Obamacare premiums skyrocketing 78%!

Please provide the details. Start with the ages of the people in the plan. Number of smokers and number of pregnant persons. The name of the plan that you have now and how you get it ( employer, individual market ) The name of the plan that you are being forced to buy. I will need your state of residence. Zip code is even better. And...finally....the household income.

If you don't provide that info, you will just join the list of losers who want us to believe their bullshit without some kind of vetting.

Let's go. Lay it on me.

Zip code 16601 in PA. 4 people in household , ages 53, 49, 22 and 20. Currently have BC/BS Highmark PPO Blue 1200 HSA plan that costs me $675 per month. It pays for checkups and preventative care, but otherwise has a family deductible of $2,400. It is being canceled. The most similar ACA plan available is Highmark PPO Blue 1300, with a monthly premium of $1,4xx (I forget the exact amount and don't have it in front of me ). This similar plan is 125 percent higher than my current one. I cannot afford to pay $1400 a month, so I am looking at worse plans that have much higher deductibles and OOP maximums as high as $6000-$12000. The plans I see will cost me $866 to 1,160 and have higher deductibles and OOP max than I have now.

I am self employed, so I have to buy my own policy, and our household income varies, but has been just above the $95k limit where you get subsidies. I look forward to your response.

My dad got a notice the day, insurance for he and my mom is going to $1250 a month for just the two of them. $2500 deductible.

They did not go through the exchange.

Really?

That's awful! How old are they?

Dad's 63, mom's 62. Dad's self employed, mom doesn't work full time.

I've tried talking them into at least looking on the exchange, but mom's scared to change insurances.

They can afford it, but it's still ridiculous.

If they don't check the exchange....they are likely to get ripped off. Do it for them. It's easy.

Oh, I agree with you , but they are stubborn as most parents are.

Zip code 16601 in PA. 4 people in household , ages 53, 49, 22 and 20. Currently have BC/BS Highmark PPO Blue 1200 HSA plan that costs me $675 per month. It pays for checkups and preventative care, but otherwise has a family deductible of $2,400. It is being canceled. The most similar ACA plan available is Highmark PPO Blue 1300, with a monthly premium of $1,4xx (I forget the exact amount and don't have it in front of me ). This similar plan is 125 percent higher than my current one. I cannot afford to pay $1400 a month, so I am looking at worse plans that have much higher deductibles and OOP maximums as high as $6000-$12000. The plans I see will cost me $866 to 1,160 and have higher deductibles and OOP max than I have now.

I am self employed, so I have to buy my own policy, and our household income varies, but has been just above the $95k limit where you get subsidies. I look forward to your response.

My dad got a notice the day, insurance for he and my mom is going to $1250 a month for just the two of them. $2500 deductible.

They did not go through the exchange.

Really?

That's awful! How old are they?

Dad's 63, mom's 62. Dad's self employed, mom doesn't work full time.

I've tried talking them into at least looking on the exchange, but mom's scared to change insurances.

They can afford it, but it's still ridiculous.

If they don't check the exchange....they are likely to get ripped off. Do it for them. It's easy.

Oh, I agree with you , but they are stubborn as most parents are.

Whatcha gonna do?

Awesome!

I already found a Highmark Gold plan that is better than the one you had...for $933.

It is called Flex Blue 1200. Check it out.

I would LOVE to see proof that you paid $675 per month for the previous plan on the individual market. You do know that that plan had coinsurance for your primary doc and generic drugs....right?

I was away from home writing on my phone yesterday. You are right I am not now paying $675 per month. I'm actually paying $623.65 per month!!

But I'm coming up with a premium of $993, not $933 for the Highmark Gold Flex Blue PPO 1200. Did you actually get $933 or was that a typo? In any case, let's compare my current plan (PPO Blue 1200) and the $993 ACA plan (Flex Blue 1200) you identified (which is one of the several I am contemplating).

Deductible (Individual/Family):

Current plan: $1,200/$2,400 Your plan: $1,200/$2,400 with a smaller network.

Verdict: Close to a tie, but they are shrinking the network. That has to do with a fight between insurance companies and providers, so I won't count that against the new plan.

Out-Of-Pocket Maximum (Family):

Current plan: $3,000 New plan: $7,200

Verdict: Current plan wins by a mile!

Coinsurance (my cost):

Current plan: 10% New plan: 20%

Verdict: Current plan!

Preventative Care:

Current plan: 100%; exempt from deductible New plan: 100%; exempt from deductible

Verdict: Tie.

Copays:

Current plan: Full payment until deductible met. New plan: $20/$30

Verdict: New plan has lower costs for care before deductible is met.

HSA benefit:

Current plan: HSA eligible. New plan: Not HSA eligible

Verdict: Current plan, as it allows me to save/invest money and get a tax break on $6,450 contribution, saving +/- $1,200 in taxes.

So, I will save a little money because I have copays before I hit my deductible. But my out-of-pocket maximum is $4,200 more, I don't get HSA tax benefits, and I pay 59% ($4,432 annually) more in premiums. Oh, happy day!!

My task for today is to review the six or eight plan that look most promising, with premiums ranging from $749 to $1,407 per month. None of the plans under the $993 plan you identified look attractive, but I just can't afford to pay more than $12,000 a year for insurance and then still be on the hook for copays and co-insurance.

I'll check back once I narrow down my unpalatable decision.

Forum List

Back