Obamacare Insurers Sweeten Plans With Free Doctor Visits

A little something for those lucky enough to live in these cities:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/856723?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=127342PX

Seems like a good idea, and presumably something consumers will find valuable.

One of the big questions thus far for those choosing higher deductible plans has been how do you preserve the benefits of that plan design (e.g., consumer price sensitivity) while still encouraging that longitudinal relationship with a primary care provider that we know has long-term benefits. Good to see the market experimenting with solutions.

Gee umpteen years in the insurance business and no one figured this out? Or maybe, just maybe, they found out that people overused the benefit and it cost them money.

Insurers rate at the community level (not the individual level) now. That means the premiums they offer can only be as low as the health of the communities they serve allow them to be--and they can't turn away the sick anymore.

It's now in their competitive and financial interest to devote energy that used to go into coming up with novel ways to avoid the sick to now figure out ways to play their part in preserving and restoring health.

Basically this is a test of whether discovering expensive illnesses early and hopefully saving treatment costs offsets the cost of doctor visits. Far from a new idea, insurers have opted out of this in the past, so I can only conclude it is not cost effective.

Prior to the PPACA, I'd imagine it wasn't cost effective. We'll see if it makes a difference this time.

How could it not be cost effective before.

People who didn't have insurance avoided going for checkups.

Basically this is a test of whether discovering expensive illnesses early and hopefully saving treatment costs offsets the cost of doctor visits. Far from a new idea, insurers have opted out of this in the past, so I can only conclude it is not cost effective.

Prior to the PPACA, I'd imagine it wasn't cost effective. We'll see if it makes a difference this time.

News Flash:

Your article indicated that those with insurance were not going in for check ups.

You are truly boring.

Gee umpteen years in the insurance business and no one figured this out? Or maybe, just maybe, they found out that people overused the benefit and it cost them money.

Insurers rate at the community level (not the individual level) now. That means the premiums they offer can only be as low as the health of the communities they serve allow them to be--and they can't turn away the sick anymore.

It's now in their competitive and financial interest to devote energy that used to go into coming up with novel ways to avoid the sick to now figure out ways to play their part in preserving and restoring health.

While I agree with the concept in principle (and I really wished it were that way), I am a bit more skeptical about what is going on here.

Praise be to our insurance masters. We are so lucky to serve them.

Yes, the combination of industry and government now assures that your interests which got so little attention now get no attention at all.

News Flash:

Your article indicated that those with insurance were not going in for check ups.

Which is why these insurers decided to offer one free checkup, duh.

Yes, the combination of industry and government now assures that your interests which got so little attention now get no attention at all.

Corporatism, über alles!

Absolutely.

And the far left and far right play right into their hands.

We only get what we earn. Our obvious lack of demand for good primary education is now coming back to hurt us...bad.

News Flash:

Which is why these insurers decided to offer one free checkup, duh.

I am glad you have health insurance.....you must get a lot of care for that damaged brain.

Corporatism, über alles!

Absolutely.

I'm not so sure about that. The so-called 'moderates' seem be the most enthusiastic about it.

Corporatism, über alles!

Absolutely.

I'm not so sure about that. The so-called 'moderates' seem be the most enthusiastic about it.

Moderates don't really seem to pay much attention to the how.....just the what.

So it is not surprizing.

But there would be no what were it not for the goosestepping morons at the far ends who got sold a bill of goods by a government and industry partnership that is now laughing all the way to the bank.

Forum List

Back