step) went to great lengths to insert Sarah Palin into the long, twisted litany of those who should supposedly be blamed, we now get word that she is getting death threats at unprecedented levels. Many of those who supposedly would like nothing more than for her to just disappear into the background, also apparently want her dead.

My my...An awful lot of little potential "Loughner's" out there, from the sounds of it....ay?

I think Allahpundit at HotAir says it best here:
Now, let’s see tomorrow how the media and the left react to this story. There’ll be three responses, I assume. One: “Hey, maybe we should tone down the rhetoric on Palin before she gets shot.” If so much as one person offers that, consider it a victory. Two: “I condemn the threats, but we can’t be held responsible for the actions of crazies.” That’s actually the right answer, I think, or at least it would be if they’d been criticizing her for something she’d actually done. Having invented the Loughner connection out of thin air, though? Nope. Three: “She’s lying, either to turn down the heat on herself and earn sympathy or because she enjoys the media spotlight.”

Mind you, there’s actual documentary evidence of some of the threats, but this will be the default explanation anyway thanks to the magical civility gene that makes liberals who are mentally ill somehow utterly immune to the worst rhetorical excesses.

Might I suggest something to those who would make death threats against ANYONE for political reasons, let alone Sarah Palin? Allow me: -- Do the world a favor you friggin' butt-munches: Read the President's speech. Listen to his words.

Yes, I suppose Obama's presence kept you from watching a memorial for your fellow Americans.

Too bad, seeing the heroic intern made my evening.

While I found his speech to be a tad political, I have to say.... he spoke off the cuff, with no prepared notes... brave and naive thing at that kind of event. But... what he did on Saturday was seriously impressive.

Even more impressive was that older woman who actually grabbed Loughner's clip out of his hand as he tried to reload.... that takes some BIG courage too.

Yes, I suppose Obama's presence kept you from watching a memorial for your fellow Americans.

While I found his speech to be a tad political, I have to say.... he spoke off the cuff, with no prepared notes... brave and naive thing at that kind of event. But... what he did on Saturday was seriously impressive.

Even more impressive was that older woman who actually grabbed Loughner's clip out of his hand as he tried to reload.... that takes some BIG courage too.
Yes it does...they all deserve the presidential medal of honor, or whatever it is that civilians receive.

I believe his name was David Hernandez. Yes, he was great! He and the statement that Gabby had opened her eyus were definitely the high points.

During the evening, I thought the college should add a class to their curriculum , THe Appropriate Mood and Actions for a Memorial." Thought through the hoots, screams ands hollars that I was was watching a basketball game at times.

I often thought of the victims families wondering if they would rather be in church.

I visit several blogs routinely during the day, and among those I visit, I've seen every kind of reaction to the speech...Michelle Malkin suggests that it was the "right speech, too late, boneheaded venue". Over at Jawa, Good Lt. is taken a-back by the "branding" of the event, and its "campaign rally" environment. Over at HotAir, Allahpundit notes that Obama did an excellent job, better than he'd hoped, but, we should enjoy it now, before the media spins a the new but very predictable "Obama's back!" narrative out of it.

For a text of the actual speech, go here.

I would guess I fall somewhere in between all three of those reactions. I would have to agree with Good Lt. at Jawa...I think the "branding" was rather tasteless, whether done by the University or the White House, or both together. And, although I do think, after watching a few of the video clips, the oddly-placed/oddly-timed "whoots" and "hollars" from the audience were a bit uncomfortable in certain spots, I would have to agree with Erick Erickson over at RedState, that it was a celebration of life and exactly what was needed after so much sadness. We must remember that sometimes, people grieve in the strangest of ways, and I think this was probably a factor as well.

All in all, I think the President's speech was a good one. It struck the right tone, at the right time, although I wish he would've said something sooner, in an attempt to quash the insinuations of blame, from BOTH sides of the aisle. But, all in all, if the memorial helped one grieving family member or friend deal with their hurt and heartache, that is a good thing.

It is a sad irony though, that after many in the media (and the minions who follow along lock-step) went to great lengths to insert Sarah Palin into the long, twisted litany of those who should supposedly be blamed, we now get word that she is getting death threats at unprecedented levels. Many of those who supposedly would like nothing more than for her to just disappear into the background, also apparently want her dead.

My my...An awful lot of little potential "Loughner's" out there, from the sounds of it....ay?

