Obama to Force Kids to Serve the Community

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

http://change.gov/americaserves/

Last edited:
that's probably one of the better ideas the brockguy has come up with. Teach people to give something and not just sit around saying gimme gimme gimmme..

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

America Serves | Change.gov

I wonder if he will have a draft for the Civilian Security Force he is building.

It's a great idea-----get students to do the work for free so no one needs to hire ayone to do the job. Who needs jobs? :rolleyes:

Gosh, serving the community!!! What a horrible concept....

Oh, the horror!!!!

"Calling on", and "encouraging" americans to serve their communities.

It doesn't say anything about "forcing" them. Do you enjoy lying?

What is it with you republicans? People should be encouraged to serve their communities, and if Obama wants to give them college scholarship money if they agree to do so, that sounds emminently sensible to me.

Why don't you republicans want to serve your country and community?

Last edited:
On, the horror!!!!

"Calling on", and "encouraging" americans to serve their communities.

It doesn't say anything about "forcing" them. Do you enjoy lying?

What is it with you republicans? People should be encouraged to serve their communities, and if Obama wants to give them college scholarship money if they agree to do so, that sounds emminently sensible to me.

Why don't you republicans want to serve your country and community?

Hmmm...will recruiters for these programs be allowed on military bases?

looks like we have a solid nominee for "Stupidest Thread of the Week"!

I agree with calling for people to volunteer their services... perhaps give kids a notation of this on the HS transcript for preference...

As long as it is not forced or required for graduation... for there are kids with other responsibilities... like for example when I was a kid, I was working 39 hours a week (1 less than full time, because it was illegal to have kids under 18 working full time during the school year) to help support my family... some have other activities for their future including sports or they are taking college classes ahead of time... ... I cannot see this as a mandated requirement... and I don't think Obama means it to be, at least I really hope that is the case

I agree with calling for people to volunteer their services... perhaps give kids a notation of this on the HS transcript for preference...

As long as it is not forced or required for graduation... for there are kids with other responsibilities... like for example when I was a kid, I was working 39 hours a week (1 less than full time, because it was illegal to have kids under 18 working full time during the school year) to help support my family... some have other activities for their future including sports or they are taking college classes ahead of time... ... I cannot see this as a mandated requirement... and I don't think Obama means it to be, at least I really hope that is the case

hmm--
by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

It will be forced upon you.

Service will be a requirement for graduation. Just wait and see.

Personally, I would not have had time to volunteer in high school or college. I was working at least 30 hours a week since I was 15 (i lied about my age to get hired) and in college I was working a full time night gig in a group home and did 2 double shifts as a security guard on weekends. I am glad I got my degree before BHO was pres.

So I of course disagree with forced service but we'll see it anyway

I'm starting to think you were lying when you told Caligirl that you would be happy if Obama won.

You didn't provide a link. Why?

Obama's plan doesn't have the word "force" or "require" in it.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf

They are asking for 100 hours of community service from college kids in exchange for scholarships.

And they want goals and guidelines to promote community service for middle school kids.

I'm starting to think you were lying when you told Caligirl that you would be happy if Obama won.

You didn't provide a link. Why?

Obama's plan doesn't have the word "force" or "require" in it.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf

They are asking for 100 hours of community service from college kids in exchange for scholarships.

And they want goals and guidelines to promote community service for middle school kids.

I don't believe there should be any monetary reward for it... that would sort of be against the whole concept of volunteering, now wouldn't it??

But having it noted and documented so that it can bee seen as a positive thing when interviewing for jobs, college acceptance, etc... that is perfectly reasonable

New Topics

Forum List

Back