Obama wants to solve Iranian nuke problem 'permanently'

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
US President Barack Obama intends to tell Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in their upcoming meeting that he wants to solve the Iranian nuclear problem "permanently, as opposed to temporarily."

In an interview with The Atlantic released on Friday, Obama said, "Our argument is going to be that it is important for us to see if we can solve this thing permanently, as opposed to temporarily."

He continued, "The only way historically that a country has ultimately decided not to get nuclear weapons without constant military intervention has been when they themselves take [nuclear weapons] off the table. That's what happened in Libya, that's what happened in South Africa."

According to The Atlantic, Obama was concerned that a premature Israeli strike on Iran would make the regime less isolated.

"At a time when there is not a lot of sympathy for Iran and its only real ally, [Syria,] is on the ropes, do we want a distraction in which suddenly Iran can portray itself as a victim?" the President rhetorically asked.

Trying to shore up the US commitment to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapons, Obama said, "I think that the Israeli government recognizes that, as president of the United States, I don't bluff."

Obama wants to solve Iranian nuke proble... JPost - International

Of course, with respect to the ME, all he does is bluff. He talks tough, runs into a little opposition and backs down. This is why his credibility is so low among the Israelis, the Iranians and the Arabs.

But what is it he imagines he's not bluffing about? He has never defined at what point he will stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons or what might trigger the use of US military force. Keeping in mind that he initially opposed the tough Iran sanctions Congress forced on him, it appears that left on his own he has no policy regarding Iran's efforts to acquire nuclear weapons, just tough talk no one takes seriously.

Ohhhh obama is going to persuade them to just never have nuclear weapons! No wonder Bibi considers him a fool. By use of impressive oratory, the big o will use "the voice" to tell Iran to be nice and they will do it.

Forum List

Back