Obama with a Republican Congress will be close to unbeatable in 2012 imo

God how are some people so damn OBLIVIOUS?

Unemployment would have to be @ 6.5%-7% TOPS for Obama to even have a SHOT and even then that drop wouldn't be his doing.

Obama has already shot himself in the foot SOOOOO MANY TIMES that the GOP commercials for 2012 are writing themselves.

It depends on who we pick too.....I just dunno.....

So agreeing to the GOP's tax plan, which is touted 24/7 by the GOP as the jobs jobs jobs plan,

doesn't have a chance of lowering the UE rate?

hmmmmm....

Only Republicans on the right win. Reagan, Bush, Bush. Republicans in the center lose. Ford, Dole, McCain.

Obama will never sell Americans on the notion that being miserable is the new norm.

Bush Sr. was/is a moderate. Eisenhower and Nixon were moderates.

That's moderate by modern day conservatives' definition.

Only when he lost. Clinton ran to the right of him on tax cuts, and got away with it, since Bush raised taxes.

Obama ran to the right of McCain on health care, and got away with it.

Nixon's centrism got him nowhere.

Obama's not an ideologue. At worst, even if he has an ideal in principle in some cases, he's a pragmatist and realist in almost all situations. If things need to get done, he's willing to compromise. He's always been that way. Circumstances dictate which direction he moves. He's principled, but not an ideologue.

He will learn to triangulate from the best. Bill's a Jedi Master.

He's an ideologue. He believes in an ever escalating presence of government in people's lives.

He never compromises if he can get his way.

Re:Revere

I disagree, but we will soon see. He needed to act early in his Presidency on a few things. With a Democratic Congress, it was easier to move slightly to the left of his ideal than to the right. The Democrats in Congress would not have been okay with him moving to his right after the 2008 election and with the majorities they had. He's freer now. He's willing to compromise and going forward will move to the right, which is close to the center and will make most happy enough. He probably won't be quite as good or crafty as Reagan and Clinton were at it, but similar results.

Obama with a Republican House will be close to unbeatable in 2012 imo. (I recognize the Senate is still slightly more Democrat)

He will constantly appear to be a centrist, pragmatist because that's what he really is. Independents and swing voters will appreciate that and lefty liberals will accept it, if grudgingly. The Republicans will have no way to paint him in a corner, because he'll be willing to meet them half way. That, and the bully pulpit. The Republican nominee in 2012 has no chance. I'd put my money where my mouth is in a heartbeat.

You folks think he's a hard line liberal. He's not. If something needs to get done, he's willing to move a little one way or the other to make it happen as he stated. It's been obvious if you follow him closely.

With Pelosi as head of the House, he had to tack more left. Now he'll be forced where he wants to go anyway, which is the center.

If you read the book Audacity of Hope, you'll find, though his ideals are a little left of center, he recognizes the country is dead-center on the whole and that's where policy should be taken in most cases.

Obama was rated left of Teddy fuckin Kennedy, you're loosing it dude, seriously.

IF the economy improves then HE HAS A CHANCE, period, if it doesn't, he's done, PERIOD. Its the economy stupid.

Rated left of center by you TPers? :lol:

Only Republicans on the right win. Reagan, Bush, Bush. Republicans in the center lose. Ford, Dole, McCain.

Obama will never sell Americans on the notion that being miserable is the new norm.

Bush Sr. was/is a moderate. Eisenhower and Nixon were moderates.

That's moderate by modern day conservatives' definition.

Only when he lost. Clinton ran to the right of him on tax cuts, and got away with it, since Bush raised taxes.

Obama ran to the right of McCain on health care, and got away with it.

Nixon's centrism got him nowhere.

That's simply nonsense. Please

Obama's not an ideologue. At worst, even if he has an ideal in principle in some cases, he's a pragmatist and realist in almost all situations. If things need to get done, he's willing to compromise. He's always been that way. Circumstances dictate which direction he moves. He's principled, but not an ideologue.

He will learn to triangulate from the best. Bill's a Jedi Master.

He's an ideologue. He believes in an ever escalating presence of government in people's lives.

He never compromises if he can get his way.

Re:Revere

I disagree, but we will soon see. He needed to act early in his Presidency on a few things. With a Democratic Congress, it was easier to move slightly to the left of his ideal than to the right. The Democrats in Congress would not have been okay with him moving to his right after the 2008 election and with the majorities they had. He's freer now. He's willing to compromise and going forward will move to the right, which is close to the center and will make most happy enough. He probably won't be quite as good or crafty as Reagan and Clinton were at it, but similar results.

