Obamaland - The Way It Really Is

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
This is just a small excerpt. You should read the whole article.

-----
Across the dark living room, one of Childs's favorite pictures is displayed on a worn coffee table. It shows Childs with her arms wrapped around Barack Obama, his hand on her back, her eyes glowing. They met at a rally attended by 37 supporters on a rainy day in 2007, when Childs responded to Obama's sluggishness on stage with an impromptu chant: "Fired up! Ready to go!" She repeated it, shouting louder each time, until Obama laughed and dipped his shoulders to the rhythm. The chant caught on. "Fired up!" people began saying at rallies. "Ready to go," Obama chanted back. He told audiences about Childs, "a spirited little lady," and invited her onstage at campaign appearances. By the day of his inauguration, when Childs led a busload of strangers bound for the Mall in her now-iconic chant, her transformation was complete. She was Edith Childs, fired up and ready to go.

But now, as Obama nears the 100-day milestone of his presidency, Childs suffers from constant exhaustion. In a conservative Southern state that bolstered Obama's candidacy by supporting him early in the Democratic primaries, she awakens at 2:30 a.m. with stress headaches and remains awake mulling all that's befallen Greenwood since Obama's swearing-in.

On Day 4 of his presidency, the Solutia textile plant laid off 101 workers. On Day 23, the food bank set a record for meals served. On Day 50, the hospital fired 200 employees and warned of further job cuts. On Day 71, the school superintendent called a staff meeting and told his principals: "We're losing 10 percent of our budget. That means some of us won't have jobs next year, and the rest should expect job changes and pay cuts." On Day 78, the town's newly elected Democratic mayor, whose campaign was inspired partly by his admiration for Obama, summarized Greenwood's accelerating fragility. "This is crippling us, and there's no sign of it turning around," Welborn Adams said.

On Day 88, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics announced that South Carolina had set a record for its highest unemployment rate in state history, at 11.4 percent. Greenwood's unemployment is 13 percent -- more than twice what it was when Childs first started chanting.

"We have a lot of people who live in cold houses, with no jobs and no food," Childs says.

washingtonpost.com

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This is just a small excerpt. You should read the whole article.

-----
Across the dark living room, one of Childs's favorite pictures is displayed on a worn coffee table. It shows Childs with her arms wrapped around Barack Obama, his hand on her back, her eyes glowing. They met at a rally attended by 37 supporters on a rainy day in 2007, when Childs responded to Obama's sluggishness on stage with an impromptu chant: "Fired up! Ready to go!" She repeated it, shouting louder each time, until Obama laughed and dipped his shoulders to the rhythm. The chant caught on. "Fired up!" people began saying at rallies. "Ready to go," Obama chanted back. He told audiences about Childs, "a spirited little lady," and invited her onstage at campaign appearances. By the day of his inauguration, when Childs led a busload of strangers bound for the Mall in her now-iconic chant, her transformation was complete. She was Edith Childs, fired up and ready to go.

But now, as Obama nears the 100-day milestone of his presidency, Childs suffers from constant exhaustion. In a conservative Southern state that bolstered Obama's candidacy by supporting him early in the Democratic primaries, she awakens at 2:30 a.m. with stress headaches and remains awake mulling all that's befallen Greenwood since Obama's swearing-in.

On Day 4 of his presidency, the Solutia textile plant laid off 101 workers. On Day 23, the food bank set a record for meals served. On Day 50, the hospital fired 200 employees and warned of further job cuts. On Day 71, the school superintendent called a staff meeting and told his principals: "We're losing 10 percent of our budget. That means some of us won't have jobs next year, and the rest should expect job changes and pay cuts." On Day 78, the town's newly elected Democratic mayor, whose campaign was inspired partly by his admiration for Obama, summarized Greenwood's accelerating fragility. "This is crippling us, and there's no sign of it turning around," Welborn Adams said.

On Day 88, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics announced that South Carolina had set a record for its highest unemployment rate in state history, at 11.4 percent. Greenwood's unemployment is 13 percent -- more than twice what it was when Childs first started chanting.

"We have a lot of people who live in cold houses, with no jobs and no food," Childs says.

washingtonpost.com

Wow - tough column!

As the economy shuffles slowly toward recovery, the media will inflate said recovery to take the pressure off of stories such as this.

What I know to be clear is this - if our current DC leadership would have enected far more pro-business growth/incentives, this economy would already be moving far more quickly toward recovery, and the current job losses and overal business contraction would be much less.

What we are instead seeing is an ever expanding government - therein we find job growth, while the private sector continues to be hammered upon. Inevitably this will result in a potentially disastrous economic tipping point that will make the current recession appear minor.

The 2010 elections will play such a critical role in this potential outcome - either we vote in a stop-gap against the the modern Democrat agenda, or the philosophy of continued government expansion, debt, and social engineering will be how the majority of the first half of the American 21st Century will be remembered.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Too bad she couldn't apply for a government job. I hear they are hiring.

