Obama to Tax Us 1% More at the Gas Pump!

I guess that depends on how dearly they value that document that we refer to as the US Constitution. Evidence suggests that they don't value it much at all.

I had no idea that the Constitution outlines the Federal Government is reponsible for cleaning up oil leaks caused by private corporations?

Go back and actually read the fucking posts - get the point - and then comment. No one has suggested that the Constitution outlines that the Fed Gov is responsible. The Constitution does NOT allow for a law to be applied retroactively. Therefore, the Government cannot change the law to increase the dollar amount of corporate responsibility and apply that law to the oil spill. It is unConstitutional. Fucking moron.

They're not specifically applying it to THIS oil spill. It's an increase that will go to the oil cleanup fund which already exists.
This increase in the oil spill liability tax moves forward a planned increase in 2017 of one cent per barrel, and sets a tax of 10 cents per barrel starting in 2017 to make sure that there is long-term oil industry financing for the Trust Fund.

Someone will need to go to that original policy creation to see what it says. I'm sure the figures therein weren't set in stone; that would have been an ignorant oversight, since the dollar value of everything never remains the same.

Did I hear yesterday or earlier this week, that Congress is going to change the law on how much in damages a company must pay for a spill like this? After the Exxon Valdez spill it was a certain amount and how Congress wants that amount rised to $10b.

It also appeared that they expected this to be retroactive to this spill. How can you change a law after the fact and apply it to that party?

Yes. Menendez is co-sponsoring a bill that would Ex-Post Facto punish BP.

Of course, it's very important to make BP the villain in order to deflect any criticism of the Obama Administration's lack of a real Day One response.

They were supposed to do more?

April 20 (10 p.m.): Oil rig explosion. The U.S. Coast Guard Response System assigns primary responsibility for cleaning up oil spills to BP as the responsible party.

April 21: otherwise known as Day One. Bint. Deputy Secretary of Interior, Coast Guard dispatched to region. Following a briefing with President Obama, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen, Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe, and FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, "Deputy Secretary of the Interior David Hayes was dispatched to the region yesterday to assist with coordination and response."

Search and rescue efforts begin for 11 missing.

BP confirms U.S. Coast Guard was "leading the emergency response"
CNN.com: "The U.S. Coast Guard launched a major search effort."

April 23: Coast Guard "focused on mitigating the impact of the product currently in the water." Federal agencies have technical teams in place overseeing the proposals by BP and Transocean to completely secure the well. A high readiness posture to respond will remain in place.

April 25: Response team implements try to contain oil spilling from source, weather delays cleanup.

April 28: Federal officials realize spill was far more severe than BP led them to believe. "Government officials said late Wednesday night that oil might be leaking from a well in the Gulf of Mexico at a rate five times that suggested by initial estimates...

"For days, as an oil spill spread in the Gulf of Mexico , BP assured the government the plume was manageable, not catastrophic.

April 29: Homeland Security declares spill "of national significance"; BP insists its "plan can handle this spill."

In essence, this is what happens when relying on the private sector to "take care of things."

Federal authorities were content to let the company handle the mess while keeping an eye on the operation...

“But then government scientists realized the leak was five times larger than they had been led to believe, and days of lulling statistics and reassuring words gave way Thursday to an all-hands-on-deck emergency response.”

Go back and actually read the fucking posts - get the point - and then comment. No one has suggested that the Constitution outlines that the Fed Gov is responsible. The Constitution does NOT allow for a law to be applied retroactively. Therefore, the Government cannot change the law to increase the dollar amount of corporate responsibility and apply that law to the oil spill. It is unConstitutional. Fucking moron.

Wait a minute. Now you're declaring that a law is unconstitutional before you've ever seen the law or before the Supreme Court has even ruled on it?

What was all that you were saying about not hanging someone before you had all the facts?

jeezus you are transparent. And what makes you most repugnant is that you claim not to be partisan.

Fucking moron. The Constitution is clear.... you cannot apply a law retroactively. There is no need to wait for a ruling. How ignorant are you about the document under which you live?

