Obama: Victory Not Goal in Afghanistan

Victory was NEVER the goal in Afghanistan.

Not even under Bush.

The real goal in Afghanistan has always been...............????????

Exactly what Obama said:

The enemy facing U.S. and Afghan forces isn’t so clearly defined, he explained.

"We’re not dealing with nation states at this point. We’re concerned with Al Qaeda and the Taliban, Al Qaeda’s allies," he said. "So when you have a non-state actor, a shadowy operation like Al Qaeda, our goal is to make sure they can’t attack the United States." …

"We are confident that if we are assisting the Afghan people and improving their security situation, stabilizing their government, providing help on economic development … those things will continue to contract the ability of Al Qaeda to operate. And that is absolutely critical," Obama told ABC News…

I saw that. What an idiot. Hirohito did not sign the surrender in WWII.

This is GREAT:clap2:

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Columbia, Maryland, as we go back to the phones on Open Line Friday. Hi.

CALLER: Hello, Mr. Limbaugh. How are you?

RUSH: Fine and dandy, sir. Thank you.

CALLER: Great. I've been listening to you for about 17 years, and today's the first time I have attempted to call, and I got through.

RUSH: Congratulations. That's a major accomplishment. A lot of people have been trying for 20 years and haven't made it.

CALLER: Listen, while we're asking the president for apologies, I think the president should apologize to all those brave men and women he committed to the battlefields of Afghanistan. For him to suggest that victory isn't his objective, let me ask you this, does anybody doubt that the objective of every one of those brave warriors is victory? I mean this guy -- I can't even figure out where he comes from. It sounds as though he's afraid of achieving victory because then he'd have to apologize for that.

RUSH: I think you're right. I think there is a guilt that he has associated with US victory, US success. There is a guilt that it's somehow immoral and unjust because we have an unfair advantage going on in. But you are exactly right. If you're just tuning in, Barack Obama said that he doesn't like the word or the concept "victory" being tossed around when discussing things in Afghanistan because when he thinks victory, he thinks of Emperor Hirohito coming down from the mountains and signing a surrender agreement with MacArthur on the USS Missouri. I read that, I said, "What the hell?" But your perspective here, "Then what are these brave troops doing over there?"

CALLER: Exactly.

RUSH: He said all they're trying to do is prevent these people from attacking the US. But we're not. He said we can't achieve victory out there, Bill, because these people aren't even part of the country.

CALLER: Well, if this commander-in-chief is committed to anything short of victory, he should be impeached. When I read this I was so outraged, and thank God I have not lost anybody close to me in this war. But I could only think about the mothers, the fathers, the wives, the husbands, the children of these people we've lost, I can only imagine how they must feel when they hear the commander-in-chief say that, you know, victory really isn't the overarching concern in this. I mean, I can't believe this guy.

RUSH: Great point. Great point. Got a problem with victory. Then why have them there in the first place?

CALLER: Exactly. It's that or nothing should be the commitment because I guarantee you every one of those warriors is committed to victory.

RUSH: Every day Barack Fonda is telling us who he is. Every day. He's Barack Fonda and Barack Nifong in one day. He's telling us exactly who he is. Pretty soon he's going to be… well, he's Barack Marx every day.

CALLER: It's outrageous.

RUSH: But now he's adding, you know, last names, and no birth certificate so he can paint whatever name he wants, Barack Nifong, Barack Fonda, it's a great point. I hadn't thought about that, about the parents, family members of those soldiers that are over there. This mission they're on, it's a huge offensive we're on, huge firefights are taking place.

CALLER: Absolutely.

RUSH: Well, look, Bill, I'm glad you called. It's an excellent perspective.

END TRANSCRIPT

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I feel for the men and women that have to serve under another Democrat President that hates our great military.Obama: Victory Not Goal in Afghanistan | Sweetness & Light

There is no military solution in Afghanistan. The problem is economic at its heart.

