Obama to Tax Us 1% More at the Gas Pump!

Did I hear yesterday or earlier this week, that Congress is going to change the law on how much in damages a company must pay for a spill like this? After the Exxon Valdez spill it was a certain amount and how Congress wants that amount rised to $10b.

It also appeared that they expected this to be retroactive to this spill. How can you change a law after the fact and apply it to that party?

I guess that depends on how dearly they value that document that we refer to as the US Constitution. Evidence suggests that they don't value it much at all.

I had no idea that the Constitution outlines the Federal Government is reponsible for cleaning up oil leaks caused by private corporations?

I don't believe in speculating about responsibility. I judge on FACT, not theories or speculation. Interestingly, you are the one of the few people on this board who mentions any other liability other than BP.

In other words you CANNOT even come with an alternative scenario that does NOT hold BP responsible?

Then why are you ragging on 'liberals' who believe that BP is responsible?

What speculation is going on here that you don't believe is justified.

Be specific.

How's this for specific? We are a nation of laws. Until a court finds someone guilty, they are innocent. Even if they are a giant corporation. The public doesn't get to convict them and you don't either.

So anyone who says that the insurance requirement in the healthcare bill is unconstitutional is out of line because it is constitutional until it is declared unconstitutional and thus 'the public' doesn't get to say its unconstitutional.

Correct?

Did I hear yesterday or earlier this week, that Congress is going to change the law on how much in damages a company must pay for a spill like this? After the Exxon Valdez spill it was a certain amount and how Congress wants that amount rised to $10b.

It also appeared that they expected this to be retroactive to this spill. How can you change a law after the fact and apply it to that party?

I guess that depends on how dearly they value that document that we refer to as the US Constitution. Evidence suggests that they don't value it much at all.

I had no idea that the Constitution outlines the Federal Government is reponsible for cleaning up oil leaks caused by private corporations?

Go back and actually read the fucking posts - get the point - and then comment. No one has suggested that the Constitution outlines that the Fed Gov is responsible. The Constitution does NOT allow for a law to be applied retroactively. Therefore, the Government cannot change the law to increase the dollar amount of corporate responsibility and apply that law to the oil spill. It is unConstitutional. Fucking moron.

I don't believe in speculating about responsibility. I judge on FACT, not theories or speculation. Interestingly, you are the one of the few people on this board who mentions any other liability other than BP.

In other words you CANNOT even come with an alternative scenario that does NOT hold BP responsible?

Be specific.

Don't put words into the posts of another - it is a sign of ignorance and is rarely, if ever, accurate.

There is a wide gulf between believing someone guilty and having the evidence to KNOW that they are. Personally, as with any other catastrophe, I'll wait for the facts before I hang anyone. Call me a heartless bitch, but I do like to have the evidence before I convict someone. I don't care what anyone 'believes', unless you can prove it, it is irrelevant.

I see. It is inappropriate to express opinions on a forum designed specifically as a venue for people to express opinions.

Jeezus.

I'm still waiting for you to give us another scenario in which BP wouldn't be responsible.

If there is no other possible explanation, then, as Sherlock Holmes would put it, the impossible has been eliminated.

That makes the possible more than just speculation.

Go back and actually read the fucking posts - get the point - and then comment. No one has suggested that the Constitution outlines that the Fed Gov is responsible. The Constitution does NOT allow for a law to be applied retroactively. Therefore, the Government cannot change the law to increase the dollar amount of corporate responsibility and apply that law to the oil spill. It is unConstitutional. Fucking moron.

So....you people hide behind the Constitution when it fits your agenda and then dismiss it when it doesn't. Got it. Thanks.

Wait a minute. Now you're declaring that a law is unconstitutional before you've ever seen the law or before the Supreme Court has even ruled on it?

What was all that you were saying about not hanging someone before you had all the facts?

jeezus you are transparent. And what makes you most repugnant is that you claim not to be partisan.

So....you people hide behind the Constitution when it fits your agenda and then dismiss it when it doesn't. Got it. Thanks.

They didn't have much problem attacking the administration for not acting faster to fix BP's fuck up.

They didn't have much problem attacking the administration for not acting faster to fix BP's fuck up.

Thanks. I was beginning to think they thought we don't remember their posts from LAST WEEK, or something...

Be specific.

Don't put words into the posts of another - it is a sign of ignorance and is rarely, if ever, accurate.

There is a wide gulf between believing someone guilty and having the evidence to KNOW that they are. Personally, as with any other catastrophe, I'll wait for the facts before I hang anyone. Call me a heartless bitch, but I do like to have the evidence before I convict someone. I don't care what anyone 'believes', unless you can prove it, it is irrelevant.

I see. It is inappropriate to express opinions on a forum designed specifically as a venue for people to express opinions.

Jeezus.

I'm still waiting for you to give us another scenario in which BP wouldn't be responsible.

If there is no other possible explanation, then, as Sherlock Holmes would put it, the impossible has been eliminated.

That makes the possible more than just speculation.

But the left aren't expressing an opinion - they are stating facts NOT IN EVIDENCE. That's your prerogative but don't be surprised that others are less inclined to do likewise. Because it's not based on anything factual.

For example, what if the fault lies solely with TransOcean, but it takes a decade to ascertain that.... in the meantime, (as has been proposed by the fucking idiots) we 'take over' BP and sell off their assets to pay for the spill. Then, a decade from now, BP sues the US Government for the return of assets that the US Government has illegally seized and sold? The national deficit that we have now..... that's gonna look like small potatoes compared to the compensation that they'd end up having to pay BP.

The whole premise is fucking ludicrous. I fail to see why people have to get so hysterical about it.

