Obama wants to wean us from oil and make us dependent on green

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Specifically, the rare earths that are needed to make green energy work.

Prices of some rare earth metals have doubled in just three weeks amid heavy stockpiling in China that has raised fears over global supplies. China produces more than 90 per cent of the world’s rare earths, 17 elements used in hybrid cars, fluorescent lights and many high-tech applications. … Japan and the US, the world’s biggest importers of rare earths, have repeatedly voiced concerns to China, while complaints from industrial users of rare earths have been growing. Last year, China cut their exports by 40 per cent and temporarily banned exports to Japan during a political dispute.

FT.com / Commodities - Rare earth prices soar as China stocks up

I expect to wake up one day and find we have gone to war with China over lithium. Will that be more humane than going to war over oil?

I think you are confused. It is the Saudis that want us dependent on oil. Here's a quote:

"We don't want the West to go and find alternatives, because, clearly, the higher the price of oil goes, the more they have incentives to go and find alternatives," said Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, who is listed by Forbes as the 26th richest man in the world.

Saudi prince calls for lower oil prices to keep U.S. dependent

Prices of some rare earth metals have doubled in just three weeks amid heavy stockpiling in China that has raised fears over global supplies. China produces more than 90 per cent of the world’s rare earths, 17 elements used in hybrid cars, fluorescent lights and many high-tech applications. … Japan and the US, the world’s biggest importers of rare earths, have repeatedly voiced concerns to China, while complaints from industrial users of rare earths have been growing. Last year, China cut their exports by 40 per cent and temporarily banned exports to Japan during a political dispute.

I expect to wake up one day and find we have gone to war with China over lithium. Will that be more humane than going to war over oil?

You bring up an interesting point, and then make it complete nonsense by claiming that they are running out due to "green energy".

Nearly every field of science requires rare earth elements. The "green" applications of them are tiny comparatively.

I think you are confused. It is the Saudis that want us dependent on oil. Here's a quote:

"We don't want the West to go and find alternatives, because, clearly, the higher the price of oil goes, the more they have incentives to go and find alternatives," said Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, who is listed by Forbes as the 26th richest man in the world.

Saudi prince calls for lower oil prices to keep U.S. dependent

I said Obama wants to wean us from oil, how does that make me confused? Is it because I understand that every action has consequences?

You bring up an interesting point, and then make it complete nonsense by claiming that they are running out due to "green energy".

Nearly every field of science requires rare earth elements. The "green" applications of them are tiny comparatively.

Never said it wasn't, but the intent is to change that.

Where did you get that from?

More rare earth elements go into ipods then hybrid cars.

Last edited:

Have you been living under a rock since Obama started running for president?

Obama administration wants to expand clean energy manufacturing tax credits | Apollo Alliance: Clean Energy & Good Jobs

If we start expanding green energy there will be less rare earths available for other things.

Obama administration wants to expand clean energy manufacturing tax credits | Apollo Alliance: Clean Energy & Good Jobs

If we start expanding green energy there will be less rare earths available for other things.

You know that "rare earths" aren't actually that "rare", right?

Some are as common as copper.

You are attempting to link "rare earths" to fossil fuels - a foolish thing to begin with, because rare earths go into making batteries and florescent lights, not powering them. At the end of the life of a light bulb, there's exactly as much "rare earth" elements in it as there were when the lightbulb was made. They're not consumed.

It's like saying building cars is causing a shortage of steel or iron.

Last edited:
yes and since the price has submarined apparently no one is picking up the slack,and they are probably running thru their inventory, copper is very widely used in manufacturing processes....

You are attempting to link "rare earths" to fossil fuels - a foolish thing to begin with, because rare earths go into making batteries and florescent lights, not powering them. At the end of the life of a light bulb, there's exactly as much "rare earth" elements in it as there were when the lightbulb was made. They're not consumed.

China has cut its export of all those not so rare earths by 40%, which impacted the global prices. The fact is that most of the rare earths that are needed for high tech green energy are not readily available in the United States. Moving us to an energy economy based on green energy will just shift us from being dependent on foreign oil, of which we get about 15% from the Middle East, to us being dependent on foreign rare earths, which China is already hoarding.

But thanks for proving that simple logic is a bit complicated for you. Instead of addressing the facts you keep whining about me not understanding the issues, and keep changing the issues you think I do not understand.

Price of rare earth elements, which Alaska has in abundance, are skyrocketing | Alaska Dispatch

GIRDWOOD -- Policymakers have been worrying for some time that China, which produces and supplies 97 percent of the world’s rare earth elements, has been artificially inflating the price of REEs by cutting back on production. According to the India-based Business Standard, China has “clamped on mining and cut export quotas, boosting prices and sparking concerns among overseas users like Japan.”

