Obama Trying To Buy A Few More Votes

You cannot blame Obama for a credit system made long before he was in any office that makes fiscal sense to declare bankrupcy right out of college. This is just obama bringing to light an idea that would benefit many college kids looking to their future.

You graduate, you get a job, you get hit with the loan payments, and then you declare bankrupcy and never pay. It is a system made long before most people in our government were here. The only people this really damages are those who were planning on running themselves deep into debt before they are ready to pay for things. A frugal person realizes unless you are extremely lucky right out of school you will not need big credit until your thirties anyway. Deal with a used car, renting a cheap appartment, and by the time the bankrupcy falls off your record you have years of earnings, a bank account, and smaller credit cards so you can go get a car loan or a mortgage. By then you have work experience and hopefully a job in your field, and you are ready for these things.

I always thought that system was made for the rich to allow their kids to avoid paying off loans they took while the family gave them the credit to overcome the time it takes for the bankrupcy to fall off your record. I didn't learn this shit from the poor or democrats, this was taught to me by well off white people on how to avoid spending money on a college education.

This is some of the dumbest bullshit I've read all week. Not surprised it came from an intellectual midget like you.

Well, we could always go the republican way and just get rid of public funding for college alltogether

That sounds like a fine idea considering public funding is what's making it so damn expensive. And you spelled altogether wrong.

and eliminate public high school too.

It apparently didn't do much to help you.

After all, I see your anger considering according to your heroes education is for snobs. Republicans like stupid, it makes more republicans.

And yet welfare recipients, high school drop outs, and "impoverished" inner city residents are exclusively a Democratic constituency. Somebody needs stupid voters alright. It sounds like you vote Democrat too, so I rest my case.

Well, we could always go the republican way and just get rid of public funding for college alltogether, and eliminate public high school too. After all, I see your anger considering according to your heroes education is for snobs. Republicans like stupid, it makes more republicans.

Well that wouldn't be a bad idea. What has federal gov't funding done to improve education in the last 30 years?

No Child Left Behind? Oops, nope. That was unfunded.

The left hated NCLB. All you guys did was bitch and whine about it from the time it was passed.

The fact of the matter is funding for public schools in this country has more than tripled since the 1960s with zero measurable result to show for it. America's kids today are dumber than ever.

You cannot blame Obama for a credit system made long before he was in any office that makes fiscal sense to declare bankrupcy right out of college. This is just obama bringing to light an idea that would benefit many college kids looking to their future.

You graduate, you get a job, you get hit with the loan payments, and then you declare bankrupcy and never pay. It is a system made long before most people in our government were here. The only people this really damages are those who were planning on running themselves deep into debt before they are ready to pay for things. A frugal person realizes unless you are extremely lucky right out of school you will not need big credit until your thirties anyway. Deal with a used car, renting a cheap appartment, and by the time the bankrupcy falls off your record you have years of earnings, a bank account, and smaller credit cards so you can go get a car loan or a mortgage. By then you have work experience and hopefully a job in your field, and you are ready for these things.

I always thought that system was made for the rich to allow their kids to avoid paying off loans they took while the family gave them the credit to overcome the time it takes for the bankrupcy to fall off your record. I didn't learn this shit from the poor or democrats, this was taught to me by well off white people on how to avoid spending money on a college education.

How sad that you think it's perfectly ok to borrow money and then just simply not pay it back. Obviously, you have no honor and no pride in yourself.

It's the basic logic of a leftist. Their whole world view is that nobody has to take responsibility for any of their actions and any negative circumstance you find yourself in is clearly someone else's fault. It's not a conscious choice to borrow all that student loan money, no, you're forced to borrow $20,000 a year and go to an overly expensive college that you can't afford to pay back when you graduate. That's not your fault. Just declare bankruptcy and let the rich take the hit for you being a failed excuse for a human being.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

How sad that you think it's perfectly ok to borrow money and then just simply not pay it back. Obviously, you have no honor and no pride in yourself.