Apart from that, who exactly is gonna pay the legal fees involved in seizing the assets of a foreign owned company? And, how long would that take? And what are the odds that it would actually work? And, if it didn't work, who's gonna pay the legal bills for losing that law suit?

The whole concept is so fucking breathtakingly stupid that it is beyond laughable.

Yeah and hows all that cleany cleany working out for ya?

Oh how cute, a Palin reference. Your schtick is growing tiresome. Got anything else?

They are pretending to try things they know wont work because they dont know how to clean this mess.

Huh, "pretending to try things," really? They look to be actually trying things if you ask. The fact that none of what they're trying working tells me they have never been faced with a problem such as this. Or do you believe they want that oil to continue to flow into the Gulf?

Fuck you whineing assholes.

Keeping classy as always...

PAY YOUR TAXES, man the fuck up and pay without crying about it.

Whose not paying their taxes? When did it become against the law to complain about your taxes?

I am still in America, aren't I?

YOUR heros made this mess now help us pay for cleaning it up.

Its your policies that created this mess so shut the fuck up and open your damned wallet

What "heroes" would those be TM?

Policies? And the fact that this administration has handed out 27 exemptions, of the sort BP got for this rig, since this accident occurred, bothers you not one whit?

No you dont because you are too fucking partisan to face real facts.

Perhaps the most unintentionally funny line I've read in quite some time.

I say we take them over and liquidate their assests to pay for the damge for the next 100 years it will take to fix it.

Hugo, is that you?

What's the problem TM? The passing of a retroactive law raising BP's liability from $75 million to $10 billion not onerous enough for you?

It would be downright unAmerican to force BP to to pay to clean up their own mess.

No one is having to 'force' BP to clean up.

You've got to be the most ignorant bitch in the world. For profit corporations are motivated by one thing - GUESS. BP will stop cleaning the mess up as soon as they think the money they save by not cleaning it outweighs the negative publicity. Or they will try, but they will have so many Louisiana lawyers up their ass they won't.

Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

090323-exxon-anniversary_big.jpg

Photo: Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

Last edited:
Oh fucking please they have already all said they are guilty.

Now they are just trying to get each other to pay the tab.

I say they all pay the tab right up until they dont exsist anymore.

So, if they have all said they are guilty, how come you are looking to 'take over' BP alone? Which is not only illegal, it is fucking communism.

You're an overly emotional, left wing hack so your response hardly surprises anyone.... In fact, if you said anything that demonstrated critical thought instead of hysterical ranting, I'm sure the rest of the board would be impressed.

When you cause a disastor and are made to pay for it and paying fro it causes your company to fold under the weight of the debt that is not communism you little fool.

You are here defending the people who fucked us for money and you defended the people who gave them the power to fuck us.

I say we make them all pay right up until they are out of business. They wont pay willing and you and everyone knows it.

You just want MORE corporate bail outs for these companies by making the US pay for the mistakes of a foriegn company, then you want them to be able to buy our next political candidates.

When are you ever going to take the side of the Amerivan people in anything?

Thanks. I was beginning to think they thought we don't remember their posts from LAST WEEK, or something...

Only fucking idiots refer to 'they'. I am me. An individual.

And.... I am still waiting for evidence about our Government's responsibility for this fucking mess.

Everyone is screaming hysterically about BP..... conveniently overlooking that our government had to have agreed it.

Here are a few interesting little considerations:

It takes years to explore for oil, before the drilling starts.

Which Administration signed off on the exploration.

Which Administration agreed the drilling.

Which POTUS's signature is on the final agreement to allow this drilling and why were stricter regulations not put in place BEFORE they drilled.

This shit does not just happen. Governments, and states, have input into it.

It would be downright unAmerican to force BP to to pay to clean up their own mess.

No one is having to 'force' BP to clean up.

You've got to be the most ignorant bitch in the world. For profit corporations are motivated by one thing - GUESS. BP will stop cleaning the mess up as soon as they think the money they save by not cleaning it outweighs the negative publicity. Or they will try, but they will have so many Louisiana lawyers up their ass they won't.

Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

090323-exxon-anniversary_big.jpg

Photo: Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark....

Oh fucking please they have already all said they are guilty.

Now they are just trying to get each other to pay the tab.

I say they all pay the tab right up until they dont exsist anymore.

So, if they have all said they are guilty, how come you are looking to 'take over' BP alone? Which is not only illegal, it is fucking communism.

You're an overly emotional, left wing hack so your response hardly surprises anyone.... In fact, if you said anything that demonstrated critical thought instead of hysterical ranting, I'm sure the rest of the board would be impressed.

When you cause a disastor and are made to pay for it and paying fro it causes your company to fold under the weight of the debt that is not communism you little fool.

You are here defending the people who fucked us for money and you defended the people who gave them the power to fuck us.

I say we make them all pay right up until they are out of business. They wont pay willing and you and everyone knows it.

You just want MORE corporate bail outs for these companies by making the US pay for the mistakes of a foriegn company, then you want them to be able to buy our next political candidates.

When are you ever going to take the side of the Amerivan people in anything?

I am DEFENDING NO ONE, you fucking moron. I am asking for evidence of guilt - and actual evidence of exactly who is responsible for what.... before I start screaming about it. That's rational.

You are just a fucking hysterical fool.

And, I am always on the side of my country..... I just don't approve of us becoming a communist state because it suits your agenda. Fucking idiot.

You are they CG

Only to a brain dead moron, TM. There is no 'they', people are individuals. Except on the left... 'you guys' sacrificed your individuality in favor of the group think of the borg. I choose not to. I remain an independent individual, capable of rational thought and critical analysis of factual information.

Forum List

Back