A recent report by Industrial Minerals, a Canada-based mining industry publication, confirms that prices of REEs have been skyrocketing. Some elements have risen a staggering 142 percent, according to the report.

The cost of dysprosium oxide, used in magnets, lasers and nuclear reactors, for example, has risen to about $1,470 a kilogram from $700 to $740 at the start of the month.

Enter Alaska. A prospective mine at Bokan Mountain near Ketchikan, to name just one, is thought to be one of the three largest sources of REEs in the U.S., probably the largest for dysprosium.

All told, Bokan Mountain is thought to hold about 3.8 million tons of REEs. As U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski put it, "more than enough to break China's stranglehold on the market and protect America's access to the rare earths that are vital to the production of cutting-edge technologies in this country."

Alaska Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Dan Sullivan recently delivered to a U.S. House subcommittee last week in testimony on a couple of pieces of legislation aimed at finding and developing REEs. Read Alaska Dispatch coverage of his testimony here. And more coverage on REEs here, and here.

There’s been some buzz about investing in Alaska’s REEs at the Arctic Imperative Conference, taking place now until June 21. Check back for updates.

I would certainly rather be dependent on the sun or wind for energy than oil or natural gas. Given China's enviromental crisis and looming food shortages, they should be willing to trade rare earths for food. It's Economics 101 - you trade what you have for what you don't.

Perhaps we need to be broadning the scope of where we look for the rare earths. Has to be more than one way to skin this cat.

ScienceDirect - Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta : Rare earth precipitation and coprecipitation behavior: The limiting role of PO43− on dissolved rare earth concentrations in seawater

Rare earth precipitation and coprecipitation behavior: The limiting role of PO43− on dissolved rare earth concentrations in seawater
Purchase
$ 39.95

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Robert H Byrnea and Ki-Hyun Kima

aDepartment of Marine Science, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, FL 33701, USA

Received 16 January 1992; accepted 28 July 1992. Available online 3 April 2003.

Abstract
Formation of rare earth phosphate coprecipitates, (ΣMi)PO4(s), may set limits on the maximum REE concentrations observed in seawater. Examination of rare earth phosphate solubility products, as well as oceanic {M3+} {PO43−} activity products, indicates that below approximately 300 m, the oceans are at saturation with respect to fresh rare earth phosphate coprecipitates and supersaturated with respect to aged coprecipitates. Removal of REEs from seawater through formation of mixed REE precipitates, (ΣMi)PO4(s), influences REE solution concentrations in a manner which closely resembles scavenging (adsorptive removal from solution). Laboratory observations demonstrate that rare earth coprecipitation preserves the odd/even abundance pattern derived from source materials and enriches HREEs in solution compared to the LREEs. Our observations indicate that phosphate and carbonate concentrations, in addition to pH, should be considered as essential parameters requisite to an understanding of environmental rare earth distributions.

China has cut its export of all those not so rare earths by 40%, which impacted the global prices. The fact is that most of the rare earths that are needed for high tech green energy are not readily available in the United States. Moving us to an energy economy based on green energy will just shift us from being dependent on foreign oil, of which we get about 15% from the Middle East, to us being dependent on foreign rare earths, which China is already hoarding. But thanks for proving that simple logic is a bit complicated for you. Instead of addressing the facts you keep whining about me not understanding the issues, and keep changing the issues you think I do not understand.

Is it so hard for you to make a post without your internal kindergartener coming out?

No, YOU'RE THE POOPY HEAD!!!

Last edited:
Here in arizona..and i know this is totally local.....we need to look more into solar energy. This entire area should be run on solar energy and the cost should be much much cheaper for it.

I want to make my home solar powered but you need a lot of front money in order to get the rebates. It sucks.

This entire city should be run on solar power.

China has cut its export of all those not so rare earths by 40%, which impacted the global prices. The fact is that most of the rare earths that are needed for high tech green energy are not readily available in the United States. Moving us to an energy economy based on green energy will just shift us from being dependent on foreign oil, of which we get about 15% from the Middle East, to us being dependent on foreign rare earths, which China is already hoarding. But thanks for proving that simple logic is a bit complicated for you. Instead of addressing the facts you keep whining about me not understanding the issues, and keep changing the issues you think I do not understand.

Is it so hard for you to make a post without your internal kindergartener to come out?

No, YOU'RE THE POOPY HEAD!!!

:clap2:

Laugh my balls off...........tell the people of Spain about rare earth elements!!! You'd get your teeth knocked in s0n!!!

They bought the green economy BS 20 years ago and now can boast of the highest unemployment rate of any modern nation. For every green job, Spain's economy lost 2 conventional energy jobs.

No elaboration needed!!!:up:

The Van Jones' of the world can go scratch..........their shit doesnt work in the real world. Give them the keys to the store and you end up with whopping misery indexes like we are seeing now.........highest in 28 years.:oops:

Forum List

Back