Obama "we cant wait"/ bypass congress plan is helping him in the polls

About Health care law: We can't afford not to pass this law.

Stimulus: We can't wait!

How about the Jobs bill: Pass this bill now!

About Cap & Trade: Time to act is now!

Then you realize, that health care is much more expensive then they said, that car companies won't return stimulus money, that there are Solyndra and alike, still no jobs... and that all that is somehow still fault of people who voted against, and it's still Bush fault, of course.

obama073.jpg

Very true. However the house has offered plans that most of the public don't know about because only Obama has the bully pulpit. Our party is doing a terrible job promoting their legislation to the public at large giving the false appearance that only Obama is trying.
The only plans the GOP has in Congress is to block all attempts at economic recovery until after the 2012 election just as they have done for over a year. It makes no sense whatsoever for the GOP to push legislation that might help the economy in 2012. In fact, they state many times, there primary purpose is defeat the president. So if your hurting economically, you just got to wait.

Their proposals would result in job creation. They were shelved because Obama wants it his way. Reid is Obamas personal lap dog.
Then there should be some compromise. Yes, I know the Democrats refused to accommodate Republicans when they had full control and I'm sure if Republicans gain control in the next election, they will do likewise. Each party steers the country in one direction. Then control shifts and we go in opposite direction. In other words, we go to the left then to right and end up going nowhere.

We play this political game in which there is only good and evil. Our side is of course the good side. We claim all good events are cause by our our side and all bad events are caused by the opposition. This wins elections. The problem is we actually start to believe it.

There's one more thing. I wouldn't assume that Obama's improvement in the polls is entirely due to his "we can't wait" schtick, although doubtless part of it is. Obama is becoming more populist again in his rhetoric, correcting what I see as his post-2010 mistake. I think that's helping him, too, as I predicted it would.

One thing I know that not many on the right know, is that there was a fairly organized movement on the left to sit out the 2010 election in order to "send a message" to Democrats after their dismal performance in 2009-10. (For the record, I thought this a bad idea and argued against it.)

That's more than half of the reason why Republicans won last year's election. There was also an energizing of the GOP base due to the Tea Party movement, which was the rest of the explanation. Hardly anyone who voted for Obama in 2008 also voted Republican in 2010; there was no national move to the right. But Obama apparently bought into the narrative that the vote represented a reaction to Democratic overreach (when in reality it was a reaction to Democratic under-reach) and shifted to the right himself -- and his poll numbers dropped.

Now that the insurgency on the left has gone overt in the form of the Occupy movement, he appears to be abandoning that narrative and moving to the left -- and his approval rating is improving.

We are aware that your preferred style of government is communist. So you'll forgive me if I lean towards calling you a fucking idiot.

I don't understand why cons on this board respect you so much. From what I've seen, about 80% of your posts are substance-lacking and full of insults....hmmmm...actually, I do understand why cons on this board respect you so much.

Very true. However the house has offered plans that most of the public don't know about because only Obama has the bully pulpit. Our party is doing a terrible job promoting their legislation to the public at large giving the false appearance that only Obama is trying.
The only plans the GOP has in Congress is to block all attempts at economic recovery until after the 2012 election just as they have done for over a year. It makes no sense whatsoever for the GOP to push legislation that might help the economy in 2012. In fact, they state many times, there primary purpose is defeat the president. So if your hurting economically, you just got to wait.

Their proposals would result in job creation. They were shelved because Obama wants it his way. Reid is Obamas personal lap dog.

All the GOP is doing is proposing the same trickle-down, deregulation, tax cuts for the rich bills that they've been doing for the last 30 years. If Bush's tax cuts and deregulation haven't created any jobs in the last ten years, what makes you think it's going to work now?

There's one more thing. I wouldn't assume that Obama's improvement in the polls is entirely due to his "we can't wait" schtick, although doubtless part of it is. Obama is becoming more populist again in his rhetoric, correcting what I see as his post-2010 mistake. I think that's helping him, too, as I predicted it would.

One thing I know that not many on the right know, is that there was a fairly organized movement on the left to sit out the 2010 election in order to "send a message" to Democrats after their dismal performance in 2009-10. (For the record, I thought this a bad idea and argued against it.)

That's more than half of the reason why Republicans won last year's election. There was also an energizing of the GOP base due to the Tea Party movement, which was the rest of the explanation. Hardly anyone who voted for Obama in 2008 also voted Republican in 2010; there was no national move to the right. But Obama apparently bought into the narrative that the vote represented a reaction to Democratic overreach (when in reality it was a reaction to Democratic under-reach) and shifted to the right himself -- and his poll numbers dropped.

Now that the insurgency on the left has gone overt in the form of the Occupy movement, he appears to be abandoning that narrative and moving to the left -- and his approval rating is improving.

We are aware that your preferred style of government is communist. So you'll forgive me if I lean towards calling you a fucking idiot.

