Obama Using GOP's Confrontational Playbook To Take On Romney

LOL, Obama is using the Gops confrontational playbook eh?

well we saw what happened when McCain tried to be the nice guy..The Democrats like usual play dirty and chewed him up..

so too bad for Mr. Fineman, I say it's now time to fight fire with fire...Obama and his comrades in arms which include the Lamestream media is some of the dirtiest players I have ever seen..

What you 'read' doesn't mean jack shit. If real people are struggling, they will blame Obama - right or wrong.

Jack schit....horse schit!! The people reelected Franklin Roosevelt three times and the economy was even in worse shape than it is now. Roosevelt used a form of government stimulus the likes of which have never been seen since. Keep on living in that Republican bubble. People are smart enough not to reelect an asshole who is in favor of cutting everything they're a part of at the same time he's governing over a theme of tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. Wake up...."Trickle Down" didn't work.

4453203830_fae4c48ecd.jpg

Really, really you're using FDR, the guy that prolonged the recovery of at least 7 years. The guy that convinced the people with no food, no housing, no work that he had the answers...........I suggest you google how FDRs policies made the depression worse. Thank goodness people woke up. FDR is the reason presidents can only serve two terms.

You're either very naive or very biased. I was born in 1934. I saw what went on and who made the best from Roosevelt policies. The RFD, TVA, CCC, WPA, Social Security etc. were initiated by Roosevelt. My uncles were "riding the rails" across 7 states looking for anything to do before Roosevelt programs kicked in. The "made It Worse" is a story told by the wealthy, the naive and Republicans.

Like I said....reelected three times and served four terms. It pissed the Republicans off so bad that they passed the two term maximum after that. It made them physically ill that most of the people loved Roosevelt so much.

If that doesn't suit you...look at the Manhatten project and the fact that FDR's terms continued on into the Truman years and Truman gave the order to drop the world's first nuclear weapons on Japan. Kinda' reminds me of John Kennedy and the space program. If you wait on Republicans to initiate anything which big business can't see an immediate profit from it will snow piles big enough to build snowmen in July.

Jack schit....horse schit!! The people reelected Franklin Roosevelt three times and the economy was even in worse shape than it is now. Roosevelt used a form of government stimulus the likes of which have never been seen since. Keep on living in that Republican bubble. People are smart enough not to reelect an asshole who is in favor of cutting everything they're a part of at the same time he's governing over a theme of tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy. Wake up...."Trickle Down" didn't work.

4453203830_fae4c48ecd.jpg

Really, really you're using FDR, the guy that prolonged the recovery of at least 7 years. The guy that convinced the people with no food, no housing, no work that he had the answers...........I suggest you google how FDRs policies made the depression worse. Thank goodness people woke up. FDR is the reason presidents can only serve two terms.

You're either very naive or very biased. I was born in 1934. I saw what went on and who made the best from Roosevelt policies. The RFD, TVA, CCC, WPA, Social Security etc. were initiated by Roosevelt. My uncles were "riding the rails" across 7 states looking for anything to do before Roosevelt programs kicked in. The "made It Worse" is a story told by the wealthy, the naive and Republicans.

Like I said....reelected three times and served four terms. It pissed the Republicans off so bad that they passed the two term maximum after that. It made them physically ill that most of the people loved Roosevelt so much.

If that doesn't suit you...look at the Manhatten project and the fact that FDR's terms continued on into the Truman years and Truman gave the order to drop the world's first nuclear weapons on Japan. Kinda' reminds me of John Kennedy and the space program. If you wait on Republicans to initiate anything which big business can't see an immediate profit from it will snow piles big enough to build snowmen in July.

And after almost two terms served by Roosevelt, Morgenthau, assessed the federal effort to relieve economic conditions by proclaiming, "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. [...] After eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started [...] and an enormous debt to boot!"[4] Indeed, the unemployment rate for 1939 was higher than the unemployment rate for 1931, but lower than 1932.[5]

:rolleyes:

so whats the difference between syria and libya? lets start there.

