Obama Voted 'Present' on Mortgage Reform

look i'm not in favor of the bailout.

i actually wrote my republican rep a thank you note for voting against it.

but your analogy still stinks.

here's a little econ lesson for you.

the much haloed idea of efficient markets requires lots of assumption.

one of the biggest is perfect information.

in simple times where folks were trading cows in market, buyer beware might made perfect sense. Hell if your neighbor buys a shitty cow that was his decision right>?

but in 2008 you got to have the government involved to aid in information.

That is unless you like feeding your children dangerous food, driving unsafe autos, or having the government blow a trillion bucks on financial bailout.

The country will be truly fucked when a majority of people START claiming ignorance is a justifiable excuse. It goes back to the theme I've harped on a million times. Any favor you think you are doing for people by absolving them of personal responsibilty is no favor at all. If you teach people it is not their fault they were victimized when they are at least partially to blame for it, how will the learn not to repeat their mistakes in the future? It isn't asking too much of people to take a moment to consider whether they are buying more house than what they need and can afford.

Last edited:
:eusa_silenced:

Voting present is as much voting yes with reservations as it is voting no with reservations...
The PRESENT vote represents a exactly what it says.. "I'm here, but I'd rather not commit."

Yes you are Correct, Thanks for pointing that out, it can be a Yes or a No with reservations. Either way in this instance it didn't bother me that Obama voted Present (with reservations) on this issue. It seems all candidates have used the "Present" option, McCain voted "present" when the Senate voted in March 1998 to withhold state highway funding from states that failed to adopt a .08 blood-alcohol standard for drunken driving. So he he could have voted Yes or No, but he chose present because he had reservations at that time. Of course when either Candidate becomes President they won't have the luxary of "Present" anymore. I am no Politician myself so perhaps I don't always word things right .

Forum List

Back