I think the only ones that are hiring are the government, because I see no private industry or small business's hiring. Could it be that this massive stimulus bill that was filled with pork isn't working??? Oh, now, Obama cares about us little people and he will make everything right, won't he????

The only way to stimulate the economy is to let those of us that work keep more of our own money so we can spend, save and invest which creates jobs for people because we purchase the goods, products and services from these people which creates demand which forces business's to expand and hire even more people. ECON 101 but for some unknown reason this is so hard for all those smart people in Washington to wrap their minds around.:cuckoo:

That's what's killing me about the government throwing buckets of money to where? I know IL has already collected tons, but not a thing has started. Want to know what happens to $$ in IL, most of which go to Chicago? Black hole. Then Murtha with his airport to no-where. Guess who's job it is to make sure these tons of money go where needed?

It's also a story that pisses me off at so many conservatives that pretend that blacks and others don't want to work-most do. This woman, bad though her political choice was, is a person I wish was my neighbor. I can understand her frustration at the tea party, as she heard/saw what was anti-Obama. My guess was she was not ready to see that most were upset at the same things she was. In fact, perhaps because they were white, she even recounted people saying the same things as she, about unemployment, wanting work, inability to pay bills, etc.

Damn, I'm depressed.

And yet, here we have another thread where we won't see a single Obamatron post.

Her, along with many others, simply believed what he said.

Sad thing is, now they see that he is no different than any other politician; say whatever you have to in order to get elected.

I think the only ones that are hiring are the government, because I see no private industry or small business's hiring. Could it be that this massive stimulus bill that was filled with pork isn't working??? Oh, now, Obama cares about us little people and he will make everything right, won't he????

The only way to stimulate the economy is to let those of us that work keep more of our own money so we can spend, save and invest which creates jobs for people because we purchase the goods, products and services from these people which creates demand which forces business's to expand and hire even more people. ECON 101 but for some unknown reason this is so hard for all those smart people in Washington to wrap their minds around.:cuckoo:

Businesses pay tax on profits; my guess is most businesses laying off workers aren't making lots of profits.

Cutting taxes for individuals only stimulates if they use the money for purchases. If they put it into banks or pay down debt it does little to stimulate the economy.

And yet, here we have another thread where we won't see a single Obamatron post.

Sad thing is, now they see that he is no different than any other politician; say whatever you have to in order to get elected.

LOL if I tried to respond to every "It's all Obama's fault" type thread I'd have to be on 24/7.

Businesses pay tax on profits; my guess is most businesses laying off workers aren't making lots of profits.

Cutting taxes for individuals only stimulates if they use the money for purchases. If they put it into banks or pay down debt it does little to stimulate the economy.

So, it's the people's fault that Obama's plans aren't working?

LOL if I tried to respond to every "It's all Obama's fault" type thread I'd have to be on 24/7.

He's the President.

His plan.

It's not working.

Three out of three.

That's what's killing me about the government throwing buckets of money to where? I know IL has already collected tons, but not a thing has started. Want to know what happens to $$ in IL, most of which go to Chicago? Black hole. Then Murtha with his airport to no-where. Guess who's job it is to make sure these tons of money go where needed?

It's also a story that pisses me off at so many conservatives that pretend that blacks and others don't want to work-most do. This woman, bad though her political choice was, is a person I wish was my neighbor. I can understand her frustration at the tea party, as she heard/saw what was anti-Obama. My guess was she was not ready to see that most were upset at the same things she was. In fact, perhaps because they were white, she even recounted people saying the same things as she, about unemployment, wanting work, inability to pay bills, etc.

Damn, I'm depressed.

Most the $$ so far has gone to keep the financial system afloat. The stimulus spending won't be on line for a while. It generally takes 9-12 months to start having an effect.

His plan.

It's not working.

He's the President.

Three out of three.

If you expected a turnaround in 3 months you were misinformed.

On March 25, he said, "we’re beginning to see signs of progress.”

Three months and five days.

But...where's the progress?

You'd have to give me a cite to the text of his speech for me to be able to discern what he was talking about.

hey i got my 15 bucks a week.....i am happy....maybe i can retire ....oh wait the State of California is holding out its hand....doubled car registration,raised sales tax on just about everything.....sorry they said but WE need that money more than you.....you see we fucked up,and well you are going to bale us out again.....sorry.....

You'd have to give me a cite to the text of his speech for me to be able to discern what he was talking about.

Barack Obama said there were early “signs of progress” in efforts to stabilise the economy as the president promoted his recovery plans in a primetime televised press conference on Tuesday evening.

FT.com / US / Politics & Foreign policy - Obama touts signs of economic progress

Christ you're such an apologist, he said flat out " it's obvious, the stimulus plan is working" as soon as dow jumps up a few hundred points.

Forum List

Back