The UN's willingness to use force. The lack of an organized rebel force.

Obama's use of force and the UN to get rid of that terrorist Kadafi was masterful.

wow, what color is the sky in your universe?

A non sequitur, but in my world the sky is black. It changes color to orange, blue, white, and red, as sunlight goes through our atmosphere, which acts as a prism.

Do you agree with Mitt Romney that Russia is our greatest threat?

By Howard Fineman

WASHINGTON -- As he tries to become only the second Democratic president since Franklin Roosevelt to win reelection, Barack Obama is adopting much of the strategic playbook Republicans have developed and used for 40 years.

Of course, on the core substance of policy -- tax rates, regulation and the size and role of government in the economy -- Obama and the post-Reagan Tea Party Republicans couldn't be further apart as the fall campaign begins. And no matter how shrewd or cold-blooded his game plan, the president probably will lose if the economic outlook does not improve more by fall.

But campaign strategy does matter, and there the GOP has a track record and a theory that Obama has always found to his liking as a candidate.

It is more confrontational and definitive than the model used by Bill Clinton, who won election twice (but never with an outright majority) essentially by blurring his party's differences with a conservative GOP.

Starting with Richard Nixon in 1972, and moving on to Ronald Reagan in 1984 and George W. Bush in 2004, Republican incumbents assembled a strategic doctrine that includes the following basic plays: Stress culture, and exploit cultural and regional divisions, especially if doing so helps detract attention from a so-so (or worse) economic record. Declare one's own strength as commander in chief and the opponent's ignorance or weakness (or both) in military and foreign affairs. Paint the foe as out of the mainstream and/or elitist in terms of money, education or both. Highlight wedge issues to expand fissures in the other party. Where possible, speak in sweeping historical terms about the greatness and uniqueness of the country. And evoke symbols of manly recreational endeavor.

In one way or another, Barack Obama already has used all of those, and it is only May. Consider:

Single-Sex Marriage. By declaring his personal belief in the full right of gays and lesbians to marry, the president turned the four-decades-long culture war on its head. He is betting, and there are data to back him up, that the country has changed on this issue. He thinks that his timing is perfect and that he will push the GOP into a regional, cultural and historical corner. The initial, muted reaction of Mitt Romney's campaign shows that Obama might be right. The gay marriage move also dominated the news over a series of gloomy economic reports.

Osama Victory Lap. A week of solemn and sometimes over-the-top moves generated controversy and criticism. I even engaged in some of it. But for the first time since 1972, when Nixon successfully labeled George McGovern an anti-war appeaser, a Democratic presidential candidate has the upper hand on defense and foreign policy. Romney has no experience on the topics, and Obama will press his advantage.

Who's the Elitist? For a generation or more, Republicans have managed to use cultural attacks as a way to paint Democrats as out of touch and out of the mainstream. Obama and his allies are now doing the same thing to Romney, on both culture and money, portraying him as a wealthy, authoritarian and isolated traditionalist.

Wedge Issues. The phrase is often misused. It means forcing the other party to defend an idea, policy or person in such a way that it divides the other party's base. The classic example, used for years if not decades by Reagan, was welfare, which split white and black working-class Democrats. Obama is trying to do the same thing to the GOP on immigration. His administration just filed suit against Arizona's controversial and, to many, egregiously anti-immigrant Sheriff Joe Arpaio. The goal is not just to bring him in line, but to make Republicans defend him.

Transitions in American History. President Obama has, from time to time, expressed his admiration for what he calls Ronald Reagan's transformational role in American life. Reagan was focused on fiscal matters and economic psychology; Obama sees himself as a transformational figure in terms of sociology, demographics and individual rights. Reagan “changed the trajectory of America” and restored economic hope. Obama might not be able to do the same economically, but he wants to sell another kind of hope.

