ObamaCare- Mandate is Constitutional as a Tax, etc.

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
and there it is.

early notes say the Mandate is Constitutional as a Tax........ if I recall Obama said it wasn't a tax......:eusa_eh:

well, its all over but the crying.

The system is the system, life goes on.

Reminder to self, pick up the Rosetta Stone module for French:lol:

And Roberts was the fifth vote. He has my respect for not wanting to de-legitimize the Court on his watch.

Two hundred years of precedent and all of the New Deal decisions, support this decision, no matter what some would like to believe.

Roberts did change it back to a tax...that is precedent. Mandate which Obama packaged it...no, not precedent.

And Roberts was the fifth vote. He has my respect for not wanting to de-legitimize the Court on his watch.

Two hundred years of precedent and all of the New Deal decisions, support this decision, no matter what some would like to believe.

WHAT?
de-legitimize the court? Only a liberal would think that. The court was delegitimized during the Warren years.

I dont recalll precedent! Oh and good luck on keeping your insurance.

Supreme Court upholds entire health care law

[Updated at 10:19 a.m. ET] Even though there's disagreement on the issue, the majority ruling is essentially saying it is up to the branches to work out the differences.

"When a court confronts an unconstitutional statue its endeavor must be to to conserve, not destroy the legislation," Roberts wrote.

The decision is 110 pages, including the dissent, which was written together by Justices Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas and Alito.

A concurring opinion was written by Justice Ginsberg.

[Updated at 10:16 a.m. ET] Kate Bolduan reports that the Chief Justice John Roberts issued a long opinion in which he said the controversial individual mandate may be upheld and is within Congress’ power under the taxing clause rather than the commerce clause.

Important to say that (obviously) this is a complicated ruling and Roberts' did say indiv. mandate could not stand under Commerce Clause.
—

[Updated at 10:15 a.m. ET] The Supreme Court has upheld the entire health care law by a vote of 5 to 4, Supreme Court Producer Bill Mears said. That includes the medicare provision.

Supreme Court upholds health care law - This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Roberts did change it back to a tax...that is precedent. Mandate which Obama packaged it...no, not precedent.

Really? Did you pay FICA before you retired?

And do you really think what you call something is more important than its actual effect?

Faced with the prospect that his legacy would be determined by the Courts decision on Obamacare, Roberts decides he does not want to be the one blamed for pulling healthcare away from millions of Americans

Tough call for Roberts, but in the end he did not want to be the one held responsible

And do you really think what you call something is more important than its actual effect?

it's nuance that liberals dont get.

And don't forget. This takes 500 bilion dollars out of medicare for the elderly. The people who need the most health care are going to get less. And, this health care has a 15 member death panel.

:eusa_whistle: If they do not buy healthcare they just got hit with a 2K more in taxes. Glad you left wing nuts are happy about it.. They did not expand Medicaid so I guess they cant go on that

Faced with the prospect that his legacy would be determined by the Courts decision on Obamacare, Roberts decides he does not want to be the one blamed for pulling healthcare away from millions of Americans

Tough call for Roberts, but in the end he did not want to be the one held responsible

Roberts made a decision based on law, idiot.

I disagree with it, but that is the case.

FICA is a payroll TAX
Obamacare was packaged as a mandate, Jillian.
That's why Roberts changed it from a mandate to a TAX

Forum List

Back