Obama wonders: Why no tort reform when R's ruled?

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Republican answer: "We needed 60 votes in the Senate, too, Mr. President" (yeah, I LOLed)

From the good folks at Hot Air and their "Obamateurism of the Day" files...

Hot Air Blog Archive Obamateurism of the Day

The first rule lawyers learn, besides that every waking moment is billable to someone, is not to ask questions when you&#8217;re unprepared for the answer. The nation&#8217;s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar must have skipped class that day at Harvard. At the end of the health-care summit last week, Barack Obama falls a little too in love with his own wit and gets zinged over reconciliation as a consequence:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWgOIaRCqkE]YouTube - Obama wonders why Republicans didn't pass "malpractice reform"[/ame]

More at HA link.

:lol:

Note: I strongly considered putting this in the Humor thread but I'm not sure of the rules there. Anyone know if something can be "too political" even when it's a joke? Meh, better safe than "moved" I guess.

Because the Democrats would have filibustered it.

Yes, that was the response that they needed 60 votes. Because the GOP won't sneak through major legislation using a slimy loophole like reconcialiation to achieve their unpopular goals. Only Democrats do that.

I'm wondering if we'd be in this same situation if they ever did have a supermajority. I'm glad you all have faith, because personally I think both parties have done a pretty good job at proving they have no ability to govern or actually do anything.

Oh that is funny.

It was a fair question though, and, while the R's were quick on their feet on that one for a change, if they are really honest they weren't all that concerned about tort reform just as they weren't concerned about a whole lot of things they should have been concerned about when they were in the majority.

That's what got their tushes booted out of the majority in 2006.

If the GOP regains the majority in November, they'll do fine for a couple of years. They'll be going toe to toe with the most liberal President ever to sit in the Oval Office and that will help them look good.

If they are successful in electing a Republican President in 2012 and return to their complacent and arrogant ways they demonstrated during most of President Bush's term of office, however, I think they will be thrown out again and will be done as a major political party.

The GoP would never have been able to do it, Trial Lawyers are a huge special interest contributor to Democrats, there was no way in hell they would have allowed the GoP to have tort reform.

And Barry knows this.

Just another example of what a disingenious fuckhead he truely is.

The GoP would never have been able to do it, Trial Lawyers are a huge special interest contributor to Democrats, there was no way in hell they would have allowed the GoP to have tort reform.

Exactly. Lawyers / Law Firms: Long-Term Contribution Trends | OpenSecrets The Dems will not vote for tort reform because they are in the attorneys' pockets.

.... And Barry knows this.

Just another example of what a disingenious fuckhead he truely is.
Spot on again.

See, I think the USA actually needs some publicaly funded option, I think the system in Australia is light years ahead of the USA. But President Obama should have kept it simple, propose a voluntary public insurance option one can opt into, then went to the Republicans and said you give me that I will give you tort reform (which would reduce the cost of malpractice insurance a large cost in health care delivery, it can be done from the White House, Clinton signed onto Welfare reform despite his party hating the idea) and we both want no pre-existing condition rejections, and a cross state insurance market. We can agree there.

He could have struck a deal if he had not farmed the entire thing out to Democratic party hacks in the Congress.

If he had practiced an art known as leadership.

Last edited:
Um why not the entire clip when he spanks GOPs ass and points out that tort reform would save couple billions of dollars a year in a multi trillion industry? Yeah, thats the ticket. Lets save 3 billion and fuck all.

See, I think the USA actually needs some publicaly funded option, I think the system in Australia is light years ahead of the USA. But President Obama should have kept it simple, propose a voluntary public insurance option one can opt into, then went to the Republicans and said you give me that I will give you tort reform (which would reduce the cost of malpractice insurance a large cost in health care delivery, it can be done from the White House, Clinton signed onto Welfare reform despite his party hating the idea) and we both want no pre-existing condition rejections, and a cross state insurance market. We can agree there.

He could have struck a deal if he had not farmed the entire thing out to Democratic party hacks in the Congress.

If he had practiced an art known as leadership.
Don't you "get" it yet???

1. If there is a public option then it won't matter if the Democrats allow a cross state insurance market anymore because the PUBLIC OPTION will ensure that private insurance everywhere goes out of business. Public Option is just a baby step from Universal Health Care.

