Obamaland - The Way It Really Is

But wait! Stop the presses!

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy will continue to contract “for some time to come,” said Lawrence Summers, director of the White House National Economic Council.

“I expect the economy will continue to decline,” with “sharp declines in employment for quite some time this year,” Summers said today on “Fox News Sunday.”

Summers Says U.S. Economy to Decline ‘For Some Time’ (Update3) - Bloomberg.com
-----

Looks BO and his people aren't talking to each other.

Now there is a shock.

This is just a small excerpt. You should read the whole article.

-----
Across the dark living room, one of Childs's favorite pictures is displayed on a worn coffee table. It shows Childs with her arms wrapped around Barack Obama, his hand on her back, her eyes glowing. They met at a rally attended by 37 supporters on a rainy day in 2007, when Childs responded to Obama's sluggishness on stage with an impromptu chant: "Fired up! Ready to go!" She repeated it, shouting louder each time, until Obama laughed and dipped his shoulders to the rhythm. The chant caught on. "Fired up!" people began saying at rallies. "Ready to go," Obama chanted back. He told audiences about Childs, "a spirited little lady," and invited her onstage at campaign appearances. By the day of his inauguration, when Childs led a busload of strangers bound for the Mall in her now-iconic chant, her transformation was complete. She was Edith Childs, fired up and ready to go.

But now, as Obama nears the 100-day milestone of his presidency, Childs suffers from constant exhaustion. In a conservative Southern state that bolstered Obama's candidacy by supporting him early in the Democratic primaries, she awakens at 2:30 a.m. with stress headaches and remains awake mulling all that's befallen Greenwood since Obama's swearing-in.

On Day 4 of his presidency, the Solutia textile plant laid off 101 workers. On Day 23, the food bank set a record for meals served. On Day 50, the hospital fired 200 employees and warned of further job cuts. On Day 71, the school superintendent called a staff meeting and told his principals: "We're losing 10 percent of our budget. That means some of us won't have jobs next year, and the rest should expect job changes and pay cuts." On Day 78, the town's newly elected Democratic mayor, whose campaign was inspired partly by his admiration for Obama, summarized Greenwood's accelerating fragility. "This is crippling us, and there's no sign of it turning around," Welborn Adams said.

On Day 88, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics announced that South Carolina had set a record for its highest unemployment rate in state history, at 11.4 percent. Greenwood's unemployment is 13 percent -- more than twice what it was when Childs first started chanting.

"We have a lot of people who live in cold houses, with no jobs and no food," Childs says.

washingtonpost.com

Wow - tough column!

As the economy shuffles slowly toward recovery, the media will inflate said recovery to take the pressure off of stories such as this.

What I know to be clear is this - if our current DC leadership would have enected far more pro-business growth/incentives, this economy would already be moving far more quickly toward recovery, and the current job losses and overal business contraction would be much less.

What we are instead seeing is an ever expanding government - therein we find job growth, while the private sector continues to be hammered upon. Inevitably this will result in a potentially disastrous economic tipping point that will make the current recession appear minor.

The 2010 elections will play such a critical role in this potential outcome - either we vote in a stop-gap against the the modern Democrat agenda, or the philosophy of continued government expansion, debt, and social engineering will be how the majority of the first half of the American 21st Century will be remembered.

Exactly, well said.

hey i got my 15 bucks a week.....i am happy....maybe i can retire ....oh wait the State of California is holding out its hand....doubled car registration,raised sales tax on just about everything.....sorry they said but WE need that money more than you.....you see we fucked up,and well you are going to bale us out again.....sorry.....

You need to tell that bitch up in Sacramento to knock it the hell off.. and no I'm not talking about Pelosi either! :lol:

hey i got my 15 bucks a week.....i am happy....maybe i can retire ....oh wait the State of California is holding out its hand....doubled car registration,raised sales tax on just about everything.....sorry they said but WE need that money more than you.....you see we fucked up,and well you are going to bale us out again.....sorry.....

You need to tell that bitch up in Sacramento to knock it the hell off.. and no I'm not talking about Pelosi either! :lol:

If the entire nation wishes to see the results of a Democrat-style economy, they need only look to California. It leads in the nanny-state mentality, and is on-its-ass broke.

PS - If any of you try to point out that Ah-nold is a Republican...he is even less a Republican than McCain, so just snip that one in the bud, m-kay?

It is a pity about California, because geographically, I absolutely love it. Beautiful coast, wine country, wonderful climate...but man its government has been messed up for years.

That's what's killing me about the government throwing buckets of money to where? I know IL has already collected tons, but not a thing has started. Want to know what happens to $$ in IL, most of which go to Chicago? Black hole. Then Murtha with his airport to no-where. Guess who's job it is to make sure these tons of money go where needed?

It's also a story that pisses me off at so many conservatives that pretend that blacks and others don't want to work-most do. This woman, bad though her political choice was, is a person I wish was my neighbor. I can understand her frustration at the tea party, as she heard/saw what was anti-Obama. My guess was she was not ready to see that most were upset at the same things she was. In fact, perhaps because they were white, she even recounted people saying the same things as she, about unemployment, wanting work, inability to pay bills, etc.

