Obama's Arizona memorial speech....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Talismen, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Talismen

Talismen Lady Templar & Kafir

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I didn't watch it. I was busy dog-sitting :D

I visit several blogs routinely during the day, and among those I visit, I've seen every kind of reaction to the speech...Michelle Malkin suggests that it was the "right speech, too late, boneheaded venue". Over at Jawa, Good Lt. is taken a-back by the "branding" of the event, and its "campaign rally" environment. Over at HotAir, Allahpundit notes that Obama did an excellent job, better than he'd hoped, but, we should enjoy it now, before the media spins a the new but very predictable "Obama's back!" narrative out of it.

For a text of the actual speech, go here.

I would guess I fall somewhere in between all three of those reactions. I would have to agree with Good Lt. at Jawa...I think the "branding" was rather tasteless, whether done by the University or the White House, or both together. And, although I do think, after watching a few of the video clips, the oddly-placed/oddly-timed "whoots" and "hollars" from the audience were a bit uncomfortable in certain spots, I would have to agree with Erick Erickson over at RedState, that it was a celebration of life and exactly what was needed after so much sadness. We must remember that sometimes, people grieve in the strangest of ways, and I think this was probably a factor as well.

All in all, I think the President's speech was a good one. It struck the right tone, at the right time, although I wish he would've said something sooner, in an attempt to quash the insinuations of blame, from BOTH sides of the aisle. But, all in all, if the memorial helped one grieving family member or friend deal with their hurt and heartache, that is a good thing.

It is a sad irony though, that after many in the media (and the minions who follow along lock-step) went to great lengths to insert Sarah Palin into the long, twisted litany of those who should supposedly be blamed, we now get word that she is getting death threats at unprecedented levels. Many of those who supposedly would like nothing more than for her to just disappear into the background, also apparently want her dead.

My my...An awful lot of little potential "Loughner's" out there, from the sounds of it....ay?

I think Allahpundit at HotAir says it best here:

Might I suggest something to those who would make death threats against ANYONE for political reasons, let alone Sarah Palin? Allow me: -- Do the world a favor you friggin' butt-munches: Read the President's speech. Listen to his words.

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Yes, I suppose Obama's presence kept you from watching a memorial for your fellow Americans.

Too bad, seeing the heroic intern made my evening.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    While I found his speech to be a tad political, I have to say.... he spoke off the cuff, with no prepared notes... brave and naive thing at that kind of event. But... what he did on Saturday was seriously impressive.

Even more impressive was that older woman who actually grabbed Loughner's clip out of his hand as he tried to reload.... that takes some BIG courage too.

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Yes it does...they all deserve the presidential medal of honor, or whatever it is that civilians receive.

5. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,678
    I believe his name was David Hernandez. Yes, he was great! He and the statement that Gabby had opened her eyus were definitely the high points.

During the evening, I thought the college should add a class to their curriculum , THe Appropriate Mood and Actions for a Memorial." Thought through the hoots, screams ands hollars that I was was watching a basketball game at times.

I often thought of the victims families wondering if they would rather be in church.

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I did not watch the Original viewing, I did catch enough of it later to give it a thumb's up. I can only take him in small doses. This was a good dose. ;) What I saw of it.... Well done.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Might I suggest something to those who would make death threats against ANYONE for political reasons, let alone Sarah Palin? Allow me: --Do the world a favor you friggin' butt-munches: Read the President's speech. Listen to his words.

I commend you for this , except the red part.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Again, the people of Tucson are traumatized. There is no reason to criticize their emotional state.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Speech was well presented. Great content. Seemed from his heart. Offered a genuine feeling of comofort to me and my wife.
    The audience were students on the most part and THEY were the ones who made it seem more like a ralley.
    At the right time, our President kept things somber and at the right time he recognized the need to use the moment to raise the tempo of future hope capitalizing on the ralley attitude of the younger attendees.

I offer no criticism and to the contrary I was very impressed with his leadership as a head of state.

He made some major strides in my book. All I ask is that he keep it up and not let the likes of Pelosi, Reid and Boehner bring him back down.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Talismen

Talismen Lady Templar & Kafir

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Agreed.

I also partially didn't watch because I knew, at moments, it would be quite emotional.
    And although I'm not "allergic" to that kind of thing, I had to focus on the pups at the time.