Obama to give Fox News big gift

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Will the FCC Give Rupert Murdoch the Powerful Gift of Media Consolidation?

By Mike Ludwig, Truthout
26 November 2012

Just in time for the holidays, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is considering changes to media cross-ownership rules that watchdogs say could good give Rupert Murdoch's massive conglomerate News Corporation the go-ahead to acquire more big media outlets.

The proposal could also keep women and minorities out of the media market, according to civil rights groups.
Reports suggest Murdoch has recovered from the British phone hacking scandal and is ready to jump back into the media consolidation game. Both the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times are on the list of potential targets.
These acquisitions would be illegal unless the FCC changes its rules, according to the media watchdog group Free Press.

The details are not yet public, but according to reports, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski circulated a proposal last week among his fellow commissioners that would end a longstanding ban on owning the major daily newspaper and radio outlets in the same market, and would allow one company to jointly own a daily newspaper and TV stations in the nation's top 20 markets.

Restrictions on media "cross ownership" were put in place to prevent media owners like Murdoch from monopolizing the news and information available in a single area, especially major media markets. The FCC could vote on the proposal as early as December.

"Chairman Genachowski's attempt to overhaul longstanding media ownership limits is little more than a gift-wrapped giveaway to Rupert Murdoch," said Free Press President Craig Aaron.

<snip>

Okay, let's take Chicago for an example. They've already got Fox broadcast and cable TV outlets, access to the Wall Street Journal, so if Murdoch did acquire the Chicago Tribune newspaper how would that lead to "monopolizing the news and information available in a single area?"

Residents would still have other newspaper choices, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, et al for TV news options, various radio stations, the internet, etc. Monopolize means to assume complete possession or control, which would not be the case in this example given those other options.

Tell the FCC: Stop Rupert Murdoch

media_fcc_murdoch_consolidation_180.gif

Rupert Murdoch, the guy who controls the Fox News Channel, wants to expand his empire, and he's not letting FCC regulations get in his way.

Embattled and under investigation in England for phone hacking, influence peddling and bribery, Murdoch has set his sights set on the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune, the major papers in the nation's second and third-largest cities, where Murdoch already owns several TV stations.1

Shockingly, President Obama's Federal Communications Commission is trying to change the rules so Murdoch can get exactly what he wants. Even worse, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski is hoping the agency can pass these changes without you noticing.

That's why we're joining our allies at Free Press and calling on the FCC to stop trying to change the rules for Rupert Murdoch.

Tell FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski: No more media consolidation for Murdoch.

Murdoch's media grab would be illegal under the current rules. But Chairman Genachowski is pushing the other commissioners for changes that would translate into a giveaway for Murdoch and other media barons.2

These rule changes wouldn't just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC changes the rules, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations, and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too.

Sound familiar? It should -- the FCC is pushing the same Bush-era media consolidation policy that millions rallied against in 2003, and 2007, and was defeated in court just two years ago. The Senate even voted to overturn this consolidation policy back in 2008, rebuking runaway media concentration led by, among others, then-Senator Barack Obama.3

Tell FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski: No more media consolidation for Murdoch.

Chairman Genachowski wants to ram these rules through without holding a single public hearing attended by all five FCC commissioners. He does doesn't even want to hold the vote in public.

These changes signal an astounding apathy toward diversity in media, which will result in fewer women and people of color on the airwaves. And with less independent and critical journalism we need to prevent abuses of power, we're at risk of more government and corporate corruption that goes unreported.4

The FCC could act at any time to demolish the rules that stop Murdoch's power grab, so we have to act now to stop the FCC from taking this perilous step.

Please speak out now and tell FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski: No more media consolidation for Murdoch.

<snip>

Sign petition here

When you get as exorcised about Comcast/NBC/Universal, Time Warner, Disney, Viacom and the rest, I'll bother myself to give a shit.

Until such moment....*yawn*

A monopoly is either what the government says it is or what a dominant company’s competitors claim. The government’s opinion is the only one that counts ~ 24/7 Wall St.

Get real dude/dudette, I've been complaining about media consolidation since the handwriting on the wall became obvious in '97.

Once Obama's dumbass FCC Chairman Genachowski opens this door, the sky's the limit.

Five Things You Should Know About the FCC’s Big Media Giveaway

Sunday 2 December 2012

The Federal Communications Commission is charging ahead with its plan to let Rupert Murdoch gobble up more media outlets. And we've just learned that the FCC may try to hold a secret vote to allow more media consolidation in the U.S. — possibly within the next two weeks.

Murdoch has set his sights on the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune — the major papers in the nation's second- and third-largest cities (where, incidentally, he already owns several TV stations).

Here are five things you need to know about the FCC's giveaway to big media.

1) It will give Rupert Murdoch more power.

murdoch12212.jpg

If the FCC guts its ownership rules, nothing will stop Murdoch and other media giants from getting even more control over your news.

2) It will make our media less diverse.
Women own less than 7 percent of all broadcast outlets, while people of color control only 3.6 percent of all TV stations and just 8 percent of all radio stations. Most of the TV stations women and people of color own fall outside the top four in each media market. As it happens, the FCC proposal targets stations outside the top four — which means that ownership levels for women and people of color would plunge even further under Genachowski’s plan.

3) It will create local media monopolies.
One company will be allowed to own a daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. That one company could be your Internet provider, too.

