Obama's Approval Rating Higher Than Reagans? Who Knew?

As much as I love the Ragin' Cajun, I'm gonna have to disagree here.

I love him too. Actually thought he should have been the DNC Chairman.

I know it's too early. I think he just meant the article as a reminder that the loons who are enjoying posting the daily tracking polls shouldn't be doing the happy dance yet.

On the other hand, I said that after the Repub convention, too, when they were all shrieking that Sarah Palin was the key to their victory.

And yes, it can all change on a dime. But I'd prefer they not change in the same manner Bush's did.

An interesting perspective from the always interesting ragin' cajun.... James Carville.

There are 14 months to go before a majority of Americans go to the ballot box again. Frequent comparisons are being made to the 1994 Clinton healthcare debacle and the ensuing Newt Gingrich-led Republican wave at that year’s midterms, of which I had a front-row view. But it is rarely noted that unlike then, there is plenty of time between now and the 2010 midterm elections

Historically, the first midterm election has usually been bad for a president’s party, often the result of giving back seats won on the president’s coat-tails. According to the latest Gallup poll, Mr Obama’s net approval rating (53 per cent approve, 40 per cent disapprove) is far more promising than Bill Clinton’s in 1994 (45 per cent approval, 46 per cent disapproval) and Ronald Reagan’s in 1982 (42 per cent approval, 47 per cent disapproval).

Much of the Republican hopes are pinned on Democrats’ economic policies failing over the course of the next year. The reputation of congressional Republicans is staked on the economy not getting better under President Obama. Democrats’ archives are full of Republicans promising Americans that Democrat policies won’t work. They offered meaningless alternatives and vehemently opposed each and every measure the economists and budget experts came up with.

If there is some improvement in job growth next year, Democrats will make the case down the home stretch that they not only staved off a major economic calamity inherited from a disastrous Republican administration but also managed to make progress despite unrelenting opposition.

The problem with Republicans, is that, as Ray Charles might have said, they are Republicans. In spite of all these Democratic troubles, the Republicans are held in lower esteem than they were in November 2006 (37 per cent warm, or favourable, against 48 per cent cool) or in November last year (37 per cent warm against 45 per cent cool). There’s been no improvement from elections in which they got clobbered. Our recent Democracy Corps polling showed the Republicans with a 32 per cent warm, 44 per cent cool rating. Sure, the right-wing Republican base is energised – with the “birthers”, tea parties, and town halls as proof – but they have to sustain their agitation, anger and general nuttiness for 14 more months. In elections, you don’t play against yourself; you have an opponent. Luckily, the Democrats are up against a still very unpopular Republican party.

FT.com / Comment / Opinion - Obama can avoid midterm blues

eh, too early.

And Carville is comparing Obama to 2 presidents who left office on a high approval rating, saying that Obama's approval is higher than theirs was at the same point. I think I need to remind Mr Carville that Bush had, by this time next week, the highest approval rating ever for a president....and then left office with the lowest.

I agree...too early.

BUT...if the economy does turn around (and there are improvements right now), all the Dems have to do is create commercials showing the Right Wing in all their nuttiness and tack that onto the Republicans (fair or not). Then the RNC is toast for an even longer time.

The difference is, Reagan was elected to a second term. Obama won't be!
After all, Reagan was our greatest president. Obama is an idiot!
Imagine that, a sitting president appointing a self avowed anti-american communist pig to his administration. Absolutely dispicable!..A blatant slap in the face to all who have shed blood or died fighting the scurge that is communism. But we shouldn't be surprised. After all, he launched his political career in the home of an anti-american scumbag who blatantly sought to MURDER our fellow citizens!

In order for Obama to not be elected to a 2nd term, the Republicans have to run someone who can beat him.

Who do they have right now? Any suggestions?

BTW...Reagan "I don't recall"....the greatest president? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol::lol::lol:

An interesting perspective from the always interesting ragin' cajun.... James Carville.

FT.com / Comment / Opinion - Obama can avoid midterm blues

eh, too early.

And Carville is comparing Obama to 2 presidents who left office on a high approval rating, saying that Obama's approval is higher than theirs was at the same point. I think I need to remind Mr Carville that Bush had, by this time next week, the highest approval rating ever for a president....and then left office with the lowest.

I agree...too early.

BUT...if the economy does turn around (and there are improvements right now), all the Dems have to do is create commercials showing the Right Wing in all their nuttiness and tack that onto the Republicans (fair or not). Then the RNC is toast for an even longer time.

and if a rich uncle dies and leaves me everything in his will....

not saying it won't happen, just that it's not even as simple as the economy turning around. people have notoriously short memories. it's like the old janet jackson song...'what have you done for me lately'.

eh, too early.

