Obama to top brass: Will you fire on american citizens?

NBC News Exclusive: Drone strike white paper

Mon Feb 4, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans
By Michael Isikoff

National Investigative Correspondent, NBC News

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

NBC News Exclusive: Drone strike white paper - The Maddow Blog

madcow007.gif

Jihadist, I take it that you do support the above or you don't? I don't. And if the Repubs would make a big deal about the illegality of these actions, I would (and this is hard for me to write) I would support the Repubs in getting this craziness stopped.

Killing Americans based on what someone in the adminastration "feels" about someone is fuking crazy. From what I read earlier, the admin doesn't even have to have proof that an American citizen is doing something against the US government. Just that they MAY do something. This is nuts.

Show me where in the COTUS, the office of President gets to decide who is guilty and who deserves to die.

You need to ask that Q to madcow, Isijackoff and msdnc...:confused:

Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:07 AM PST.

Memo explains administration's legal rationale behind targeted killings. Senate critics not soothed

by Meteor Blades

MQ-9_reaper_drone.jpg

Holy shit we just took out Rock 30...​

“This is a chilling document,” said Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director of the ACLU, which is suing to obtain administration memos about the targeted killing of Americans. “Basically, it argues that the government has the right to carry out the extrajudicial killing of an American citizen. … It recognizes some limits on the authority it sets out, but the limits are elastic and vaguely defined, and it’s easy to see how they could be manipulated.”
In particular, Jaffer said, the memo “redefines the word imminence in a way that deprives the word of its ordinary meaning.”

Daily Kos: Memo explains administration's legal rationale behind targeted killings. Senate critics not soothed
Daily Krap/Liberal rag

The President Has Too Much Latitude to Order Drone Strikes

2/18/13
By RICHARD N. HAASS

Mere consonance with the laws of war is not enough..

Drones are a relatively new but fast-developing technology. Dozens of governments as well as militias, gangs, cartels and terrorist groups will come to possess them, especially those configured for reconnaissance as opposed to strikes. The U.S., by what it does and how it does it, ought to set and reinforce a norm that the use of armed drones should be exceptional.

This argues for reform of U.S. policy and procedures that is based on public discussion, not in classified memorandums. In his State of the Union, President Obama promised a "durable legal and policy framework" that would be forged with Congress and be "more transparent." He should be held to his pledge.

Foreign governments and their citizens should understand America's policy on drones and how we arrived at it. This will not influence those most opposed to us, but it will help with the majority of governments and people around the world who appreciate the need to balance legitimacy and self-preservation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323696404578300380174829920.html

Blindboo,
The Syrian government has tanks, jet fighters, bombers, attack helicopters, rockets and missiles and that hasn't stopped the determined fighters armed with AK-47's, RPG's and handguns from making progress in their war against the government.
Just because you have a lot of armament against an inferiorly armed populace, doesn't mean it is a foregone conclusion that you will win a war.
Afghanistan rebels kicked Russia out of their country with inferior weapons and determination.

Blindboo,
The Syrian government has tanks, jet fighters, bombers, attack helicopters, rockets and missiles and that hasn't stopped the determined fighters armed with AK-47's, RPG's and handguns from making progress in their war against the government.
Just because you have a lot of armament against an inferiorly armed populace, doesn't mean it is a foregone conclusion that you will win a war.
Afghanistan rebels kicked Russia out of their country with inferior weapons and determination.

Both of those countries or governement were/are backed by Russia. Our governement is of and by the people.

Forum List

Back