Obamacare could deny coverage to sick

DING! Right here. You enroll now, you are locked in at the current plan, current rate, and cannot change it for any reason. The instant you do, sorry charlie, you're on the public option, because after this goes into effect, private insurers are no longer able to offer you a new plan either unless it's a public option based plan.

Read what you posted. Take a moment to think about what it says.

Nevermind, I'll just tell you. It says you can't join or alter a grandfathered plan, which is usually the definition of a grandfathered plan. That is, those plans get to keep playing by old rules but going forward (i.e. for private plans created after the implementation date of the legislation) the new rules are in effect.

Nothing there prevents you from buying a new private plan. In fact, there's no mention of the public option in what you quoted at all. And I should note here that there is no public option in the law that passed.

Oh, BTW, this is from the PASSED legislation H.R. 3962 which was based on H.R. 3200 you said had nothing to do with it.

To reiterate: H.R. 3962 is not law. 3962 is the post-mark-up version of 3200, passed in November. But it never went to the Senate. Instead, the House later passed the Senate bill, making its own bill irrelevant. You understand that there isn't a public option in the law, right?

Maybe this will sink in if I put it in bold: H.R. 3590 (the Senate bill) and H.R. 4872 (the reconciliation bill) are law. When someone speaks of the health reform law, that's what they're talking about. That is all.

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.

"Exchange-participating health benefits plan" is not code for public plan. The Exchange is full of private insurers offering private plans.

You need to back away from the chain emails and conspiracy theory sites.

Last edited:
And still... the whole discussion is irrelevant because it's unconstitutional, fiscally unsound and will probably be overturned next congressional session or by SCOTUS in 24 months, tops. I'm banking more like 7 months.

And still... the whole discussion is irrelevant because it's unconstitutional, fiscally unsound and will probably be overturned next congressional session or by SCOTUS in 24 months, tops. I'm banking more like 7 months.

This post would've been more effective if you'd posted it before you revealed that you've never read the law, just learned how to even find it, can't distinguish which bill it actually corresponds to, and just generally have no idea what you're talking about.

Just a heads up.

SEC. 202. PROTECTING THE CHOICE TO KEEP CURRENT COVERAGE.

(a) Grandfathered Health Insurance Coverage Defined- Subject to the succeeding provisions of this section, for purposes of establishing acceptable coverage under this division, the term `grandfathered health insurance coverage' means individual health insurance coverage that is offered and in force and effect before the first day of Y1 if the following conditions are met:

(1) LIMITATION ON NEW ENROLLMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day of Y1.

(B) DEPENDENT COVERAGE PERMITTED- Subparagraph (A) shall not affect the subsequent enrollment of a dependent of an individual who is covered as of such first day.

(2) LIMITATION ON CHANGES IN TERMS OR CONDITIONS- Subject to paragraph (3) and except as required by law, the issuer does not change any of its terms or conditions, including benefits and cost-sharing, from those in effect as of the day before the first day of Y1.

(3) RESTRICTIONS ON PREMIUM INCREASES- The issuer cannot vary the percentage increase in the premium for a risk group of enrollees in specific grandfathered health insurance coverage without changing the premium for all enrollees in the same risk group at the same rate, as specified by the Commissioner.
DING! Right here. You enroll now, you are locked in at the current plan, current rate, and cannot change it for any reason. The instant you do, sorry charlie, you're on the public option, because after this goes into effect, private insurers are no longer able to offer you a new plan either unless it's a public option based plan.

It lets private insurance 'wither on the vine'.

debunkdebunkdebunkdebunk....

Oh, BTW, this is from the PASSED legislation H.R. 3962 which was based on H.R. 3200 you said had nothing to do with it.

(c) Limitation on Individual Health Insurance Coverage-

(1) IN GENERAL- Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan.

(2) SEPARATE, EXCEPTED COVERAGE PERMITTED- Nothing in--

(A) paragraph (1) shall prevent the offering of excepted benefits described in section 2791(c) of the Public Health Service Act so long as such benefits are offered outside the Health Insurance Exchange and are priced separately from health insurance coverage; and

(B) this division shall be construed--

(i) to prevent the offering of a stand-alone plan that offers coverage of excepted benefits described in section 2791(c)(2)(A) of the Public Health Service Act (relating to limited scope dental or vision benefits) for individuals and families from a State-licensed dental and vision carrier; or

(ii) as applying requirements for a qualified health benefits plan to such a stand-alone plan that is offered and priced separately from a qualified health benefits plan.
Just gotta love it. NOT.

But once again, No constitutional power to do any of this.

You get to keep your plan, as long as it doesn't change, but all the plans have to change to be in compliance with the new rules. Didn't somebody write a book about that?

Catch22_cover.jpg

You get to keep your plan, as long as it doesn't change, but all the plans have to change to be in compliance with the new rules. Didn't somebody write a book about that?

To clarify again so we're all on the same page: we're now talking about the text of a piece of legislation that isn't law and is no longer relevant.

That said, the point of the grandfather clause (which is similar to a provision of the actual law) is that the grandfathered plans don't have to change to comply with the new rules.

It is constitutional, it is sound, and will never be overturned. Silly Fits.

Yeah! Because Obama's ever so dreamy, right, Jake?

To clarify again so we're all on the same page: we're now talking about the text of a piece of legislation that isn't law and is no longer relevant.

That said, the point of the grandfather clause (which is similar to a provision of the actual law) is that the grandfathered plans don't have to change to comply with the new rules.

One word, REGULATION.

HHS is writing a bunch of regulations covering what is, and is not, required for a plan to be able to be sold in the US. Until those are actually on paper, nothing you say about what is going to be required makes a spit of difference, which is something everyone knows, except, apparently, you. that means you are either a fool, or being disingenuous. I am pretty sure you are not a fool, and now that I have demonstrated that I am not maybe you will start being honest yourself.

I like the picture of you, daveman. It's cute! :lol:
Wow, that's so original! Did you think that up all on your own? Your mom must be so proud!
I am glad you are laughing. Laughter is good for a dark soul like you.
You keep pretending your opinion is fact. :lol: That explains your worldview.

Hey, you done with your list of reasons why your arrogance is merited? I'm getting impatient, boy. Children who don't hand in their homework on time fail.

You need to be honest, QWB. You have no idea what regulations are going to enacted, so nothing you are saying now does not matter ~ you don't know. In your words, your thinking "does not a spit of difference." You are not a fool but not smart enough to be disingenuous. In other words, you have no idea about you are talking. Admit, you are lost.

Wow, that's so original! Did you think that up all on your own? Your mom must be so proud!

Hey, you done with your list of reasons why your arrogance is merited? I'm getting impatient, boy. Children who don't hand in their homework on time fail.

Once again you project your inner problems onto me, son. Silly boy.

Once again you project your inner problems onto me, son. Silly boy.
:lol: Go check this out.

Yeah! Because Obama's ever so dreamy, right, Jake?
Wow, Joke still thinks I'm talking to him? If it weren't for quotes in other people's posts, I'd have forgotten he existed already.

Yepper, that is why Fits has responded several times. I love how he pretends he doesn't follow me around, spying and scrying. Hmmm . . . no, not even Fits would do what I was going to say. Mr. F would, though.

Forum List

Back