Obama vs. the Supreme Court

Souter hates being on the court and was waiting for an opportunity to retire.

Ginzberg has been ill and also has been waiting for an opportunity to retire.

Stevens is 88 years old. It is unlikely he will be on the court for the full 2008 to 2012 presidential election.

And Breyer was appointed by Bill Clinton, I believe. He is 70 but I have heard nothing of him retiring.

And you can forget Roe v Wade being overturned now. If you overturn Roe, you have to overturn all of the right to privacy cases, and that simply will not happen now.

And THAT is one of the things Obama was elected for. And one of the reasons the states can't ever be trusted to handle this issue is because they simply don't protect women's rights. That's what the fed is for, to make sure that the same people who tried to keep blacks from going to "white" universities" can't make it illegal for women to make their own decisions.

so, what is Obama going to do, in your judgment, about these issues?

so, what is Obama going to do, in your judgment, about these issues?

He will do nothing about the issues themselves. It isn't his responsibility to do anything about the court decisions.

What he will do is appoint constitutional scholars. That should be sufficient to protect the right to privacy cases. I'd guess he'll look to the best of Clinton's appointees to the federal bench and to Harvard Law since that is where so many justices come from. Laurence Tribe might be a possibility. I'm not sure how old he is now. I suspect his appointees will be relatively young as Bush's were. Youmight look to Kimba Wood, of the southern district of new york (she swore me in when I was made a member of the bar of the SDNY, so I have a soft spot for her).

Ultimately, I suspect there are names I don't know of. But if he's smart, they'll be young and know their stuff...

people forget women were once no better than chattle in America, and that every decision of their existence was made for them like we do our dogs these days

but i'll tell you what, i'd like those of us that would like to decide for the entire gender of womanhood to also decide on pulbic school sex ed, community sex ed, and publicly accessible subsidzed birth control (without parental knowledge)

sorry but, kids like to f*** folks, you want them to pay the price for screwing up (freudian , i know...), then have the balls (gawd, i did it again!) to allow them to play nicey nice from the get go

I'm a liberal. I own guns. A lot of liberals do. There isn't going to be any banning of private ownership under Obama. That's more of the crap talk.

Obama is actually straddling the issue somewhat like the Bush Administration did when it filed a brief in the [D.C. gun] case last month. He does support individual rights, but says—and this is the qualifier--the government can impose reasonable restrictions on gun ownership. And he then suggests that pretty much any existing laws are reasonable.

We already have some. I don't advocate felons being able to own guns or private citizens having the right to own every kind of weapon available.

Many people voted against Obama because of his stances on abortion and gun rights. I would like to know what he would be capable of doing regarding these issues, considering the Supreme Court recently made rulings on both of them.

He has the power of the executive and that means the power to issue Excutive orders... He has the means to direct federal agencies to apply those orders...

The key to Hussein's position against the individual right to keep and bear arms is found in his rationalization that 'the government has the right to issue COMMON SENSE REGULATIONS...' Which includes increasing taxation on the sale of Firearms and ammunition by 500%... to prevent the ownership of MOST AMMUNITION COMMON TO TODAYS MOST PROLIFICI FIRE ARMS and so on.

Hussein is a Marxist, which means he's a LIAR... there's NOTHING he is not prepared to do to advance tyranny and oppression.

That is all that floppy eared Muslim is about...

What I find intersting is that when a person is trying to be confirmed for the Supreme Court, they say their person value system won't influence their decisions. They will base their decisions on the law and the constitution.

Bullshit. Lefties will interpret to their values and righties will interpret it to their value system.

If something is really right or wrong, my or your value system shouldn't change that.

Hussein is a Marxist, which means he's a LIAR... there's NOTHING he is not prepared to do to advance tyranny and oppression.

That is all that floppy eared Muslim is about...

And you are an irrational bigot and are about nothing but garbage talk. The sound and the fury signifying nothing.

And you can forget Roe v Wade being overturned now. If you overturn Roe, you have to overturn all of the right to privacy cases, and that simply will not happen now.

And THAT is one of the things Obama was elected for. And one of the reasons the states can't ever be trusted to handle this issue is because they simply don't protect women's rights. That's what the fed is for, to make sure that the same people who tried to keep blacks from going to "white" universities" can't make it illegal for women to make their own decisions.

Jillian.. Just curious.. do you think that men should be given the right to opt out of paying child support if the child was the result of an unplanned pregnancy?

And one of the reasons the states can't ever be trusted to handle this issue is because they simply don't protect women's rights.

And THAT friends is all one needs to know to understand why these people should NEVER BE ALLOWED WITHIN A HUNDRED MILES OF A VOTING BOOTH.

First, she feel that a woman has a RIGHT to kill her unborn children and presumably the right to kill her POST BORN CHILDREN IS THE CHILD SHE PLANNED ON ABORTING MANAGES TO SURVIVE AND IS BIRTHED...

Secondly, this position dismisses THE WOMAN'S RESPONSIBILITY TO NOT ENGAGE IN REPRODUCTIVE SEX UNTIL SHE IS PREPARED TO RAISE THE HUMAN BEING WHICH IS LIKELY TO BE CONCEIVED THROUGH THAT ACTIVITY.

So, as is always the case... the left is all ABOUT THE ENTITLEMENT... but simply can't get their severely limited intellect around the idea that rights come with responsibility...

I'm a liberal. I own guns. A lot of liberals do. There isn't going to be any banning of private ownership under Obama.

ROFLMNAO... He's voted for every gun grab that has EVER COME UP FOR CONSIDERATION IN HIS PRESENCE. Which is to say that he HAS NEVER VOTED FOR THE INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR FIREARMS...

But this is what one expects from a pathetic POGUE! (Pardon the redundancy)

ROFLMNAO... He's voted for every gun grab that has EVER COME UP FOR CONSIDERATION IN HIS PRESENCE. Which is to say that he HAS NEVER VOTED FOR THE INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR FIREARMS...

Got data, or just pogey bait?

Got data, or just pogey bait?

So you're denying that Hussein Obama has never voted against a piece of legislation which would restrict the means of the individual to own and use a firearm?

Just say the word Pogue... Just put it on the record that YOU KNOW HUSSEIN HAS VOTED TO LIBERALISE THE MEANS OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO DEFEND THEMSELVES, THEIR PROPERTY AND THE FAMILY THROUGH THE OWNERSHIP OF A FIRE ARM... PUT YOUR REPUTATION ON THE LINE HERE SIS.

You've already made it clear you support him... LETS SEE YOU STAND ON THAT SOLID BASIS OF FACTS AND LOGIC YOUR IMBECILES ARE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT...

JUST MAKE IT CLEAR HERE SKIPPY...

Forum List

Back