I agree...too early.

and if a rich uncle dies and leaves me everything in his will....

not saying it won't happen, just that it's not even as simple as the economy turning around. people have notoriously short memories. it's like the old janet jackson song...'what have you done for me lately'.

Totally agree. But memories can be very easily brought back by well placed commercials. Here in CA, that commercial of Mayor Newsome talking about gay marriage being replayed in part really sunk us.

As much as I love the Ragin' Cajun, I'm gonna have to disagree here.

I love him too. Actually thought he should have been the DNC Chairman.

I know it's too early. I think he just meant the article as a reminder that the loons who are enjoying posting the daily tracking polls shouldn't be doing the happy dance yet.

On the other hand, I said that after the Repub convention, too, when they were all shrieking that Sarah Palin was the key to their victory.

And yes, it can all change on a dime. But I'd prefer they not change in the same manner Bush's did.

I certainly agree on that - there's nothing more annoying to me than the constant yammering about the daily tracking polls and generic congressional ballots - none of them mean anything.

And no one wants Obama's approval ratings to go up for the same reason Bush's did.....

Imagine that, a sitting president appointing a self avowed anti-american communist pig to his administration. Absolutely dispicable!..A blatant slap in the face to all who have shed blood or died fighting the scurge that is communism. But we shouldn't be surprised. After all, he launched his political career in the home of an anti-american scumbag who blatantly sought to MURDER our fellow citizens!

but you are good with trading arms for hostages right?

And cut and running out of Lebanon when over 200 Marines are killed without even a chance to defend themselves, right?

And a blanket amnesty for Illegal Aliens, right?

Rasmussen daily presidential poll, 9/10/09.
Obama job performance:
33% strongly approve
41% strongly disapprove
Approval index rating -8
Healthcare reform as laid out by Obama last night:
44% favor
53% oppose
Overall performance rating:
48% strongly approve
51% strongly disapprove
OUCH!
REALITY BITES ONCE AGAIN!
LMAO!

Obama job performance:
33% strongly approve
41% strongly disapprove
Approval index rating -8
44% favor
53% oppose
48% strongly approve
51% strongly disapprove
OUCH!
LMAO!

My goodness! Whatever will we do? What with the election tomorrow and all! Oh the Humanity!!!!! :eek:

Obama job performance:
33% strongly approve
41% strongly disapprove
Approval index rating -8
44% favor
53% oppose
48% strongly approve
51% strongly disapprove
OUCH!
LMAO!

Just because you keep repeating it, doesn't make it any more relevant. Repeat after me:

The election is in 3 years.

And cut and running out of Lebanon when over 200 Marines are killed without even a chance to defend themselves, right?

would you have prefered he attack lebanon....

would you have prefered he arrest all the illegals and deport them....

This Jillian clown just loves to give me negative reps.
Like I told ya' before, ya' loony liberal wench and bull dyke, I WEAR YOUR NEGATIVE REPS LIKE A BADGE OF HONOR!
As I also said, you're not very bright but, you are fun to laugh at!

Last edited:
Like I told ya' before, ya' loony liberal wench and bull dyke, I WEAR YOUR NEGATIVE REPS LIKE A BADGE OF HONOR!

you forgot the part where you negged me first. and the part where i'm not any of those things. but you're nuts, so we can't expect you to be rational in your statements.

you're also not very bright.

you forgot the part where you negged me first. and the part where i'm not any of those things. but you're nuts, so we can't expect you to be rational in your statements.

I'm retired at 45 years of age. Multi-millionaire. Yeah, i'm not very bright alright!
LMAO!

I'm retired at 45 years of age. Multi-millionaire. Yeah, i'm not very bright alright!
LMAO!

sure y'are... :cuckoo:

LMAO!

sure y'are... :cuckoo:
No seriously. I was executive chef and owner of two very successful fine dining establishments. One in the Santa Barbara/Montecito area of So. Cal, the other in Vegas. Just sold the Santa Barbara establishment to the the Puck corporation for money that was beyond my wildest dreams. Still o0wn the controlling interest on the place in Vegas. Basically, I just sit back and collect a check every month while others do the work. Ain't capitalism a wonderful thing?
Oh, and stop with your lies. YOU dinged me first. Go check your user CP. The proof is all there.

you're on my page once... might have got you once before, but not recently

you dinged me .. amazingly, i didn't whine about it.

you got dinged back...

twice.

or you could try having a civil conversation ... your call.

would you have prefered he attack lebanon....

It was not Lebanon that attacked us. But he sure taught OBL a lesson about Americans cut n' run, didn't he?

would you have prefered he arrest all the illegals and deport them....

Well, I sure as heck wouldn't make them ALL legal as if that did anything but draw more here.

But, what do we do now...make them all legal again? Like Bush suggested. Hell NO!

Forum List

Back