I think Allahpundit at HotAir says it best here:
Now, let’s see tomorrow how the media and the left react to this story. There’ll be three responses, I assume. One: “Hey, maybe we should tone down the rhetoric on Palin before she gets shot.” If so much as one person offers that, consider it a victory. Two: “I condemn the threats, but we can’t be held responsible for the actions of crazies.” That’s actually the right answer, I think, or at least it would be if they’d been criticizing her for something she’d actually done. Having invented the Loughner connection out of thin air, though? Nope. Three: “She’s lying, either to turn down the heat on herself and earn sympathy or because she enjoys the media spotlight.”

Mind you, there’s actual documentary evidence of some of the threats, but this will be the default explanation anyway thanks to the magical civility gene that makes liberals who are mentally ill somehow utterly immune to the worst rhetorical excesses.

Might I suggest something to those who would make death threats against ANYONE for political reasons, let alone Sarah Palin? Allow me: -- Do the world a favor you friggin' butt-munches: Read the President's speech. Listen to his words.

I did not watch the Original viewing, I did catch enough of it later to give it a thumb's up. I can only take him in small doses. This was a good dose. ;) What I saw of it.... Well done.

Might I suggest something to those who would make death threats against ANYONE for political reasons, let alone Sarah Palin? Allow me: --Do the world a favor you friggin' butt-munches: Read the President's speech. Listen to his words.

I commend you for this , except the red part.

I believe his name was David Hernandez. Yes, he was great! He and the statement that Gabby had opened her eyus were definitely the high points.

During the evening, I thought the college should add a class to their curriculum , THe Appropriate Mood and Actions for a Memorial." Thought through the hoots, screams ands hollars that I was was watching a basketball game at times.

I often thought of the victims families wondering if they would rather be in church.
Again, the people of Tucson are traumatized. There is no reason to criticize their emotional state.

Speech was well presented. Great content. Seemed from his heart. Offered a genuine feeling of comofort to me and my wife.
The audience were students on the most part and THEY were the ones who made it seem more like a ralley.
At the right time, our President kept things somber and at the right time he recognized the need to use the moment to raise the tempo of future hope capitalizing on the ralley attitude of the younger attendees.

I offer no criticism and to the contrary I was very impressed with his leadership as a head of state.

He made some major strides in my book. All I ask is that he keep it up and not let the likes of Pelosi, Reid and Boehner bring him back down.

Agreed.

I also partially didn't watch because I knew, at moments, it would be quite emotional.
And although I'm not "allergic" to that kind of thing, I had to focus on the pups at the time.

Like a May Day rally?

sukarno.jpg

Speech was well presented. Great content. Seemed from his heart. Offered a genuine feeling of comofort to me and my wife.
The audience were students on the most part and THEY were the ones who made it seem more like a ralley.
At the right time, our President kept things somber and at the right time he recognized the need to use the moment to raise the tempo of future hope capitalizing on the ralley attitude of the younger attendees.

I offer no criticism and to the contrary I was very impressed with his leadership as a head of state.

He made some major strides in my book. All I ask is that he keep it up and not let the likes of Pelosi, Reid and Boehner bring him back down.

I agree with you. I should have mentioned I thought the president was surprised by the student's behavior and he handled it well. I also agree with your last statement! lol.

I agree with you. I should have mentioned I thought the president was surprised by the student's behavior and he handled it well. I also agree with your last statement! lol.

In the clips I've seen, I would agree that he (obama) seemed a bit shocked at the student's behavior, but handled it well.

In a situation like that, one can never know how a crowd will react.
Kinda like when the memorial was held at Yankee stadium, after 9/11. I saw lots of different reactions in the crowd, watching that on tv.

Last edited:

He was most definitely shocked by the 'rally' type atmosphere when he walked in. I thought he did well to adapt to it quickly and professionally.

It is a time for leadership and he demonstrated the quality well.

He was most definitely shocked by the 'rally' type atmosphere when he walked in. I thought he did well to adapt to it quickly and professionally.

It is a time for leadership and he demonstrated the quality well.

As head of government? Not thrilled with him.
As head of State?
Starting to show some greatness.

No one?
Seriously?
Ok...I'll ask one more time:

How do the left-of-center folks on the forum feel about Sarah Palin getting death threats?

Forum List

Back