Obama won't recommend raising retirement age or reducing Social Security

It'll be fun watching reactions to Ryan recommending getting rid of Medicare, and his plan to give old people a "coupon" for a discount on buying their own health insurance.

I saw something on one of the pundit shows that was interesting. Someone recommended lowering the retirement age for a short period to encourage older workers to leave more physically demanding jobs. That was sort of interesting. I am sure it would meet with fierce opposition from the right, but these sorts of temporary measures are done all the time, in the form of tax breaks/grants/loans for big business to encourage hiring. That's actually been tried..and according to the right..it didn't work.

This might be a way to go..

Yeah because that would be too risky. I would do that on the second term and not even comment on that policy.

Way to putz out. Without a doubt the age needs to be raised. If you are too enfeebled by 62 you can still take the reduced benes.

I saw something on one of the pundit shows that was interesting. Someone recommended lowering the retirement age for a short period to encourage older workers to leave more physically demanding jobs. That was sort of interesting. I am sure it would meet with fierce opposition from the right, but these sorts of temporary measures are done all the time, in the form of tax breaks/grants/loans for big business to encourage hiring. That's actually been tried..and according to the right..it didn't work.

This might be a way to go..

Here is how it works Sallow. For each year you increase the age to retire, the government saves roughly $12.379 billion. When you lower the age, the opposite thing happens. You move more people onto SS, and hence more payments & benefits paid out.

He may not endorse it but that doesn't mean he won't approve the bill if social security cuts are included.

I do not understand how cutting social security benefits will reduce the deficit. Up until 2010, Social Security payments were covered by FICA taxes. Last year FICA revenue collections were down forcing the government to reduce the fund by 76 million to pay benefits. In 2011, revenue is projected to rise and and in 2012 FICA taxes should again cover the payments. In 2018, we start reducing the trust fund and exhaust it in 2041. At that time benefits will have to be paid with just FICA taxes. Benefits would be reduced by 25% unless congress does something between now and then. But I don't see how it's a factor in the deficit. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Way to putz out. Without a doubt the age needs to be raised. If you are too enfeebled by 62 you can still take the reduced benes.

How about we cut off all those moms that never worked a day in their life, all the other people who never paid into the program, and lower the payments to the disabled and illegals & green card Mexicans, while not paying a dime to any new retirees? Let them suck eggs. That ought to lower SS for you deary.

Last edited:
Obama will say what most want to hear.. jobs.. jobs.. jobs...then...pffffffft. nothing

The best we can hope for is a slow down to speed walking, over the cliff...

I'm starting to get close to SS.. so.. eh.. no problem...:lol:

Obama will say what most want to hear.. jobs.. jobs.. jobs...then...pffffffft. nothing

Sure he will. Just as he is moving to the center now that is is beginning to get closer to elections.

Oh, like the new republican house? They already forgot about jobs.

All the politicians are gonna kick this can down the road until the bridge collapses. They have families too, and aren't interested in losing their jobs. So, the can kicks again, and who knows how strong the bridge is.

A Real Hero to take a stand like that against an immoral act of injustice against the old and infirmed on fixed incomes. They have already experienced raised age limits. Take it from the rich, they can afford it, the unpatriotic cowards.

Um.........over 90% of social benefits already paid out, are paid for by the rich.

Do the rich exist in your mind ONLY for the purpose of subsidizing the lives of the lazy?

Forum List

Back