Macho Symbolism. Obama isn't a Sunday rancher like Reagan or George W. Bush. But he is a good athlete and a fanatical fan, and uses both to burnish his regular-guy image on ESPN and elsewhere. The morning after his glitzy and colossal Hollywood fundraiser this week -- just the kind of event that might paint him as "elitist" -- he played basketball with his staff, George Clooney and Tobey Maguire. No disastrously Kerry-esque windsurfing photo ops for the president. And, by the way, Romney is admittedly not much of an athlete. Expect a lot more Obama hoops between now and November.

Barack Obama 2012 Takes Multiple Pages From GOP Playbook

:lmao:

You cowards cant even take credit for your own tactics.

You guys are fooling no one but yourselves.

And after almost two terms served by Roosevelt, Morgenthau, assessed the federal effort to relieve economic conditions by proclaiming, "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. [...] After eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started [...] and an enormous debt to boot!"[4] Indeed, the unemployment rate for 1939 was higher than the unemployment rate for 1931, but lower than 1932.[5]

:rolleyes:

Morgenthal.........LMAO! I've always been curious. Who was that rich, right wing asshole Harry Truman beat...Dewey and they had already printed front pages for newspapers showing Dewey winning:

34569547.jpg

Nuff said folks...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Howard Fineman is an American journalist who is senior politics editor at the
Huffington Post.[1] Prior to his move to Huffington Post in October 2010, he was Newsweek’s Chief Political Correspondent, Senior Editor and Deputy Washington Bureau Chief. An award-winning writer, Fineman also is an NBC News analyst, contributing reports to the network and its cable affiliate MSNBC. He appears frequently on “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” “The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell” and “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

Howard Fineman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol::lol:

Interesting stuff.

My hope is - as always - that the campaign is about policies, not personalities, race or religion.

I'd like to see Romney pushed to declare a clear stance on climate change, but I doubt Obama wants to get into that.

I hope to see that as well, because that will be the final nail in the coffin as far as his reelection chances are concerned. Americans aren't thrilled about the idea of being taxed trillions of dollars and having their energy bills skyrocket over some bogus hysteria about CO2 causing the Earth's temperature to rise 1/2 a degree over the next century.

...a Democratic presidential candidate has the upper hand on defense and foreign policy. Romney has no experience on the topics, and Obama will press his advantage.

That may be the single biggest advantage Obama has - although I am not convinced foreign policy is as big an issue for US posters as it is in other, smaller countries.

Anyone who thinks Obama is playing a winning hand in the foreign policy arena is truly delusional.

By Howard Fineman

WASHINGTON -- As he tries to become only the second Democratic president since Franklin Roosevelt to win reelection, Barack Obama is adopting much of the strategic playbook Republicans have developed and used for 40 years.

Of course, on the core substance of policy -- tax rates, regulation and the size and role of government in the economy -- Obama and the post-Reagan Tea Party Republicans couldn't be further apart as the fall campaign begins. And no matter how shrewd or cold-blooded his game plan, the president probably will lose if the economic outlook does not improve more by fall.

But campaign strategy does matter, and there the GOP has a track record and a theory that Obama has always found to his liking as a candidate.

It is more confrontational and definitive than the model used by Bill Clinton, who won election twice (but never with an outright majority) essentially by blurring his party's differences with a conservative GOP.

Starting with Richard Nixon in 1972, and moving on to Ronald Reagan in 1984 and George W. Bush in 2004, Republican incumbents assembled a strategic doctrine that includes the following basic plays: Stress culture, and exploit cultural and regional divisions, especially if doing so helps detract attention from a so-so (or worse) economic record. Declare one's own strength as commander in chief and the opponent's ignorance or weakness (or both) in military and foreign affairs. Paint the foe as out of the mainstream and/or elitist in terms of money, education or both. Highlight wedge issues to expand fissures in the other party. Where possible, speak in sweeping historical terms about the greatness and uniqueness of the country. And evoke symbols of manly recreational endeavor.

