Obama: "We're out of money"

I'll be damned.... And how long has Fannie/Freddie BEEN under incompetent management? Which party took control of Congress in 2007? And while we're at it, why didn't that Congress do something about the stranglehold the credit card companies/banks had on the consumers until now? Did they approve of usury until Obama was elected?

I really don't know how long you have been on this board? But you might want to take the time to inform yourself on facts--before making a claim as you just did. Here's a good start.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html.

Thanks ever soooo much!

Page Not Found

We're sorry, the page you've requested does not exist at this address.

Now, I'd suggest that before you start questioning the length of time that posters have been on THIS board, you check your references before attempting to present them as FACTS!

The prior link worked for me--but click the below & it should work for you. If the below doesn't work you probably have some computer problems.

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - The New York Times

Last edited:
Canada, too, has begun privatizing portions of their health care system. Hmmmm....I wonder why?

The very people who are so strongly advocating nationalized health care will be the ones crying about it the most once we have it.
It does make one wonder why universal health care is thought to be so wonderful when countries with socialized medicine make the jump to privatized medicine so quickly.

Both of you are full of shit. Canada has not privatized their health program, it is exactly the same as it has been. What they've changed is the ability for people to take on EXTRA coverage for things that aren't provided by the national system.

As far as rationing... It's simple. Medicare pays more for the LAST year of life than it pays for the all other years combined. The simple fact is not that we need to look at what procedures are likely to give years of good life and which are likely to give a few days or weeks. It's not rocket science. If a surgery costs $20k it better be buying more than a few days or weeks.

Okay, I stand corrected.

But what isn't being provided by the national health care system in Canada that would make people want to seek EXTRA coverage? And if Canada's national health care system hasn't changed and never provided this coverage, what caused them to change and now give people the ability to get this coverage through the private sector?

It does make one wonder why universal health care is thought to be so wonderful when countries with socialized medicine make the jump to privatized medicine so quickly.

Both of you are full of shit. Canada has not privatized their health program, it is exactly the same as it has been. What they've changed is the ability for people to take on EXTRA coverage for things that aren't provided by the national system.

As far as rationing... It's simple. Medicare pays more for the LAST year of life than it pays for the all other years combined. The simple fact is not that we need to look at what procedures are likely to give years of good life and which are likely to give a few days or weeks. It's not rocket science. If a surgery costs $20k it better be buying more than a few days or weeks.

Okay, I stand corrected.

But what isn't being provided by the national health care system in Canada that would make people want to seek EXTRA coverage? And if Canada's national health care system hasn't changed and never provided this coverage, what caused them to change and now give people the ability to get this coverage through the private sector?

I deal with a lot of Canadians in business & their primary complaint about their health care is the time it takes to get needed surgery. They say they can go to a doctor any time, anywhere--for common flu symptons. But if you need surgery to remove a cancerous tumor or heart surgery you're put on a waiting list. Because of that many Canadians opt to come to the United States for these type of surgeries.

As far as your medicare statement: It is 100% correct. The older we get the more surgeries that need to be done. At the same time--you're never going to get anyone to agree not to give an older person a necessary surgery--even if means only prolonging their lives for a few days or weeks.

Where we can make an immediate impact on health care--is if we can keep people with no health insurance out of our expensive emergency rooms. This by giving incentives to all pharmacy locations--Walgreens--Rite Aid--Walmart to keep in house nurse practitioners in their locations for walk-in people with flu symptons. People coming in would pay a fee--& the indigent would be covered by state medicade programs as they are now. That would put a huge dent in one of the problems regarding health care in this country.

Okay, I stand corrected.

I deal with a lot of Canadians in business & their primary complaint about their health care is the time it takes to get needed surgery. They say they can go to a doctor any time, anywhere--for common flu symptons. But if you need surgery to remove a cancerous tumor or heart surgery you're put on a waiting list. Because of that many Canadians opt to come to the United States for these type of surgeries.

As far as your medicare statement: It is 100% correct. The older we get the more surgeries that need to be done. At the same time--you're never going to get anyone to agree not to give an older person a necessary surgery--even if means only prolonging their lives for a few days or weeks.

Where we can make an immediate impact on health care--is if we can keep people with no health insurance out of our expensive emergency rooms. This by giving incentives to all pharmacy locations--Walgreens--Rite Aid--Walmart to keep in house nurse practitioners in their locations for walk-in people with flu symptons. People coming in would pay a fee--& the indigent would be covered by state medicade programs as they are now. That would put a huge dent in one of the problems regarding health care in this country.

I like your idea with the pharmacies. I'm lucky enough to live near a college walk in clinic that also serves the community, so cold/flu symptoms... I just go get my Rx and it's very affordable and fast. It also doesn't clog up the ER. Not all communities are so lucky and your idea would certainly go a long way in the right direction.

Oreo:

Doesn't seem like a system to model after then, does it?

Okay, I stand corrected.

Cosmetics, uncovered stuff like scooters for fat asses. Things that aren't really "necessary" but still offer a better quality of life. The wait lists with surgeries is not quite as bad as some make it out. Even in the US if you need bypass you don't usually get it today. You get on the surgeon's schedule. My grandmother had this done last fall, she waited nearly a week.