It's the basic logic of a leftist. Their whole world view is that nobody has to take responsibility for any of their actions and any negative circumstance you find yourself in is clearly someone else's fault. It's not a conscious choice to borrow all that student loan money, no, you're forced to borrow $20,000 a year and go to an overly expensive college that you can't afford to pay back when you graduate. That's not your fault. Just declare bankruptcy and let the rich take the hit for you being a failed excuse for a human being.

I don't understand the mindset that allows many on the left to feel that someone else should provide them with a college education. The education they're receiving will be used to provide themselves with better job prospects and better pay. Society paying for their education does not substantially benefit society at large.

I remember when the debt was made non dischargable. It was precisely because kids would rack up thousands of dollars and go straight from graduation to bankruptcy court.
This is just pandering to the student vote he took so strongly in 08 that has soured on him in the meantime. Lousy idea. Like everything else he's done.

Well, we could always go the republican way and just get rid of public funding for college alltogether, and eliminate public high school too. After all, I see your anger considering according to your heroes education is for snobs. Republicans like stupid, it makes more republicans.

Well that wouldn't be a bad idea. What has federal gov't funding done to improve education in the last 30 years?

It's made it more expensive is all.

It's made it more expensive is all.

Indeed. Built all kinds of grand new facilities as quality goes into the toilet.

You guys are hilarious. It's not the Republican base paying for this election, it's a few billionaires and corporations. What the fuck do you think they are buying all those Republican politicians for? Not to help the "dumb as rocks" Republican base. They will screw you over big time. They already have. The lack of education, the refusal to look at the facts and the inbreeding prevent you from learning otherwise. Oh, and the racism certainly doesn't help.

Learning - something the right wing scoffs at.

You mean the legislation written by Ted Kennedy?
OK so there is no benefit that 30 years of federal funding has brought. Thanks for admitting that.

And naturally you can show where Senator Kennedy argued that the mandate be unfunded?

Of course there is a benefit to federal education funding. Just in recent history, the stimulus alone saved education jobs. How is it that the same people that think we can't spend enough on defense think we spend enough on education?

How is it that the same people that think we can't spend enough on defense think we spend enough on education?

Gee, I don't know, maybe because we already spend more than just about any other country in the world and have piss poor results to show for it?

USATODAY.com - U.S. tops the world in school spending but not test scores

K-12 Spending Per Student in the OECD | Mercatus

Spending on K-12 Education Triples, and Results Slide - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

OK so there is no benefit that 30 years of federal funding has brought. Thanks for admitting that.

And naturally you can show where Senator Kennedy argued that the mandate be unfunded?

Of course there is a benefit to federal education funding. Just in recent history, the stimulus alone saved education jobs. How is it that the same people that think we can't spend enough on defense think we spend enough on education?

I'll clarify my question to you since you nicely danced around it. In what way has federal spending improved the education that our young people received?

OK, so you have failed to show any benefit from fed.gov spending. A given, since you talk out of your rear end.

The man is dead. The NCLB is law and was embraced by Kennedy.

But you need any excuse.

Sad..............

The man is dead. The NCLB is law and was embraced by Kennedy.

But you need any excuse.

Sad..............

NCLB Kennedy wrote too. Bush accepted it.

I'll clarify my question to you since you nicely danced around it. In what way has federal spending improved the education that our young people received?

Since schools get less than 10% of their funding from the Federal Government, what does the question have to do with the quality of education children receive? That same funding, however, has saved teachers jobs, improved school infrastructure and has provided meals to students who might not get one.

Looks as if Obama is once again trying to pander for votes by using taxpayer dollars.
Obama Administration Backs Bankruptcy Option for Some Student Debt

By JOSH MITCHELL

The Obama administration urged Congress to make it easier for people to discharge a portion of certain student debt by filing for bankruptcy protection.