In one way or another, Barack Obama already has used all of those, and it is only May. Consider:

Single-Sex Marriage. By declaring his personal belief in the full right of gays and lesbians to marry, the president turned the four-decades-long culture war on its head. He is betting, and there are data to back him up, that the country has changed on this issue. He thinks that his timing is perfect and that he will push the GOP into a regional, cultural and historical corner. The initial, muted reaction of Mitt Romney's campaign shows that Obama might be right. The gay marriage move also dominated the news over a series of gloomy economic reports.

Osama Victory Lap. A week of solemn and sometimes over-the-top moves generated controversy and criticism. I even engaged in some of it. But for the first time since 1972, when Nixon successfully labeled George McGovern an anti-war appeaser, a Democratic presidential candidate has the upper hand on defense and foreign policy. Romney has no experience on the topics, and Obama will press his advantage.

Who's the Elitist? For a generation or more, Republicans have managed to use cultural attacks as a way to paint Democrats as out of touch and out of the mainstream. Obama and his allies are now doing the same thing to Romney, on both culture and money, portraying him as a wealthy, authoritarian and isolated traditionalist.

Wedge Issues. The phrase is often misused. It means forcing the other party to defend an idea, policy or person in such a way that it divides the other party's base. The classic example, used for years if not decades by Reagan, was welfare, which split white and black working-class Democrats. Obama is trying to do the same thing to the GOP on immigration. His administration just filed suit against Arizona's controversial and, to many, egregiously anti-immigrant Sheriff Joe Arpaio. The goal is not just to bring him in line, but to make Republicans defend him.

Transitions in American History. President Obama has, from time to time, expressed his admiration for what he calls Ronald Reagan's transformational role in American life. Reagan was focused on fiscal matters and economic psychology; Obama sees himself as a transformational figure in terms of sociology, demographics and individual rights. Reagan “changed the trajectory of America” and restored economic hope. Obama might not be able to do the same economically, but he wants to sell another kind of hope.

Macho Symbolism. Obama isn't a Sunday rancher like Reagan or George W. Bush. But he is a good athlete and a fanatical fan, and uses both to burnish his regular-guy image on ESPN and elsewhere. The morning after his glitzy and colossal Hollywood fundraiser this week -- just the kind of event that might paint him as "elitist" -- he played basketball with his staff, George Clooney and Tobey Maguire. No disastrously Kerry-esque windsurfing photo ops for the president. And, by the way, Romney is admittedly not much of an athlete. Expect a lot more Obama hoops between now and November.

These are tactics crafted by such people as Richard Nixon, Lee Atwater and Karl Rove.

...a Democratic presidential candidate has the upper hand on defense and foreign policy. Romney has no experience on the topics, and Obama will press his advantage.

That may be the single biggest advantage Obama has - although I am not convinced foreign policy is as big an issue for US posters as it is in other, smaller countries.

Anyone who thinks Obama is playing a winning hand in the foreign policy arena is truly delusional.

Killing terrorists? Bringing down the number of nukes? Helping countries under the boot of oppressive leaders out of tyranny and into self determination?

I know you can't get behind that stuff..but I am okay with it.

By Howard Fineman

Their favorite tactic is to write down Obama's characteristics and assign them to whomever he's running against.

So Obama's obvious and well categorized snobbery is now being assigned to Romney. Santorum would have been labeled a big spender. Newt......an arrogant prick.

Mr. Finsman is so full of shit..

Ronald Reagan never TRIED to TRANSFORM AMERCIAN..That is Obama's and his progressive comrades in arms dreams because they hate us..

You can toss this ignorant article right in the garbage can

Nuff said folks...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Howard Fineman is an American journalist who is senior politics editor at the
Huffington Post.[1] Prior to his move to Huffington Post in October 2010, he was Newsweek’s Chief Political Correspondent, Senior Editor and Deputy Washington Bureau Chief. An award-winning writer, Fineman also is an NBC News analyst, contributing reports to the network and its cable affiliate MSNBC. He appears frequently on “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” “The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell” and “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

Howard Fineman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol::lol:

Attacking the messenger, rather than the message, show's how weak your rebuttal is.

Forum List

Back