Obama's 'Apology Tour' Not True

When prisoner abuse did take place, an apology was IN ORDER, you dope.

And deliberately desecrating the Qur'an IS worthy of an apology, you dolt.

Those things HAPPENED. For discreet, identifiable and unacceptable behavior, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging reality and owning up for it.

This is NOT what President Obama was doing. And you know it.

What was Obama doing and can you provide links to it?

Those things HAPPENED. For discreet, identifiable and unacceptable behavior, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging reality and owning up for it.

What was Obama doing and can you provide links to it?

Already did, dopey.

Do try to keep up. It will make you appear less obtuse, stupid and dishonest.

The Fact Checker senses a campaign theme emerging: Obama the apologizer.

The claim that Obama is an apologist for America actually began to take shape shortly after he became president. It had been bubbling in the conservative blogs before Karl Rove published an article titled "The President's Apology Tour" in the Wall Street Journal on April 23, 2009.

By June, the conservative Heritage Foundation began running a list: "Barack Obama's Top 10 Apologies: How the President Has Humiliated a Superpower."

Most of the criticism stems from a series of speeches that Obama made shortly after taking office, when he was trying to introduce himself to the world and also signify a break with the Bush administration with new policies.

This is typical of many new presidents. George W. Bush, for instance, quickly broke with Clinton administration policy on dealings with North Korea, the Kyoto climate change treaty and the international criminal court, to name a few.

Obama told the Turkish parliament, in which he was trying to urge that country to come to terms with its tragic history with the Armenians: "The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. Facing the Washington Monument that I spoke of is a memorial of Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed those who were enslaved even after Washington led our Revolution."

But compare what Obama said to what George W. Bush said at Senegal's Goree Island in 2003. Bush called the U.S. constitution flawed and said that America is still troubled by the legacy of slavery. This does not seem like an apology, either -- but it is even more sharply framed than Obama's comments.

Why would Obama's comment on slavery be considered an apology and not Bush's?

The Pinocchio Test

The claim that Obama repeatedly has apologized for the United States is not borne out by the facts, especially if his full quotes are viewed in context.

Obama often was trying to draw a rhetorical distinction between his policies and that of President Bush, a common practice when the presidency changes parties. The shift in policies, in fact, might have been more dramatic from Clinton to Bush than from Bush to Obama, given how Obama has largely maintained Bush's approach to fighting terrorism.

In other cases, Obama's quotes have been selectively trimmed for political purposes. Or they were not much different than sentiments expressed by Bush or his secretary of state. Republicans may certainly disagree with Obama's handling of foreign policy or particular policies he has pursued, but they should not invent a storyline that does not appear to exist. [/COLOR]

Note to GOP speechwriters and campaign ad makers: The apology tour never happened.

Fact Checker - Obama's 'Apology Tour'

The fact that Obama never ‘apologized’ comes as no surprise, of course, as most conservatives are comfortable spreading lies about the president, a consequence of their complete lack of policy alternatives – they have nothing constructive to contribute.

It isn't a fact. It's a claim and it's false.

He did, as I showed above.

Denying the truth won't salvage your imbecile position, Adam_Clayton.

The claim got 4 Pinnochios. :laugh2:

Last edited:

You have the nerve to call me a dope?? What you posted is such bullshit. The prez has been criticized for apologizing, period!!! None of you ever claimed that what he was apologizing for was what you had a problem with. And it's just as I thought. It's okay for Bush to apologize but not Obama.

And another thing. Would you agree that you will never be objective about anything he does?? Yet you want me to believe that you can objectively judge him on when it is appropriate for him to apologize and when it's not?? Yeah, right.

Lastly, I know you hate to hear this. But President Obama is an extremely intelligent man. He is not George Bush or Mitt Romney, okay?? I trust his judgment that he knows when it would be appropriate to apologize. Maybe if the right wing were not so full of hate they would realize that.

By the way, you used to be nicer.

Forum List

Back