In regards to the insurgency, they are never going to surrender. If we can adequately stymie them, they will simply assimilate into the populace. Thus, there will be no definite "victory" or decisive point where the war was won accompanied by a ticker tape parade.

Only the ignorant in this country, who have no understanding of tactics or our goals in Afghanistan, think otherwise.

Bush said the same thing. They are both right. It's not inherent to the President, it's inherent to the tactics and an insurgency conflict.

You failed to read the article!

(Afghanistan) "is a war that we have to win." -- Barack Obama, July 2008

vs.

"I’m always worried about using the word ‘victory,’ because, you know, it invokes this notion..." -- Barack Obama, July 2009.

Seems like a dichotomy to me.

There is no military solution in Afghanistan.

Purple fingers in Iraqi proves you are wrong.

Yeah, and after those magic purple fingers, the enemy surrendered, we brought the troops home from Iraq, there was a ticker tape parade in NYC and everyone ate hot dogs and apple pie.

This goes over you guy's head like a tent, because you don't understand the nature of the enemy, the situation on the ground, and what our goals in Afghanistan are and always have been.

Actually, Obama might of been listening to this man when it came to the word "victory".

BBC NEWS | Middle East | No victory in Iraq, says Petraeus

He said he did not know that he would ever use the word "victory": "This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade... it's not war with a simple slogan."

So Republicans and Obama haters alike, start calling General Petraeus all those names you've been calling Obama in this thread. :eusa_whistle:

Afghanistan and Iraq are wars you simply can't just declare victory in. It's that simple. Petraeus knows that, Obama even knows that, however some of you partisan hacks clearly don't.

Not even under Bush.

The real goal in Afghanistan has always been...............????????

Exactly what Obama said:

The enemy facing U.S. and Afghan forces isn’t so clearly defined, he explained.

"We’re not dealing with nation states at this point. We’re concerned with Al Qaeda and the Taliban, Al Qaeda’s allies," he said. "So when you have a non-state actor, a shadowy operation like Al Qaeda, our goal is to make sure they can’t attack the United States." …

"We are confident that if we are assisting the Afghan people and improving their security situation, stabilizing their government, providing help on economic development … those things will continue to contract the ability of Al Qaeda to operate. And that is absolutely critical," Obama told ABC News…

And he's absolutely right.

It's like he's listening to General Petreaus and Secretary Gates or something.

I feel for the men and women that have to serve under another Democrat President that hates our great military.Obama: Victory Not Goal in Afghanistan | Sweetness & Light

There is no military solution in Afghanistan. The problem is economic at its heart.

In regards to the insurgency, they are never going to surrender. If we can adequately stymie them, they will simply assimilate into the populace. Thus, there will be no definite "victory" or decisive point where the war was won accompanied by a ticker tape parade.

Only the ignorant in this country, who have no understanding of tactics or our goals in Afghanistan, think otherwise.

Bush said the same thing. They are both right. It's not inherent to the President, it's inherent to the tactics and an insurgency conflict.

If our goal in Afghanistan is to deny that country to al Qaeda and others as a safe base of operations from which to attack the US and our allies, then we must first defeat the military forces of the Taliban and their allies, by one means or another, before economic development can proceed and stable political institutions can take root. Military victory is not a complete solution but it is a necessary part of any solution.

Actually, Obama might of been listening to this man when it came to the word "victory".

BBC NEWS | Middle East | No victory in Iraq, says Petraeus

He said he did not know that he would ever use the word "victory": "This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade... it's not war with a simple slogan."

So Republicans and Obama haters alike, start calling General Petraeus all those names you've been calling Obama in this thread. :eusa_whistle:

Afghanistan and Iraq are wars you simply can't just declare victory in. It's that simple. Petraeus knows that, Obama even knows that, however some of you partisan hacks clearly don't.

Damn. You beat me to the punch.

Cue con talking point #1125:

"Liberals hate General Petreaus. They called him General Be-tray-us!"

Forum List

Back