I don't understand why cons on this board respect you so much. From what I've seen, about 80% of your posts are substance-lacking and full of insults....hmmmm...actually, I do understand why cons on this board respect you so much.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? And by the way, where was the "substance" in your post?

All the GOP is doing is proposing the same trickle-down, deregulation, tax cuts for the rich bills that they've been doing for the last 30 years. If Bush's tax cuts and deregulation haven't created any jobs in the last ten years, what makes you think it's going to work now?

We were around 5% unemployment during most of Bushs terms. I think the cuts did their job very well. To assume higher taxes would help create jobs is obsurd. I say we need a flat tax to spark tremendous growth. Something around which tax payers and businesses alike could form stable plans for the future. Gimmicky one time cuts or credits like the ones Obama has proposed provide 0 stability for future growth.

We were around 5% unemployment during most of Bushs terms. I think the cuts did their job very well. To assume higher taxes would help create jobs is obsurd. I say we need a flat tax to spark tremendous growth. Something around which tax payers and businesses alike could form stable plans for the future. Gimmicky one time cuts or credits like the ones Obama has proposed provide 0 stability for future growth.
These Gimmicky stimulus plans are political maneuvers. Obama knows quite well there is nothing he can propose that would make it through Congress. Once the conservatives got control of the House, any legislation to help the economy was DOA.

These Gimmicky stimulus plans are political maneuvers. Obama knows quite well there is nothing he can propose that would make it through Congress. Once the conservatives got control of the House, any legislation to help the economy was DOA.
Correct.

And now Obama’s playing the political game the GOP set up. The problem is: Obama is appearing responsible, even ‘presidential,’ while the GOP is looking partisan, petty, and foolish.

Correct.

And now Obama’s playing the political game the GOP set up. The problem is: Obama is appearing responsible, even ‘presidential,’ while the GOP is looking partisan, petty, and foolish.

Again we nearly agree. That's twice in one day.

Anyhow I believe both parties have ideas they think are right. The problem I have is my party isn't pushing their ideas enough to the public. Obama is on tv everyday promoting the so called do nothing congress and we counter with what? A five minute interview on the nightly news? That's not gonna cut it. We need to get out in front of this divide and put our case out there for the Americans to decide who's got the better plan. Simply letting shit die in the senate and then pointing to the democrats isn't gonna win us any elections.

Bush created about 3 million jobs during an 8 year period (22million for Clinton). During that same period, we went from a surplus to a record deficit. You tell me how much those tax cuts helped spur job growth and improve the economy.

Bush created about 3 million jobs during an 8 year period (22million for Clinton). During that same period, we went from a surplus to a record deficit. You tell me how much those tax cuts helped spur job growth and improve the economy.

as far as I can tell our economy didn't need spurred. My business was absolutely booming all through Bushs term. The cuts became the norm and when the economy tanked what was considered the norm of course had no impact. Tax cuts don't have a lasting stimulative effect beyond the first few years.

Course I'm sure you knew that and were just hoping I didn't.

as far as I can tell our economy didn't need spurred. My business was absolutely booming all through Bushs term. The cuts became the norm and when the economy tanked what was considered the norm of course had no impact. Tax cuts don't have a lasting stimulative effect beyond the first few years.

Course I'm sure you knew that and were just hoping I didn't.
True, the economy during the Bush years certainly didn't need stimulus. The three most important tools for economy stimulus, interest rate cuts, increased government spending, and tax cuts were wasted during the Bush years. When we really needed stimulus in 2008 and 2009, they were pretty well used up. When Obama took office the Fed funds rates had been driven down to .25%. With Tarp, the deficit was nearing a trillion dollars, making it impossible to pass the 1.5 trillion dollar government job program economists were recommending. The high deficit and low taxes passed under Bush made more tax cuts impractical.

The government use of fiscal and monetary policy to insure growth, low inflation, and low unemployment leaves much to be desired. When the economy is growing with relatively low unemployment, the government should be cutting back on spending and pushing interest rates and taxes up to slow growth and inflation. When the economy heads south, the tools needed by government to stimulate the economy will be there.

I'm not really believing Bush's UE numbers. Lots of people were fired from jobs, not because the economy was bad but because either the jobs moved overseas or companies wanted to show profit.

Quinnipiac poll

Approve 47% Nov 2nd 41% Oct 6th
Disapprove 49% Nov 2nd 55% Oct 6th

Just as I thought, this plan would help him. And as I stated before.....

THE DAMN RNC BETTER GET BUSY AND RUN SOME DAMN ADS EXPLAINING THE GOP HAS PASSED LEGISLATION THAT WOULD HELP US IF HARRY REID WASN'T SITTING ON HIS HANDS.

If the RNC doesn't do their fucking job and promote our party while countering Obamas bs we WILL lose this race before it begins.

except that the GOP hasn't done anything to help working people. their first priority is beating the president.

how's that working for you guys?

Forum List

Back