2. If you allow pre-existing conditions, then you have to force EVERYONE to buy into insurance because no one will want to buy insurance until they are sick and need it.

This ObamaCare and HillaryCare preceeding it were simply giant piles of dog crap the public doesn't want other than people who want the government to provide them everything.

Republican answer: "We needed 60 votes in the Senate, too, Mr. President" (yeah, I LOLed)

From the good folks at Hot Air and their "Obamateurism of the Day" files...

Hot Air Blog Archive Obamateurism of the Day

The first rule lawyers learn, besides that every waking moment is billable to someone, is not to ask questions when you&#8217;re unprepared for the answer. The nation&#8217;s biggest celebrity Constitutional scholar must have skipped class that day at Harvard. At the end of the health-care summit last week, Barack Obama falls a little too in love with his own wit and gets zinged over reconciliation as a consequence:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWgOIaRCqkE]YouTube - Obama wonders why Republicans didn't pass "malpractice reform"[/ame]

More at HA link.

Note: I strongly considered putting this in the Humor thread but I'm not sure of the rules there. Anyone know if something can be "too political" even when it's a joke? Meh, better safe than "moved" I guess.

Just curious, how do you explain the Bush Tax cuts passing and did Dick Cheney ever have to break a "tie"?

Have you ever heard of the word "Reconciliation" and do you know what it means?

Please explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that is funny.

It was a fair question though, and, while the R's were quick on their feet on that one for a change, if they are really honest they weren't all that concerned about tort reform just as they weren't concerned about a whole lot of things they should have been concerned about when they were in the majority.

If the GOP regains the majority in November, they'll do fine for a couple of years. They'll be going toe to toe with the most liberal President ever to sit in the Oval Office and that will help them look good.

If they are successful in electing a Republican President in 2012 and return to their complacent and arrogant ways they demonstrated during most of President Bush's term of office, however, I think they will be thrown out again and will be done as a major political party.

Government has a tendency to react rather then deal with problems. They had two wars they were kind of concerned with, fixing government facilities that were let go during the Clinton years, they tried to fix Social Security, defeat terrorism, the economy, domestic drilling, Katrina, one hurricane after another, constant attacks from Democrats.

Only recently has health care become such a big deal. So it's disingenuous to accuse them of not addressing an issue that wasn't on the radar at that time.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you libs have memories at all.

Um why not the entire clip when he spanks GOPs ass and points out that tort reform would save couple billions of dollars a year in a multi trillion industry? Yeah, thats the ticket. Lets save 3 billion and fuck all.

1) Saving that money is a good thing
2) Other experts expect more savings
3) You act as if tort reform is the only change conservatives or republicans want

Oh that is funny.

Government has a tendency to react rather then deal with problems. They had two wars they were kind of concerned with, fixing government facilities that were let go during the Clinton years, they tried to fix Social Security, defeat terrorism, the economy, domestic drilling, Katrina, one hurricane after another, constant attacks from Democrats.

Only recently has health care become such a big deal. So it's disingenuous to accuse them of not addressing an issue that wasn't on the radar at that time.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you libs have memories at all.

Okay those are all good points.

But.....but.....you called me a liberal!

:)

:razz:

046.gif

That was funny.

Since when did 3 billion dollars become a puny amount of money?

I remember when Obama made a big deal out of saving $100M.

President Obama plans to convene his Cabinet for the first time today, and he will order its members to identify a combined $100 million in budget cuts over the next 90 days, according to a senior administration official.

Although the budget cuts would amount to a minuscule portion of federal spending, they are intended to signal the president's determination to cut spending and reform government, the official said. ...

Obama to Order Cabinet to Quickly Cut $100 Million From Department Budgets - washingtonpost.com

That is a damned fine question.

They could and did ram though a lot of stuff that was much more contentious than that issue.

That is a damned fine question.

They could and did ram though a lot of stuff that was much more contentious than that issue.

That damn good question has been answered over and over. The Democrats are solidly in the pocket of trial attorneys and blocked tort reform. If the GOP had had a supermajority, tort reform would have passed.

Ever since we started thinking in budgets in amounts started with a "T" instead of a "B". Who was it that said, "A billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money?"

Forum List

Back