4) It will mean less news for local communities.
Less competition means less overall news coverage.

5) It goes against the will of the people.
Genachowski’s plan is essentially the same media consolidation proposal the Bush FCC tried to force through in 2007. The Senate voted to repeal it. A federal court overturned it. And 99 percent of the public comments the FCC received opposed it.

Tell the FCC: no more media for Murdoch.

Will he consider revoking Soros' Media Matters tax exempt status? If the left quit whining about Fox and paid more attention to the criminal negligence in the federal government we might have a chance to survive the next four years.

Will he consider revoking Soros' Media Matters tax exempt status? If the left quit whining about Fox and paid more attention to the criminal negligence in the federal government we might have a chance to survive the next four years.

Survive the next four years? The right wing was talking "the country is doomed" stuff when Clinton was in the White House.

Survive the next four years? The right wing was talking "the country is doomed" stuff when Clinton was in the White House.

Can you believe it? JFK would be considered a hard line conservative and the diddling degenerate might even be considered a moderate these days. My have progressives progressed. Fox ain't your enemy you dumb asses. Dan Rather and most of the CBS executives should be in federal prison for trying to influence a presidential election with forged documents.

When you get as exorcised about Comcast/NBC/Universal, Time Warner, Disney, Viacom and the rest, I'll bother myself to give a shit.

A monopoly is either what the government says it is or what a dominant company’s competitors claim. The government’s opinion is the only one that counts ~ 24/7 Wall St.

Get real dude/dudette, I've been complaining about media consolidation since the handwriting on the wall became obvious in '97.

Once Obama's dumbass FCC Chairman Genachowski opens this door, the sky's the limit.

Five Things You Should Know About the FCC’s Big Media Giveaway

Sunday 2 December 2012

The Federal Communications Commission is charging ahead with its plan to let Rupert Murdoch gobble up more media outlets. And we've just learned that the FCC may try to hold a secret vote to allow more media consolidation in the U.S. — possibly within the next two weeks.

Murdoch has set his sights on the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune — the major papers in the nation's second- and third-largest cities (where, incidentally, he already owns several TV stations).

Here are five things you need to know about the FCC's giveaway to big media.

1) It will give Rupert Murdoch more power.

2vt4gud.jpg

The change in FCC rules would allow them to expand their empires as well.

Does that make you "really give a shit"?

I don't know if I do.

The FCC is another protection racket that we'd all be better off without.....A throwback to radio days that has outlived its usefulness.

That notwithstanding, why is it that the leftist fruitcakes like the OP only squeal about Murdoch if the same rule changes apply to everyone?

The FCC is another protection racket that we'd all be better off without.....A throwback to radio days that has outlived its usefulness.

That notwithstanding, why is it that the leftist fruitcakes like the OP only squeal about Murdoch if the same rule changes apply to everyone?

Interesting, I call rightwingers (without identifying anyone in particular) jerks and cowards and get threatened with expulsion from the USMB. Then I was given demerits that will work toward that end, then-----then today, a poster launches a personal attack on me-----on me personally, and-----and nuthin' happens?-----WTF? -pewsh!-

links:
Earlier today I posted this - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Earlier today I posted this -

Buck up dude/dudette, ad hominen attacks are nothing more than an admission of a weak argument.

Because Murdoch is a boogeyman to the left.

You know, like George Soros is to the right.

Couldn't care less.

Fact remains is that none of this would be happening without the FCC protection racket running interference for corporate media, the same way that the FDA does for BigPharm.

But you'll never ever hear complainy-pants snivelers like the OP utter a peep about those travesties.

Couldn't care less.

Fact remains is that none of this would be happening without the FCC protection racket running interference for corporate media, the same way that the FDA does for BigPharm.
I agree, completely and unequivocally.

But you'll never ever hear complainy-pants snivelers like the OP utter a peep about those travesties.

True. But there are plenty of other "complainy-pants snivelers" who do.

We (members of this message board specifically, people generally) are all just "complainy-pants snivelers" when it comes down to it.

Couldn't care less.

-pewsh!- Dude/dudette, I know rightwingers just make chit up as they go (see Romney campaign) but thinking you can channel fellow posters thoughts then project what you're going to hear from them is not only weird but ridiculous, but back to the subject of this thread;

I keep looking for the overwhelming liberal media rightwingers talk about but can't seem to find to much.
Six media companies control 90% of our media marketplace are you able decode the rightwing analysis that they are all overwhelmingly liberal/progressive companies?

Learn more about media consolidation in this infographic from Frugal Dad:​

IllusionofChoice.jpg

Clinton had a brain, monica gave it lip service.

Clinton had a brain, monica gave it lip service.

Does this subject make you yawn? Oddball sez: "Until such moment....*yawn*" :eusa_angel:

I keep looking for the overwhelming liberal media rightwingers talk about but can't seem to find to much.
Six media companies control 90% of our media marketplace are you able decode the rightwing analysis that they are all overwhelmingly liberal/progressive companies?

Okay, let's take Chicago for an example. They've already got Fox broadcast and cable TV outlets, access to the Wall Street Journal, so if Murdoch did acquire the Chicago Tribune newspaper how would that lead to "monopolizing the news and information available in a single area?"

Residents would still have other newspaper choices, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, et al for TV news options, various radio stations, the internet, etc. Monopolize means to assume complete possession or control, which would not be the case in this example given those other options.

Logic doesn't work with idiots.

Forum List

Back