Obama wants to tax coal, oil and natural gas out of use

democrats never meet a profit that wasn't windfall.
The oil industry pays more to the governemnt than any other industry. Kill economically ignorant democrats.

What exactly is the fixation with higher gasoline prices? They will fluxuate regardless of U.S. energy policy. Gas prices are secondary to the importance of the health of the petroleum industry as a whole.

I'm all for increasing federal taxes on gasoline in order to raise government revenues and reduce demand.

But thanks Sgt for bringing up the subject.

The story mentions a $15 billion "windfall profits" tax on oil. But it fails to address the over $40 billion in taxes the government intends to collect by cutting the rug out from under the oil and gas businesses in this country by way of retracting long-standing tax provisions.

If we want to raise revenues and decrease demand, then slap a tariff on imported oil. Don't conjur some fucked up policy that will first and foremost penalize U.S. oil companies.

Who's doing all the drilling in the U.S.? Independents. They drill over 80% of the wells in this country. Not "big oil".

yes, but the rub here is congress are cowards.

Europe has much higher gasoline/diesel prices becasue they are taxed at a much higher rate.

If congress wanted to create ( in their minds) an aversion to unnecessary driving and encourage people to conserve etc. there by saving using less, not polluting as much and lower our dependence on foreign petroleum products, they could always just grow a pair and legislate it.

BUT they don't want to take the political fallout, so they use end runs ala class warfare etc.

And, 'windfall' profits......ahhhh yes, the cool fresh breeze of a 'windfall'..like the money fell out of the sky on some fluffy pink cloud.Unreal.

I am a Democrat because I believe in the environment and conservation. For instance, we must raise the price of gasoline, like they do in Europe, to increase conservation. If we don't, there will soon be a big gas shortage, and this will mean higher gasoline prices for you and me.

I am a Democrat because I believe in the environment and conservation. For instance, we must raise the price of gasoline, like they do in Europe, to increase conservation. If we don't, there will soon be a big gas shortage, and this will mean higher gasoline prices for you and me.

Raise the price of gasolilne to avoid higher gasoline prices? Spoken like a true Democrat. :D

Raise the price of gasolilne to avoid higher gasoline prices? Spoken like a true Democrat. :D
Indeed. :lol: You see, Democrats don't mind the government making a lot of money off of gas, but they hate it when teh eeeevil KKKorporations do.

Note to the Left:

There is as yet no Magic Energy that will replace fossil fuels. It's amazingly short-sighted and stupid to prevent their use until economical, scalable alternatives are found.

So stop it.

actually that isn't true. There are economical, scalable alternatives. They just aren't as profitable to exploit as fossil fuels are.

For example the solar panels removed from the WH produced hot water instead of electricity and they are still more efficient than photovoltaic cells. And they are used everywhere in Israel, provide 30% of China's hot water and are extremely quick to return their initial investment costs, like 2.5 years.

Note to the Left:

There is as yet no Magic Energy that will replace fossil fuels. It's amazingly short-sighted and stupid to prevent their use until economical, scalable alternatives are found.

So stop it.

Breeder reactors will. At this point it is an infrastructure issue. That's why I'm in favor of opening drilling in all area of the US, taxing the revenues, and investing in building more Nuclear reactors and the infrastructure to distribute the energy.

Wind, Ethanol, Hydroelectric, solar, etc are all pipe dreams. The only other valid source beyond fossil fuels and nuclear is geothermal, and there are serious questions about the cost efficiency on that one.

Note to the Left:

So stop it.

actually that isn't true. There are economical, scalable alternatives. They just aren't as profitable to exploit as fossil fuels are.

For example the solar panels removed from the WH produced hot water instead of electricity and they are still more efficient than photovoltaic cells. And they are used everywhere in Israel, provide 30% of China's hot water and are extremely quick to return their initial investment costs, like 2.5 years.
And what percentage of the electricity currently produced by fossil fuels goes to hot water production?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying alternatives shouldn't be explored and exploited. But penalizing the use of fossil fuels before an alternative is in place is a tremendously bad idea.

Note to the Left:

So stop it.

Breeder reactors will. At this point it is an infrastructure issue. That's why I'm in favor of opening drilling in all area of the US, taxing the revenues, and investing in building more Nuclear reactors and the infrastructure to distribute the energy.

Wind, Ethanol, Hydroelectric, solar, etc are all pipe dreams. The only other valid source beyond fossil fuels and nuclear is geothermal, and there are serious questions about the cost efficiency on that one.
I agree nuclear is the only viable option. But the Left will not allow it; they want the pipe dreams.

Note to the Left:

So stop it.
How comical....watching stodgey-ol'-conservatives TRYING to adapt to an ever Changing U.S. economy....as-opposed-to holding all the Aces in the only-game-in-town!!!!

judgment_day_terror.jpg

529.gif
529.gif
529.gif
528.gif

"Gas production may average a record 62.32 billion cubic feet a day this year, according to the Energy Department.

The government “expects near-record-high inventories to continue through most of 2011,” the Energy Department said in its monthly Short-Term Energy Outlook on Feb. 8.

Hydroelectric generation will rise to 702 million kilowatt- hours per day this year from 696 million last year, the Energy Department said in the monthly report. Hydroelectric plants supply about 6.4 percent of U.S. electricity demand.

“Hydropower compounds gas’s bearish outlook,” said Horwitz, who estimated that 1 billion cubic feet a day of gas demand may be displaced by hydropower."

Forum List

Back