The recommendation, in a report by the Education Department and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, wouldn't affect the vast majority of student debt, which is issued by the federal government. It would apply only to the roughly $150 billion, or 15% of total outstanding student debt, issued by private lenders such as SLM Corp.'s Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo & Co.

Consumer bureau chief Richard Cordray said Congress should consider modifying a 2005 law that, except in rare circumstances, prohibits discharging private student loans through bankruptcy.

"It would be prudent to consider whether they wish to modify the code in light of the impact on young borrowers in challenging labor-market conditions," Mr. Cordray said. He added that the law doesn't appear to have met its objectives of bringing down borrowing costs and expanding access to private loans.

Expanding the concept to federal loans would be politically controversial given that it would likely result in taxpayer losses, and Republicans have expressed reservations.

Obama Administration Backs Bankruptcy Option for Some Student Debt - WSJ.com
:lol: As if I didn't see this coming.

Looks as if Obama is once again trying to pander for votes by using taxpayer dollars.
Obama Administration Backs Bankruptcy Option for Some Student Debt

By JOSH MITCHELL

The Obama administration urged Congress to make it easier for people to discharge a portion of certain student debt by filing for bankruptcy protection.

The recommendation, in a report by the Education Department and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, wouldn't affect the vast majority of student debt, which is issued by the federal government. It would apply only to the roughly $150 billion, or 15% of total outstanding student debt, issued by private lenders such as SLM Corp.'s Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo & Co.

Consumer bureau chief Richard Cordray said Congress should consider modifying a 2005 law that, except in rare circumstances, prohibits discharging private student loans through bankruptcy.

"It would be prudent to consider whether they wish to modify the code in light of the impact on young borrowers in challenging labor-market conditions," Mr. Cordray said. He added that the law doesn't appear to have met its objectives of bringing down borrowing costs and expanding access to private loans.

Expanding the concept to federal loans would be politically controversial given that it would likely result in taxpayer losses, and Republicans have expressed reservations.

Obama Administration Backs Bankruptcy Option for Some Student Debt - WSJ.com

He's just sticking it to the successful taxpaying citizens again, I think he's losing more than he's gaining. :eusa_clap: most of America knows this by now, every time he panders to his pet groups the taxpayer ends up being fleeced.

I agree. My kids are in their late 20's-early 30's. None of them have massive school loans, all are paying them back. The youngest had less than $5k. Their friends have similar debt, also repaying.

All are in jobs paying over $40k, the loans are not a substantial hit, since they didn't misuse funds, went to school and graduated in 4-5 years, with marketable degrees.

One will find, if they look, that those with 'hundreds of thousands' in loans majored in degrees that were non-marketable and some didn't complete the course of study.

Personally I think their debt should be shouldered by the students and colleges that failed them, while taking in all those loan bucks. Some were working on BA for 10 years!

I will say the students in high school over the past 5 years are being advised much more practically. If they aren't 'college material' they are being steered towards jobs training in fields they can succeed in. If money isn't there for college, but the student is university qualified, from early on they are guided towards how to get academic scholarship; the benefits of community colleges; the military academies and pros/cons.

Since schools get less than 10% of their funding from the Federal Government, what does the question have to do with the quality of education children receive? That same funding, however, has saved teachers jobs, improved school infrastructure and has provided meals to students who might not get one.
What difference does the percentage of funding make? Either dollars from the FedGov have improved schools or they haven't. And you haven't made the case they have.
In fact it has been a giant waste, like most federal government programs.

they have finally allowed waivers to stop the no child left behind, the extra transportation cost in my county was 360,000 to send students to certified schools in a different city.

What difference does the percentage of funding make? Either dollars from the FedGov have improved schools or they haven't. And you haven't made the case they have.
In fact it has been a giant waste, like most federal government programs.

No it has not. I could imagine living in a world you want. High illiteracy is your goal for some reason.

Forum List

Back