You appear to think that we need to wait for a SC ruling on every single issue. We don't. I can understand why you find me repugnant..... I'm smarter than you, that must be hard for you to bear.

Which bit of refusing to pass judgement before I have ALL the FACTS is partisan?

I don't know why there is a debate over the constitutionality of increasing the tax on oil companies. Here is all the information anyone needs to know (it's only one simple page). The Oil Spill Liability Fund has several ways that it can be funded, including an increase in the amount of fees (tax) charged to oil companies.

The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)

We could fine BP 20 billion and guess who would be paying it?
Costs are always passed on to consumers. Anyone with a brain knows that.

Not necessarily. BP's crude oil doesn't wind up filling gas stations just in the US. Like every producer, it flows to the open markets everywhere. An oil futures contract is a binding agreement to purchase oil by the barrel at a predefined price on a predefined date in the future. The price of crude isn't totally established by supply and demand, nor by market sentiment.

ATTENTION PEOPLE: I live on the gulf coast in a resort/commercial/recreational fishing town. BP is actually showing themselves to be suprisingly
proactive in anticipation of the communities that are potentially threatened by the spill. Not only have they taken applications from over 15,000 boats owners (commercial/recreational charter boats) but they've already sent WRS-Compass, a safety company, to our community and offered the HAZMAT operations level clean -up class that is required by the EPA. I took the 8 hour class, along with about 150 other boat captains/mates, and amazingly, we're not whining about BP because we're smart enough to know that without oil, our boats don't leave the dock, and we don't make any money. Instead, we've come together as a community, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH BP, to figure out how to combat the problem long before it ever reaches our shores. BP is offering to pay $1500 to $2500 per boat/per day to put out and recover sorbent booms and other operational needs. So for all you idiot "lib's" who like to talk about having "skin in the game", we actually do and there's no fingerpointing going on here ideological dumbass's!! BP is already proven themselves prompt to us from filing claims to making sure we're prepared well in advance for what may be coming to our shores as well as doing what they can EXPIDITIOUSLY to help our local economy in the process!! So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

Why do you automatically attack liberals? I see no problem with that arrangement with the locals at all, and I doubt any "liberal" would either. Looks to me like some short-term jobs might be available, too. It's a win-win situation.

WTF? I think I've completely lost track of what this debate in this thread is all about.

Obama's alleged "tax"??
BP's responsibility??
Constitutionality of prosecuting BP?

Is there a focal point here?

I had no idea that the Constitution outlines the Federal Government is reponsible for cleaning up oil leaks caused by private corporations?

They're not specifically applying it to THIS oil spill. It's an increase that will go to the oil cleanup fund which already exists.
This increase in the oil spill liability tax moves forward a planned increase in 2017 of one cent per barrel, and sets a tax of 10 cents per barrel starting in 2017 to make sure that there is long-term oil industry financing for the Trust Fund.

Someone will need to go to that original policy creation to see what it says. I'm sure the figures therein weren't set in stone; that would have been an ignorant oversight, since the dollar value of everything never remains the same.

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Artur Davis, D-Birmingham, is among 5 House Democrats introducing legislation today that would dramatically increase oil companies' potential liability for offshore spills. The new bill, which mirrors already introduced Senate legislation, would raise the cap on damages -- apart from cleanup costs -- from $75 million to $10 billion.

The measure is aimed at BP PLC, now battling to contain a leak from an exploration well in the Gulf of Mexico.

ATTENTION PEOPLE: I live on the gulf coast in a resort/commercial/recreational fishing town. BP is actually showing themselves to be suprisingly
proactive in anticipation of the communities that are potentially threatened by the spill. Not only have they taken applications from over 15,000 boats owners (commercial/recreational charter boats) but they've already sent WRS-Compass, a safety company, to our community and offered the HAZMAT operations level clean -up class that is required by the EPA. I took the 8 hour class, along with about 150 other boat captains/mates, and amazingly, we're not whining about BP because we're smart enough to know that without oil, our boats don't leave the dock, and we don't make any money. Instead, we've come together as a community, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH BP, to figure out how to combat the problem long before it ever reaches our shores. BP is offering to pay $1500 to $2500 per boat/per day to put out and recover sorbent booms and other operational needs. So for all you idiot "lib's" who like to talk about having "skin in the game", we actually do and there's no fingerpointing going on here ideological dumbass's!! BP is already proven themselves prompt to us from filing claims to making sure we're prepared well in advance for what may be coming to our shores as well as doing what they can EXPIDITIOUSLY to help our local economy in the process!! So go back to your liberal talking points and shut up about something YOU don't have any "skin in the game in" retards!!