The problem there is with shortage of medical staff. We are not teaching enough future doctors, nurses and medical professionals to keep up with our aging population. For too long we've mitigated this by importing staff, but that's becoming more difficult as other countries are beginning to wake up and realize that they need doctors and nurses too. Nursing was something I tried to get into a few years ago and even with a very good previous college GPA and good scores on admission tests I was still going to be wait listed for about a year.... wait listed when we have a massive nursing shortage!?

Waiting lists for elective orthopedic surgeries.

Entire bureaucracies dedicated to the navel contemplation of the inevitable waiting lists government rationed healthcare brings.

Barack Obama will reduce the number of doctors with no more consideration than reducing the number of Chrysler car dealerships. And the drones will line up to laud his cost cutting efforts.

Okay, I stand corrected.

Cosmetics, uncovered stuff like scooters for fat asses. Things that aren't really "necessary" but still offer a better quality of life. The wait lists with surgeries is not quite as bad as some make it out. Even in the US if you need bypass you don't usually get it today. You get on the surgeon's schedule. My grandmother had this done last fall, she waited nearly a week.

The problem there is with shortage of medical staff. We are not teaching enough future doctors, nurses and medical professionals to keep up with our aging population. For too long we've mitigated this by importing staff, but that's becoming more difficult as other countries are beginning to wake up and realize that they need doctors and nurses too. Nursing was something I tried to get into a few years ago and even with a very good previous college GPA and good scores on admission tests I was still going to be wait listed for about a year.... wait listed when we have a massive nursing shortage!?

We already have more than enough doctors in this country. In fact, we have more per population than any other country in the world. What we have a shortage of is nursing staff. My daughter is a nurse practitioner. To get into nursing school as an RN your grades in science/biology have got to be very high. Yes-there are some waiting lists at certain levels.

But this shortage in nursing has absolutely nothing to do with medical insurance costs.

Last edited:
You're right! But, they're in no way the majority of households in this country. Many of the ones that find themselves loosing their jobs today--are forced into a situation where their credit card debt is exploding--WHY? Because of our government's incompetent management of Fannie/Freddie.

I'll be damned.... And how long has Fannie/Freddie BEEN under incompetent management? Which party took control of Congress in 2007? And while we're at it, why didn't that Congress do something about the stranglehold the credit card companies/banks had on the consumers until now? Did they approve of usury until Obama was elected?

I really don't know how long you have been on this board? But you might want to take the time to inform yourself on facts--before making a claim as you just did. Here's a good start.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html.

Thanks ever soooo much!

Page Not Found

Now, I'd suggest that before you start questioning the length of time that posters have been on THIS board, you check your references before attempting to present them as FACTS!

The prior link worked for me--but click the below & it should work for you. If the below doesn't work you probably have some computer problems.

Had a feelin' that was what you were going for before even attempting to open it the first time -- just from the descrip read in the first link offered. See... I have that little gem tucked away for safe keeping, so why you would use it as some extraordinary "proof" of ignorance or facts on my part is beyond me.

Just exactly how / where does this particular article prove that Fannie/Freddie had competent management at the time?

You're right! But, they're in no way the majority of households in this country. Many of the ones that find themselves loosing their jobs today--are forced into a situation where their credit card debt is exploding--WHY? Because of our government's incompetent management of Fannie/Freddie.

Thanks ever soooo much!

Page Not Found

Had a feelin' that was what you were going for before even attempting to open it the first time -- just from the descrip read in the first link offered. See... I have that little gem tucked away for safe keeping, so why you would use it as some extraordinary "proof" of ignorance or facts on my part is beyond me.

Just exactly how / where does this particular article prove that Fannie/Freddie had competent management at the time? I'd love to see it. Particularly since this excerpt seems to indicate just the opposite.

In a move that could help increase home ownership rates among minorities and low-income consumers, the Fannie Mae Corporation is easing the credit requirements on loans that it will purchase from banks and other lenders.

The action, which will begin as a pilot program involving 24 banks in 15 markets -- including the New York metropolitan region -- will encourage those banks to extend home mortgages to individuals whose credit is generally not good enough to qualify for conventional loans. Fannie Mae officials say they hope to make it a nationwide program by next spring.

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.

In addition, banks, thrift institutions and mortgage companies have been pressing Fannie Mae to help them make more loans to so-called subprime borrowers. These borrowers whose incomes, credit ratings and savings are not good enough to qualify for conventional loans, can only get loans from finance companies that charge much higher interest rates -- anywhere from three to four percentage points higher than conventional loans.

''Fannie Mae has expanded home ownership for millions of families in the 1990's by reducing down payment requirements,'' said Franklin D. Raines, Fannie Mae's chairman and chief executive officer. ''Yet there remain too many borrowers whose credit is just a notch below what our underwriting has required who have been relegated to paying significantly higher mortgage rates in the so-called subprime market.''

Demographic information on these borrowers is sketchy. But at least one study indicates that 18 percent of the loans in the subprime market went to black borrowers, compared to 5 per cent of loans in the conventional loan market.

In moving, even tentatively, into this new area of lending, Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's.

''From the perspective of many people, including me, this is another thrift industry growing up around us,'' said Peter Wallison a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. ''If they fail, the government will have to step up and bail them out the way it stepped up and bailed out the thrift industry.''

Oh, and I really wasn't planning on bringing this up, (not focusing on the past and all) but while you're at it, you might want to explain to our readers how this was a Clinton initiative....

Forum List

Back