Who the hell is going to vote for another big government statist with statism collapsing at every level of government?

Revere,

You don't have to answer of course, but just curious. Have you ever voted for a Democrat? The reason I ask is you make these blanket statements that no one will vote for this, that, or the other when the reality is, the people that decide general elections are certainly to the left of you and mostly to the right of me.

Obama is not viewed as an extreme lefty, the way Pelosi is. He still has fairly high likability ratings, when politicians, on the whole, have extremely low ones. If he tacks to the center, you may not think he's far right enough, but I bet a majority of Americans will.

He just agreed to a Republican tax bill and you say that. You are fucking stupid.

You obviously weren't listening to the Press Conference earlier. The man hates the fact that he has to do this.

See, Clinton on the other hand loved to triangulate. He would be out there claiming how brilliant his idea was and how this is the best thing since slice bread.

Obama hates the fact that people are keeping more of their money.

Revere,

You don't have to answer of course, but just curious. Have you ever voted for a Democrat? The reason I ask is you make these blanket statements that no one will vote for this, that, or the other when the reality is, the people that decide general elections are certainly to the left of you and mostly to the right of me.

Obama is not viewed as an extreme lefty, the way Pelosi is. He still has fairly high likability ratings, when politicians, on the whole, have extremely low ones. If he tacks to the center, you may not think he's far right enough, but I bet a majority of Americans will.

Never. And the last two years has told us there is no such thing as a moderate Democrat.

He just agreed to a Republican tax bill and you say that. You are fucking stupid.

You obviously weren't listening to the Press Conference earlier. The man hates the fact that he has to do this.

See, Clinton on the other hand loved to triangulate. He would be out there claiming how brilliant his idea was and how this is the best thing since slice bread.

People are keeping more of their money by not paying for the government they're getting.

I acknowledge that this is partly true. But, Clinton was the master. Obama will learn. He has incredibly weak opposition as the loudest voices opposed to him are the likes of Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann. If Paul Ryan or Tom Coburn or Chris Christie were spinning against him, he may have a problem. For now, he'll learn to triangulate and by 2012 have Independents eating out of his hand and drinking the Kool Aid. Watch.

I acknowledge that this is partly true. But, Clinton was the master. Obama will learn. He has incredibly weak opposition as the loudest voices opposed to him are the likes of Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann. If Paul Ryan or Tom Coburn or Chris Christie were spinning against him, he may have a problem. For now, he'll learn to triangulate and by 2012 have Independents eating out of his hand and drinking the Kool Aid. Watch.

He's not triangulating. Triangulating is a strategy. He's bouncing off issues like a pinball and never knows where he'll land.

Revere,

Never. And the last two years has told us there is no such thing as a moderate Democrat.

I'm a moderate Democrat.

Revere,

I'm a moderate Democrat.

Not if you support anything Obama did in the last two years.

He's not triangulating. Triangulating is a strategy. He's bouncing off issues like a pinball and never knows where he'll land.

There are very few moderates of any kind in Washington at this point. Many of the mod Dems just got voted out. Mark Pryor, Michael Bennet, Claire McCaskill, Amy Klobuchar, Ben Nelson all moderate. Obama is fairly moderate. Compromise in many cases will have to look like what we got with this thing. You'll get part of what you want, and I'll get part of what I want. There won't be as much meeting in the middle and everyone liking the whole thing.

What have Obama's "moderate" policies been over the past two years, excluding the extensions of tax cuts which he was dragged kicking and screaming to do, and actually campaigned against?

I don't want anything of what you want. That's what the last election was all about.

Ha, true.

I'm not an ardent left-winger though. You'd be surprised. An example, I actually think Paul Ryan and Tom Coburn had a better track for healthcare than the Democrats. The unfortunate thing is pragmatically it wasn't possible. The Dems weren't going to pass that bill. I'm for Progress, but the right kind.

We probably disagree on many social issues and some foreign policy, but fiscally, I'm not for big time handouts. If you think all entitlements are bad, that's kind of an extreme position that's taken hold lately, then maybe we're not close on fiscal matters either. For example, I think Social Security and Medicare should be tweaked, not abolished.

Anyway, you won't get exactly what you want either. Ideally, to me, Obama is President through January of 2017. Republicans have slight majorities in both the House and Senate 2013-2017 and they work together to get things done.

Forum List

Back