Obamacare vs Small Business

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Skull Pilot, May 27, 2010.

1. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704113504575264802756326086.html

Looks like we're finding out what's in the bill a la Bella Pelosi

So what will small businesses do? They will hire less people so as to keep costs down. Owners will weigh very carefully how or if they will expand or they might just decide that they will maintain only a small enough operation to secure their financial needs.

So once again labor and big business get a pass and small business is stuck with the tab. i seem to remember telling you idiots who support this abomination that very thing but you didn't believe me.

So now every business has to send a 1099 not only to contractors paid over $600 a year but to the telephone company, the electric company, the oil company, any and all vendors, hell I'll even have to 1099 the US Post office.

We will be drowned in a morass of government paperwork. Wait until you people who don't own businesses have to start issuing 1099s to everyone you pay more then $600 a year to. And for what? To grow the government even more. The IRS will have to be expanded even more to handle the influx of paperwork. Just in my small business with 10 employees and the business we do will mean I have to generate 75-100 1099s a year instead of the 2 or 3 that I do now.
    Tell me what else will you allow the government to mandate because if this abomination is not overturned there will be more and more mandates placed on us for our own good , of course.

2. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Your right, this bill does suck...compared to what Obama and Dems originally wanted to do. The original plan would have better addressed keeping costs under control but since no republicans had any interest in helping anything Obama wanted to do, it had no shot of getting off the ground.

This bill however is still better then doing nothing, which is exactly what repubs would have done, nothing at all and continue to let healthcare costs spiral out of control at the mercy of insurance companies.

3. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,627
    BS.

The Dems had a majority and passed this bs bill without any help from the Reps. Nor did they want any. The only reason they courted the Reps was so the Reps could share in the blame when the actual cost in money and jobs comes out.

If I ran a small business, or any business, I sure wouldn't be looking to expand or hire anyone. Not with what h/c will cost.

Of course this is just a foot in the door to the Govt takeover of H/C. Barry Boys true agenda. He DOES want us to be just like Europe doncha know.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Another untruth brought to you by Democrats and the media. The Republicans had health care reform plans of their own. They were brought to the floor and the Democrats shut them down without discussion.

The Republican plans were focused on health care costs, and getting them under control. The Democrats didn't want that.

Rick

5. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    You're right, just like I already said. Republicans had no interest in reforming the healthcare industry.

So you make contradicting statements here. First you say they didn't want any help, then you say they "courted" the republicans just so they can lay blame on them. I know it's hard but try and pick which actually happened.

Oh and I do remember watching the live healthcare open discussion that was broadcast on CSpan for something like 8+ hours. Definitely was both Dems and Repubs there. I can't seem to recall any amazing alternate plan for fixing healthcare to come from the republicans. (tort reform is nice but alone can't fix the system and that's the major idea I've heard consistently from Republicans)

6. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001

7. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,718

That is an absolute crock. Throughout the process, the following items were promoted by the GOP:

1. Reform the tax code in order to decouple insurance from employment (i.e., move the tax deduction to the individual). This then makes the consumer the purchaser, and also addresses the portability issue.

2. Get rid of interstate barriers to competition. There are over 1,300 health insurance companies in the U.S. State regulators restrict competition (which is always the goal of government regulator-company partnerships - to favor a few firms who are close the the regulators). Example: in CA only 6 out of those 1,300 companies are allowed to sell insurance. Open the borders; allow open competition.

3. Tort Reform on the Texas model. Limit punitive and pain and suffering damages (the federal government does this already for suits against itself). Recovery for economic damages based on actual losses. This has been very successful in TX. Instead of emulating the MA fiasco, we should build on the success of the TX reforms.

To say that the GOP offered no alternatives to reform health care is an out and out lie.

8. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,627
    BS again

If all you heard was Tort reform than you obviously didn't go to the Rep site for anything else. You can go on the Rep site and look up just what they had to offer. They were shut down totally by the Dems who wanted this clusterfuck no reform bill that we got.

The only "help" the Dems wanted from the Reps was for cover for them when the real totals for this clusterfuck come out. Which they didn't get. This is their clusterfuck and theirs alone.

Hell. THey had to bribe their own Dems to support it.

This bill has nothing that addresses the real problem with H/C. The cost. Insurance companies will have to cover everyone. Costs will go up even more.

Oh yeah. Way to go Dems.

10. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Will the new health care plan cover proctology exams? This is the liberal idea of the trickle down theory.