Oh fuck off you stupid piece of shit. WE, the American taxpayer, not just you Bubba Gump motherfuckers are going to have to pay to clean this shit up. So, who the fuck are you to say we don't have "skin the game"?
No, you fuck off idiot! I was responding to your ilk that claim BP is trying to shrug off their responsibility, and I happen to have firsthand experience that they're NOT! Why don't you address the subject matter directly instead of wetting your pants and having to resort to a juvenile namecalling rant that exposes your intellect, or lack thereof......

So what is THAT^^ except juvenile namecalling? Looks like hypocrisy to me.

And of course that tax increase will be passed down to the consumers.

We wouldn't want consumers to actually have to pay for the consequences of using oil. I think only those living on the gulf coast should have to pay for this, obviously, for some reason, they should have to pay more.
Your first sentence was right on the money, then you digressed right back into stupidity. Keep that helmet strapped on tight and remember; DONT EAT THE CRAYONS!!!! ....

Voice of experience?

No, you fuck off idiot! I was responding to your ilk that claim BP is trying to shrug off their responsibility, and I happen to have firsthand experience that they're NOT! Why don't you address the subject matter directly instead of wetting your pants and having to resort to a juvenile namecalling rant that exposes your intellect, or lack thereof......

So today you're in the oil business. The other day you were an unemployment expert because you were running a small business with your finger on the pulse of America.

lol, what a phoney fuck you are.

I think he mentioned in the commercial fishing business. Oil in the Gulf effect that much? Looks like the egg-on-my face insert other foot into mouth person would be you NYC,

Frankly, I was wondering why Mikey is hanging around a message board and not out their saving his business.

I think he mentioned in the commercial fishing business. Oil in the Gulf effect that much? Looks like the egg-on-my face insert other foot into mouth person would be you NYC,

This moron claimed the other day he knew the economy wasn't recovering because he owned a business and that made him smarter than the all the analysis of national data that says otherwise.

You want to defend him on that too?
Let me tell you something you little troglidite, it's because of idiots like you and your liberal leaders policies that small business's are being forced to lay people off and change the scope of work we normally do. On top of that, you want to sit in your mothers basement in your underwear and act like you know something about something because you watch a little "tv". I would love to know what you do for a living you little turd!! I'm sure I'm paying for your ass in some way, as I am the rest of you fucking bloodsucking liberal do-nothings. On the positive side enjoy it while you can because you and all your little troglidite friends days are numbered. The majority is awake and we will put you fucks where you belong in November AND in 2014!!

What happens in 2014? Two mid-terms and skip a presidential election? Aside from that, your final posting appears to be 100% rant and chuck full of name-calling. Hmm, wasn't it you who objected to those methods? You might actually try saying something smart instead of relentless smartASS comments, if you wish to be found credible.

Its my position that its best to get the money out of the oil companies doing the damage.

Why should Chevron have to send more taxes to Uncle Sam because of BP's mess?

If the justice department pursued the corporate death penalty against BP and succeeded, I would think the other oil companies would get in line w/o having to be forced.

Can anyone imagine the turnaround this dispute would have if George Soros was the biggest investor in BP?

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Artur Davis, D-Birmingham, is among 5 House Democrats introducing legislation today that would dramatically increase oil companies' potential liability for offshore spills. The new bill, which mirrors already introduced Senate legislation, would raise the cap on damages -- apart from cleanup costs -- from $75 million to $10 billion.

The measure is aimed at BP PLC, now battling to contain a leak from an exploration well in the Gulf of Mexico.

So? There's no guarantee that proposal will go anywhere.

Forum List

Back