Damn, I'm depressed.

What's every bit as perplexing is where the money is going to come from to pay back the money that went down the black hole... :eusa_eh:

If the entire nation wishes to see the results of a Democrat-style economy, they need only look to California. It leads in the nanny-state mentality, and is on-its-ass broke.

PS - If any of you try to point out that Ah-nold is a Republican...he is even less a Republican than McCain, so just snip that one in the bud, m-kay?

It is a pity about California, because geographically, I absolutely love it. Beautiful coast, wine country, wonderful climate...but man its government has been messed up for years.

That's *KULLY*fornia pard... according to the pronunciation of it's governator... you know... an American?

That's *KULLY*fornia pard... according to the pronunciation of it's governator... you know... an American?

You mean this guy?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOL5wg-8q5Y[/ame]

Anyone who can't run a business in this country and blames it on Obama, Democrats, regulations or taxes should find another line of work. Only bad business-people are bad for business.

Stop whining and start working harder, volunteering, be more inventive/innovative (that means don't be satisfied with the way YOU think things should be run).

Before Obama, we had a failed businessman running the country for eight years. He couldn't succeed at anything and got to the White House on the Bush legacy and Karl Rove's phony ShamWow hucksterism. That ought to tell you something.

From the looks of the posts here, Obama can't do anything to appease the people whose attitudes and lifestyles and practices got us into this mess.

Anyone who can't run a business in this country and blames it on Obama, Democrats, regulations or taxes should find another line of work. Only bad business-people are bad for business.

Stop whining and start working harder, volunteering, be more inventive/innovative (that means don't be satisfied with the way YOU think things should be run).

Before Obama, we had a failed businessman running the country for eight years. He couldn't succeed at anything and got to the White House on the Bush legacy and Karl Rove's phony ShamWow hucksterism. That ought to tell you something.

From the looks of the posts here, Obama can't do anything to appease the people whose attitudes and lifestyles and practices got us into this mess.

homo says what?...

You mean this guy?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOL5wg-8q5Y[/ame]

aw man....are you guys going to start bashing Cali now?.....come on we were the best for a long time....now we are just letting some other state be no.1......we just wanna kick back for awhile....we had this planned.....my state is just on vacation,we will come back around Oct......:doubt:

On March 25, he said, "we’re beginning to see signs of progress.”

Three months and five days.

But...where's the progress?

You'd have to give me a cite to the text of his speech for me to be able to discern what he was talking about.

Christ you're such an apologist, he said flat out "it's obvious, the stimulus plan is working" as soon as dow jumps up a few hundred points.

Well excuuuuuuse me for not having all of Obama's statements memorized.

But since you brought it, do you have a cite to where Obama actually said flat out "it's obvious, the stimulus plan is working"? Or did you just pull that out of your ass and fabricate it? Or I guess I'm just an "apologist" if I don't accept your say-so without question?

Last edited:
On March 25, he said, "we’re beginning to see signs of progress.”

Three months and five days.

But...where's the progress?

You'd have to give me a cite to the text of his speech for me to be able to discern what he was talking about.

Barack Obama said there were early “signs of progress” in efforts to stabilise the economy as the president promoted his recovery plans in a primetime televised press conference on Tuesday evening.

FT.com / US / Politics & Foreign policy - Obama touts signs of economic progress

So in answer to your question, the "signs of progress" Obama was talking about was the uptick in the stock market and tentative signs that the housing market could be stabilising.

But he also said: there was “no quick fix, no silver bullet” to end the crisis.

So I reiterate, if you expected a turnaround in 3 months you were misinformed.

And a good example of a Republican style economy would be what, Mississippi? Alabama?

Barack Obama said there were early “signs of progress” in efforts to stabilise the economy as the president promoted his recovery plans in a primetime televised press conference on Tuesday evening.

FT.com / US / Politics & Foreign policy - Obama touts signs of economic progress

So in answer to your question, the "signs of progress" Obama was talking about was the uptick in the stock market and tentative signs that the housing market could be stabilising.

April 16, 2009

construction gave economists hope that the housing sector was on the mend, the Commerce Department announced that construction of new homes and apartments dropped 10.8 percent last month to the second lowest pace since the government began keeping records in 1959.

Applications for building permits, a sign of future demand, also fell 9 percent.

The drop in construction in March followed a 17.2 percent surge in February, an unexpected gain driven largely by the construction of new homes and apartments.

Meanwhile, the number of U.S. households that received at least one foreclosure notice between January and March grew to 804,000, a spike of 24 percent over the first quarter of 2008. More than 340,000 foreclosure filings took place in March alone, a 46 percent jump from the same time a year ago. Nevada, Arizona, and California were the hardest hit in the country. Along with Illinois and Florida, they account for nearly 60 percent of U.S. foreclosure activity.

Housing Market Continues to Stumble | Online NewsHour | April 16, 2009 | PBS
-----

He spoke too soon. As usual.

He leads us all to think that things are better. Then the truth comes out.

He would be better off keeping his mouth shut. But then again, that isn't his style.

He really believes if you keep telling people the same thing over and over again, they will start to believe it.

Forum List

Back