Obama wants to expand power to ignore Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    'As long as is necessary' terror bill - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Hope and Change, just keep repeating, Hope and Change

Funny think, if Holder wasn't so keen on reading terrorists their Miranda rights he could question them under exceptions that already exist. Instead they want to question them and still use that evidence against them.

2. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Only a buffoon truly believes the CIA is doing things any differently today than they did 3 years ago. The only change , and maybe this hasn't even changed, is that they no longer inform the President of their methods.

3. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    not sure how the op can link this directly to obama's admin.....

need some more....than an oped

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    a congressman introduce a bill... the O/P has no idea what obama thinks of it and the thread title is a lie.

nice!

and glad the o/p is all worried about the constitution' but in the same breath states he doesn't give a rats patoot about the 4th amendment.

pathetic...

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    On one hand, the Miranda "right" is as of questionable merit as that of the Roe decision.

OTOH, it's completely in character for the current empire to cherry pick which constitutional precepts and accepted *ahem* case law that they're going to recognize and those which they'll ignore.

But they're not authoritarian, or despotic, or anything like that. :rolleyes:

6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,898
    Don't forget "pitiful".

7. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Now you KNOW without doubt that no bill of this magnitude is hitting the floor without the President's tacit approval. Seriously Jillian that is beneath you to suggest.

Also, I just don't see where in QW's post where he says the 4th Amendment doesn't matter. But I will say this. Why do you think Holder was suggesting stripping suspected terrorists of their US citizenship if they were so equipped. Why because he and Obama both know that depsite the crying from the loons when BOOOSH was in power, the 4th doesn't apply to non US citizens and so shipping their asses down to Guantanamo or some other unknown CIA station and "torturing" their asses is perfectly acceptable. So maybe you should question THEM about the 4th. While you're at it give them a ringy ding about Article 1 Section 8 and inform them that in fact the entire COTUS is available online if they haven't read it, which I don't think they have.

8. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    The OP has no idea what the Obama administration thinks of it? The OP doesn't care about the 4th Amendment?

While I concede I could be wrong about what the Obama administration thinks about this bill, I challenge you to show me anywhere I ever posted anything that shows less that full contempt for anyone restricting anyone's civil rights. I didn't like it when Bush did it, and I do not like it when Obama does it. That at least makes me consistent.

It seems to me you change your position based on who is in the White House.

9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Looking in a mirror again?

Do you think it is a good idea to strip someone of their Constitutional protection simply because a Democrat is in the White House instead of a Republican?

Oh wait, according to you Democrats never do anything like this. Only Republicans could possibly ever want to take away someone's civil rights simply because they are accused of a crime. How does your world look now that a Democrat is proposing a bill like this?

One of these days I should introduce you to the cosponsors of the USA PATRIOT Act.

10. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Nope, not at all, because they have good intentions.