Obama "we cant wait"/ bypass congress plan is helping him in the polls

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grampa Murked U, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    Quinnipiac poll

Approve 47% Nov 2nd 41% Oct 6th
    Disapprove 49% Nov 2nd 55% Oct 6th

Just as I thought, this plan would help him. And as I stated before.....

THE DAMN RNC BETTER GET BUSY AND RUN SOME DAMN ADS EXPLAINING THE GOP HAS PASSED LEGISLATION THAT WOULD HELP US IF HARRY REID WASN'T SITTING ON HIS HANDS.

If the RNC doesn't do their fucking job and promote our party while countering Obamas bs we WILL lose this race before it begins.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Some people want a King, they just are scared to say it.

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    No, they just recognize that we're in a pit and they want the government to do something about it.

4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    Worked for Truman. The Reps are going to have to do something or Obama will tar the candidate with their inaction, even if he wasn't in Congress, just like Dewey.

5. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    Very true. However the house has offered plans that most of the public don't know about because only Obama has the bully pulpit. Our party is doing a terrible job promoting their legislation to the public at large giving the false appearance that only Obama is trying.

6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,637
    You mean a Dick Tater.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,426
    What Obama is doing is an abuse of Executive Orders. He wasn't elected to be a monarch.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I honestly don't think it would help much if the public did know, Gramps. The legislation that has passed the House, when it had anything to do with the economy, has consisted of same-old-same-old: tax cuts for the rich, deregulation, union-busting. Right-wing economic theory may see that as a way to "create jobs," but common sense doesn't, and the polls show that most people don't want that sort of thing.

Plus it was poorly-designed legislation in that only an idiot would have expected it to get past the Senate, so either the House Republicans are all idiots, which I doubt, or they were passing bills only to appeal to the GOP base, not for the purpose of making law. That still amounts to doing nothing of substance.

9. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    What abuse? Congress already gave their OK for anything he's done. Please, give an example of how he's acting unilaterally.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    There's one more thing. I wouldn't assume that Obama's improvement in the polls is entirely due to his "we can't wait" schtick, although doubtless part of it is. Obama is becoming more populist again in his rhetoric, correcting what I see as his post-2010 mistake. I think that's helping him, too, as I predicted it would.

One thing I know that not many on the right know, is that there was a fairly organized movement on the left to sit out the 2010 election in order to "send a message" to Democrats after their dismal performance in 2009-10. (For the record, I thought this a bad idea and argued against it.)

That's more than half of the reason why Republicans won last year's election. There was also an energizing of the GOP base due to the Tea Party movement, which was the rest of the explanation. Hardly anyone who voted for Obama in 2008 also voted Republican in 2010; there was no national move to the right. But Obama apparently bought into the narrative that the vote represented a reaction to Democratic overreach (when in reality it was a reaction to Democratic under-reach) and shifted to the right himself -- and his poll numbers dropped.

Now that the insurgency on the left has gone overt in the form of the Occupy movement, he appears to be abandoning that narrative and moving to the left -- and his approval rating is improving.